Ratchet & Clank - Rift Apart (PS5) Page 4

• Decks 27 Apr 2021 10:19:26 30,855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The vast, vast majority of people wouldnt notice a reduction in graphical fidelity if it meant keeping the cost down.
    The absolute frenzy around the 2 new consoles which mainly provide better graphics would suggest you're underestimating how much people want their games to look better.
  • garsync 27 Apr 2021 10:21:33 290 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The vast, vast majority of people wouldnt notice a reduction in graphical fidelity if it meant keeping the cost down.
    Yeah, weird that one of the big three haven't actually made that their strategy for years.... :)
  • PierrePressure 27 Apr 2021 10:24:16 1,472 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Decks yeah, I know gameplay is king but I am a massive graphics whore. When I'm trying to justify the expense to the other half that's the only thing I can really point out.
  • nickthegun 27 Apr 2021 10:24:25 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    The absolute frenzy around the 2 new consoles which mainly provide better graphics would suggest you're underestimating how much people want their games to look better.
    There was a frenzy for everything this last year. People were bored and stuck at home.
  • neems 27 Apr 2021 10:24:38 5,608 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not everything goes up in price, there are other factors at work.

If the £70 price point has a significant impact on sales, we will see the price drop.
  • nickthegun 27 Apr 2021 10:25:46 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    garsync wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yeah, weird that one of the big three haven't actually made that their strategy for years.... :)
    And that another one of those released a version of their console with worse graphic capabilities specifically to keep cost down and its selling really well.
  • nickthegun 27 Apr 2021 10:27:20 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    neems wrote:
    Not everything goes up in price, there are other factors at work.

If the £70 price point has a significant impact on sales, we will see the price drop.
    It wont, it will always be 70. It will stay where it is but eventually the market will mature, prices for slightly older games will go back to where they were in the PS4 era and people like me will stop complaining.
  • monkman76 27 Apr 2021 10:28:41 18,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    But how much less does it cost to develop for the Series S? Or would it, if there were standalone S titles. People would still expect the same incredible lighting, AI, etc, just at a lower resolution. I don't think that would save much time or money.
  • nickthegun 27 Apr 2021 10:31:04 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    But how much less does it cost to develop for the Series S? Or would it, if there were standalone S titles. People would still expect the same incredible lighting, AI, etc, just at a lower resolution. I don't think that would save much time or money.
    The really important point about that is; I dont care. Its a machine I dont have to buy games for, it was super cheap and I have been perfectly happy with what Ive played so far.
  • monkman76 27 Apr 2021 10:35:10 18,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fair enough, but the differentiator there is game pass, not how much it costs to develop for the weaker machine. If there were PS5 lite I imagine a 1080p Returnal would still be £70 on it.
  • Killerbee 27 Apr 2021 10:35:17 5,232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    I think half the problem with the £70 price is that most retail seems to be sticking to RRP or near as damn it.

My final PS4 game - The Last of Us II - was £40-45 from Amazon on release but the RRP was what, £59.99?

Basically I think once retail gets around to offering a discount of £10-15 on RRP, it wonít be so bad.
  • Decks 27 Apr 2021 10:38:27 30,855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheapest way to buy it seems to be buying the credit from shopto, works out about £62.
  • nickthegun 27 Apr 2021 10:39:37 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Fair enough, but the differentiator there is game pass
    Which goes back to my point about media being worthless. If something is on game pass it could retail for 150 quid for all I care. To me it costs the same price as gato roboto.
  • monkman76 27 Apr 2021 10:48:04 18,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah. It'll be interesting to see if the fact that almost everything on the rival machine is free with GP will have any effect on Sony's pricing strategy as the gen progresses.
  • monkman76 27 Apr 2021 10:49:40 18,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In general though this seems a pointless debate (even for here). It's OK to grumble about games being £70 and then still buy them, just as it's OK to refuse to pay that amount. Either way I'm sure both this and Returnal will sell pretty well.
  • nickthegun 27 Apr 2021 10:54:22 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, my point, really, is that nobody should be surprised that people are moaning about the price because the retail landscape has changed so dramatically over the years. Its societies fault, man.
  • Gibroon 27 Apr 2021 10:56:21 2,654 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @monkman76

When MS are barely taking any next gen games out, we are not going to know what their price stategy is for releasing a XBOX Series X game. If they are going cheap their output will be cheap. That's why gamepass is what it is, cheap.
  • Rogueywon 27 Apr 2021 10:59:10 12,260 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Yeah. It'll be interesting to see if the fact that almost everything on the rival machine is free with GP will have any effect on Sony's pricing strategy as the gen progresses.
    As per my post on the previous page, the test of the pricing strategy comes when Call of Duty: Modern Spunkgargleweewee Ops lands in November and costs £10 more on PS5 than on the Xbox platforms. If that tips a lot of the more casual market towards buying a Series S/X instead of the PS5, Sony drop their prices. If it doesn't, they don't. It's still mostly only "enthusiast" games who've picked up the new consoles at this point, so the full impacts of the pricing strategy aren't coming through.
  • monkman76 27 Apr 2021 11:03:38 18,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It won't though will it. Seems only to be first party Sony exclusives, multi-plat games are the same (lower) price on both sides so far.
  • monkman76 27 Apr 2021 11:06:45 18,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gibroon wrote:
    @monkman76

When MS are barely taking any next gen games out, we are not going to know what their price stategy is for releasing a XBOX Series X game. If they are going cheap their output will be cheap. That's why gamepass is what it is, cheap.
    Not sure what this means but I don't think I agree. GP is cheap because MS is throwing their multi-billion dollar kitchen sink at it to win back market share. They'll presumably (hopefully) keep Halo Infinite back until it's really fucking good, and it'll still be free. Same with the next Elder Scrolls game etc.
  • Killerbee 27 Apr 2021 11:09:00 5,232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    Gibroon wrote:
    @monkman76

Either that or theyíll look to monetise games in other ways.

Itís one thing I like about Sonyís first party output is that (with a very few exceptions), you generally buy a game and thatís it. No micro-transactions or season passes. DLC and pre-order bonuses yes, but I donít object to that as they are optional and seldom undermine the core game.
  • Wayne 27 Apr 2021 11:12:55 3,955 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Really glad this R&C thread turned into a discussion about the price of games and then descended into a fanboy war.
  • Rhaegyr 27 Apr 2021 11:16:20 5,494 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Except it didn't; it turned into a discussion about different approaches by different manufacturers re: pricing. Not really a fanboy war.

Dead on with the first point (though it's kinda relevant to the game itself). Probably best discussed in the PS5 thread.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 11:17:22 27-04-2021
  • nickthegun 27 Apr 2021 11:16:47 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    How is it a fanboy war, Wayne?
  • Decks 27 Apr 2021 11:19:06 30,855 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maybe his scales of justice are broke too.
  • Gibroon 27 Apr 2021 12:09:06 2,654 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @monkman76

They have spent a lot of money on gamepass and buying Bethesda but they have not been spending money on developing new ips for their new console which is a bit odd. When is their next exclusive for Series X for example? Just seems a bit cheap to be waiting for 3rd party developers to do their job for them.

I also think any exclusive game is going to be gimped as it will need to run on Series S.
  • monkman76 27 Apr 2021 12:14:44 18,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The promise of the Series S is that it does exactly what the X does, but at a quarter resolution (or half, or whatever 1440p is). That should make supporting both platforms fairly easy without needing to gimp anything. Whether that works out in reality I guess we'll see.
  • Wayne 27 Apr 2021 12:14:52 3,955 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    How is it a fanboy war, Wayne?
    See Gibroonís latest comment.
  • monkman76 27 Apr 2021 12:15:56 18,928 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Doesn't a war need two sides, and at least a little aggression and antagonism? Not seeing that here.
  • JamboWayOh 27 Apr 2021 12:16:57 24,972 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    User Wayne really does have the hottest takes. I'd give him a forum award for that ability alone. And probably another for the 'Just asking questions' award.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.