Good gaming podcast? Page 2

• richardiox 4 May 2021 21:09:34 9,682 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wtf Brad is leaving Giant Bomb too? Jeff must have some heinous flatulence.
  • the_milkybar_kid 4 May 2021 21:32:54 8,426 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Can't believe Vinny. alex and brad are leaving, thats everyone gone from GB east. Been listening to GB for years and Jeff is the last one from the early days. The group dynamic took a hit when Ryan died (older podcasts was so much better) The new hires have never been as good, Dan was awful, thick man child - who had to have things explained to him and annoying MGS and rasslin fanboy. Abby and ben were really awful each in their own way. Jan and others were ok

can't see the site recovering, its strange more people leaving after GB got purchased
    Gutted if I'm honest. First podcast I tried and it's the first one I download every week. Don't see how it continues.

Glad I'm not the only one that couldn't stand Ben or Abby. Stopped me from listening to the last few year reviews, especially with Abby turning everything into a fememist movement.

Is there any reason they've left?
  • Zomoniac 4 May 2021 21:45:06 10,486 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Itís pretty much 6 months to the day since the takeover, likely the contractual minimum period. Not sure if Jeff is staying because he wants to or if he has a longer earnout term.
  • Ocrovastru 4 May 2021 21:51:05 687 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @spookyxelectric I'm losing interest quite quickly. Its just him shouting 'obviously bad thing is obviously bad' over and over with fairly crap attempts at 'zany' comedy.

Went downhill when the cool Irish guy left.

I'm now sat wondering why I've been listening to it for the last 6 months. Might be time to unsub now I've actually written it down an read my own words.
  • IJ 4 May 2021 21:54:44 1,023 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Another +1 for ĎThe Computer Game Show.í Iíve been listening for years and itís a great bunch. Their E3 and end of year award shows are brilliant. I was put off after listening to the first but quickly warmed to them. I really donít like a lot of the USA shouty ones Iíve tried.

The Backpage podcast is new and really good so far, a nice in between from the boredom of Cane & Rinse (Iíve tried but they spend 15 minutes going through the exact release date of every version on each platform ffs) and the more blokes outside the industry norm of The Computer Game Show.
  • IJ 4 May 2021 21:54:45 1,023 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Zomoniac 4 May 2021 22:00:46 10,486 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I like Cane & Rinse, but only using the remove silence and 1.7x speed options on Overcast. Leon talks so slowly. I had to stop listening to Sound of Play for that reason, canít have the high speed mode on since it breaks the music, but without it I canít get through the talking bits. I only listen to Ryanís mega medleys now.
  • hedben2013 4 May 2021 22:03:50 2,071 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WTF on the Giant Bomb news. I didn't mind Dan, Ben or Abby so much, but they weren't exactly the beating heart of the show. But losing Alex, Vinny and Brad all at once is a real blow. Shit.

Edited by hedben2013 at 22:04:19 04-05-2021
  • KD 4 May 2021 22:59:24 3,369 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I followed them for about 5 or so years, the giantbomb infinite stream on twitch was a god send during lockdown.

I dont hold opinions on who they had as staff, fuck doing that job and running it with public opinion being so heavy on them, that BBC doc about the murder that involved some fan was weird and draining for them more than most I bet.

Edited by KD at 23:00:35 04-05-2021
  • Darth_Flibble 5 May 2021 08:06:37 5,209 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    Gutted if I'm honest. First podcast I tried and it's the first one I download every week. Don't see how it continues.

Glad I'm not the only one that couldn't stand Ben or Abby. Stopped me from listening to the last few year reviews, especially with Abby turning everything into a fememist movement.

She made the GOTY podcasts awful, shouting if she didn't get her way one year then acting the victim the next. Actually felt sorry for Dan, when she really unprofessionally during goty towards him. They changed the format of the GOTY because of this, and the last was awful. Ben seemed to didn't like the public attention and abby is doing her own streaming
  • Gl3n Moderator 5 May 2021 08:24:14 6,884 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bloody hell, that's Giantbomb gone then.

I've been listening to this group on and off since... 2000? When did Gamespot start being a thing?

Since that ignorant fella left the east crew it was on a downward slide. I'm disappointed this is where things are at though.

I've struggled to find any other decent gaming podcasts.
  • DangerousDave_87 5 May 2021 09:05:31 6,969 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    'How did this get played' is alright. Depending on the game its can be great. It's mostly about bad games, but they cover popular ones, too.
  • Mola_Ram 5 May 2021 09:09:19 25,715 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Personally I really like the RPS Electronic Wireless Show. It's heavy on the bants as opposed to serious discussion, but imo the bants are pretty great.
  • hedben2013 5 May 2021 09:11:23 2,071 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:

She made the GOTY podcasts awful, shouting if she didn't get her way one year then acting the victim the next. Actually felt sorry for Dan, when she really unprofessionally during goty towards him. They changed the format of the GOTY because of this, and the last was awful. Ben seemed to didn't like the public attention and abby is doing her own streaming
    Weird, I listened to the same GOTY coverage and didn't pick up on this at all. The harshest criticism I could level at Abby is she wasn't very detailed when discussing games she'd been playing. It felt like she was there more for features than games coverage.

Anyway it doesn't really matter now, whatever comes out of this is going to be vastly different even with Jeff still there as the last of the old guard. I just hope the podcast is still good, I was always there more for the podcast than any of their video stuff.
  • monkman76 5 May 2021 09:22:07 18,564 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pretty gutted about Giant Bomb. Damn. Must be hard doing that for 12 years odd though. Vinny mentioned he owes his wife a honeymoon from about a decade ago. :/

Hope they carry on with something public facing, but I can understand why they might not want to.
  • Baihu1983 5 May 2021 11:45:13 13,810 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    KD wrote:
    Watching the current live bomb cast? Vinny Alex and Brad leaving Friday, see what Jeff builds this time from it.
    Reckon Jeff will leave after the merger is complete.
    Hopefully they all form a new site.
  • Fake_Blood 5 May 2021 12:00:53 10,899 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A time back I heard Jeff say what the elevator pitch was for a Giantbomb, and it started with ďGiantbomb is a personality driven websiteÖĒ so I donít see how they can go on without the personalities.
    Been thinking about this all day, I liked pretty much everyone on the team.
  • KD 5 May 2021 12:10:23 3,369 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think they will go into non public facing jobs, Vinny at least after his talk in that podcast, Jeff will build something new or die trying he's quoted somewhere, gamespot story I believe.
  • JYM60 5 May 2021 12:10:44 18,914 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    GB was definitely my go to after the whole 1up thing, and when post 1up podcasts started ending it was the only one I listened to. Certainly didn't listen as much recently though.
  • Baihu1983 5 May 2021 12:11:37 13,810 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rorie also leaving so it's just Jeff, Jan and Jason
  • scott1987 5 May 2021 12:16:32 271 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The IGN UK podcast is good and funny, not just gaming which is good. Also Xbox unlocked for obviously Xbox news.

Some other suggestions in this thread though that look interesting to me, I have so many though I donít think I need more.
  • KD 5 May 2021 12:56:50 3,369 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Baihu1983 He said in chat yesterday he was staying
  • Cpl.Hicks 5 May 2021 13:25:13 105 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    KD wrote:
    I followed them for about 5 or so years, the giantbomb infinite stream on twitch was a god send during lockdown.

I dont hold opinions on who they had as staff, fuck doing that job and running it with public opinion being so heavy on them, that BBC doc about the murder that involved some fan was weird and draining for them more than most I bet.

Hit the nail on the head.

Been listening to the podcasts for a decade now and occasionally dipping into the video stuff. Genuinely gutted, but understand the decision and nothing lasts forever.
  • Darth_Flibble 5 May 2021 13:59:26 5,209 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Some think the new owners who got gamespot, GB and Cnet are going to merge GS and GB into one company and put everyone in office not in the SF area. Everyone moves on from jobs but 3 people at the same time, is not normal.

I worked on this amazing glossy lifestyle magazine, won lots of awards etc. Cunts at trinity mirror took over the company and some soulless suit decided to take the business mag and merge into the magazine I worked on and make much cheaper to produce and cheap templated look. It killed off the combined magazine in over a year

I can see ex GB staff setting a new site or be on twitch using patreon
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 May 2021 15:32:28 17,513 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I quite like that Slightly Something Else on the Escapist is about general themes rather than the latest releases or controversies etc
  • Wayne 6 May 2021 10:26:40 3,362 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We had a chat about Returnal lately, if anyone is interested:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMM-7oM8ffY
    It's also on podcast apps if you want to avoid gameplay.
  • Baihu1983 6 May 2021 10:35:44 13,810 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jeff on this week's departures

https://www.reddit.com/r/giantbomb/comments/n5yjq0/jeff_talks_more_about_the_crew_leaving_and_the/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Sounds really upset and seems whatever changes are being planned the others didn't agree with
  • Gl3n Moderator 6 May 2021 21:31:52 6,884 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    In June 2017 I was on a work trip driving all over the place in CA, starting in SF. It was great, beautiful weather, the company had booked a decent car for once. Independence from colleagues. Highway 1 and stopping at high end burger places on the way.

I stopped at a best buy in monterrey and bought a switch. Driving, I was listening to the beast cast and enjoyed it thoroughly. They had chemistry, it was chaotic and fun. There were lots of games around to enjoy.

I'd get out amidst Silicon Valley and meet with all sort of interesting people on the Google campus. Good times and a world away to now in many ways.

Listening to those ignorant but likeable chumps was a great part of that trip. The quality has been trending down significantly since then.

The bombcast has felt lifeless for several years however.
  • Baihu1983 7 May 2021 07:18:40 13,810 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vinny didn't last long before the tears started

https://youtu.be/bYW2xKpA3ts
  • monkman76 7 May 2021 07:37:17 18,564 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They got Austin, Dan and Abby back! Aw.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.