Following EURO 2020/21 June-July 2021

First Previous
  • Gunzberg 1 Jun 2021 09:58:25 3,183 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hey peeps, I can't find an existing thread for the upcoming tournament due to the borked search function, so I am going to assume there's none.

Personally, I am looking forward to Italy vs Turkey (as a neutral), England vs Croatia (may the better team win) and France vs Germany (apparently as Germany we're really shit now with Loew still sticking around leading us to lose vs Macedonia...)

Any predictions and matches you are looking forward to?
  • Baihu1983 1 Jun 2021 10:20:28 14,298 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is VAR involved?
  • General_Martok 1 Jun 2021 11:54:35 2,447 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not looking forward to England being shit. I'm looking forward to seeing brexit and tory voting England fans cry.

Edited by General_Martok at 11:54:52 01-06-2021
  • JYM60 1 Jun 2021 12:05:05 19,036 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I am looking forward to England being shit.
  • creepiest-lizard 1 Jun 2021 12:16:13 2,868 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have no real confidence that England will do well with Southgate in charge. He's too cowardly and defensive in his tactics.
    We don't have an amazing team by any stretch but a coach that set us up to attack could give any team a run for their money.
    I'd be happy if we went out having given it a good go rather than the insipid capitulation that is inevitably going to happen under this chump.
  • Dirt3 1 Jun 2021 12:30:00 1,734 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    I have no real confidence that England will do well with Southgate in charge. He's too cowardly and defensive in his tactics.
    We don't have an amazing team by any stretch but a coach that set us up to attack could give any team a run for their money.
    I'd be happy if we went out having given it a good go rather than the insipid capitulation that is inevitably going to happen under this chump.
    What ?

England are highest in the FIFA rankings they have been for some time.

There is a huge choice for some positions.

I think Englands problem is that we have always had good players, but a poor team.

As for England doing well under Southgate, we finished 4th in the last world cup IIRC !
  • rammy18 1 Jun 2021 12:30:55 94 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    France have the standout squad, they could probably put two squads out and both would do well.
    Overall I'd say we're in the group of teams behind France. In attack though...I think we have the standout group of players. Mbappe aside I'd take ours over theirs.
    Question is will Southgate try and play to our strengths, or bolster the defensive issues with a back five and/or two holding midfielders?
    History suggests he'll go cautious - but I have everything crossed he finds a way of putting out a team containing Mount, Foden, Grealish and Sancho. If they click you'd hope our ball retention issues against the betters sides are a thing of the past
  • Ultrasoundwave 1 Jun 2021 12:32:12 6,422 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I’m looking forward to England playing Pickford for some reason and an outfield 10 of right-backs.

Also….if this rumour of Henderson getting picked ahead of Ward-Prowse because of the clubs they play for is true then that’s one of the worst decisions I’ve seen….especially considering that Henderson shouldn’t start over Rice or Philips anyway.

As for Wales……Rob Page has picked an uncapped 19-year old who’s played 1 game for Cardiff…..so he’s off to a blinding start whilst Giggs is off trying on orange jumpsuits.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Jun 2021 12:32:35 19,679 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There are a lot more likeable players around the England set-up than some of the prime bellends there’s been over the last 20 years. But it is still quite satisfying to see those fans getting mugged off by the inevitable collapse.
  • creepiest-lizard 1 Jun 2021 12:33:11 2,868 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dirt3
    Despite all that I don't think that FIFA ranking remotely resembles the reality and I think I can count on one hand the good performances we've had under Southgate
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Jun 2021 12:40:36 31,133 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Scotland will be shit and finish last in the group.
    You can put your mortgage on that.
  • Dirt3 1 Jun 2021 12:56:57 1,734 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    @Dirt3
    Despite all that I don't think that FIFA ranking remotely resembles the reality and I think I can count on one hand the good performances we've had under Southgate
    Well he only has to make the semis to be the most successful manager in terms of tournament positions since Alf Ramsay.

He is not standout in terms of management performance, but sits in a cluster of the second tier within a couple of % points of each other.

Capello stands a bit apart from the rest of them.

I wouldn't say Southgate is particularly defensive. England teams under him have scored at a rate of about 2 goals per game, which is consistent with Capello, Sven and Hodgson - pretty much all the managers this century. compare him to Robson who had almost 2x the number of games, but only scored 50% more goals than Southgate.
  • creepiest-lizard 1 Jun 2021 13:02:20 2,868 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dirt3
    You do like your stats😉 We actually looked like a team that could win the World cup under Robson and played good football. Can't say the same under Southgate.
  • Dirt3 1 Jun 2021 13:13:07 1,734 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    @Dirt3
    You do like your stats😉 We actually looked like a team that could win the World cup under Robson and played good football. Can't say the same under Southgate.
    What other objective measure is there other than the stats ?

You can argue forever about whether you think he's great, crap etc. But at the end of the day its only the stats that make an impartial assessment of the performance that isn't subject to someones personal prejudices.

I think if I had to make one criticism, it would be he had a bit of an easy ride to the semis in the world cup, so you might argue that flattered the team a bit. Similarly we've got a fairly good group in euros.

I think in order to make the semis they are far better off finishing runners up in D, then facing the runners up in E to make it to the quarters.
  • SnackPlissken 1 Jun 2021 13:29:44 3,458 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We've got quite the run of form, including beating England 1-0. I think Belgium will give us a good thumping but I would expect us to squeeze through against Russia and Finland..
  • Jono62 1 Jun 2021 13:37:58 27,226 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    England should be one of the favourites. We are very strong in all areas except possibly goalkeeper, but Southgate is rubbish and can see us limping to a quarter final defeat.
  • TheSaint 1 Jun 2021 13:43:23 20,922 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The decision to take Henderson instead of JWP is stupid but also so predictable.
  • Vortex808 1 Jun 2021 13:48:02 15,495 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm just looking forward to seeing scotland at a tournament again!

Once we get binned, then I will pivot to Italy as my default 'back up' team.

:-)
  • Ultrasoundwave 1 Jun 2021 14:02:52 6,422 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    England should be one of the favourites. We are very strong in all areas except possibly goalkeeper, but Southgate is rubbish and can see us limping to a quarter final defeat.
    England will make the same mistakes they always make :

They’ll take someone based on who they play for (Henderson over Ward-Prowse), not form.

They’ll pick some players to start based on either reputation or price tag (Pickford), not based on form (Henderson, Johnstone).

They’ll favour a defensive system despite having ridiculous
    attacking talent (midfield 3 will probably have both Henderson and Phillips alongside Rice when it could have Grealish, Mount, Foden, etc).

The first England manager who goes to a tournament and attacks teams will win them a trophy…..but it’ll never happen.
  • Gunzberg 1 Jun 2021 14:32:48 3,183 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    https://youtu.be/qmOVybEgrFk
    Here's an Optimist for you
  • Baihu1983 1 Jun 2021 15:03:34 14,298 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lingard left out after a great season
  • SnackPlissken 1 Jun 2021 15:03:54 3,458 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Definitely never seen England give it a proper go at a tournament in my lifetime. I don't know why they consistently play with the handbrake on. Just give it a go.. its like the manager doesn't want to face the backlash of the media for getting thumped.
    My Dad always banged on about World Cup 1986. Denmark literal no hopers smashed Uruguay 6-1, beat West Germany 2-0.. then got thumped 5-1 by Spain. Just have a go ffs.
  • Jono62 1 Jun 2021 15:22:01 27,226 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Lingard left out after a great season
    Half season and he tailed off at the end.
  • Gibroon 1 Jun 2021 16:13:50 2,653 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Are England still doing that thing with taking an injured player with them (eg Harry Mcguire) to sit on a bench until the knock out stages?
  • Baihu1983 1 Jun 2021 16:44:09 14,298 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Of course
  • Gibroon 1 Jun 2021 16:50:03 2,653 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Things never change.

Expecting a typical scottish glorious failure, missing out on one of the 3rd place doggy chances by goal difference.
  • Baihu1983 1 Jun 2021 16:58:02 14,298 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And you guessed it by the way. Mcguireis the injured player that's been picked.

Maybe he threatened to fight Southgate if left out
  • Gibroon 1 Jun 2021 17:00:01 2,653 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    "He's a leader in the dressing room our 'arry." or something.
  • Baihu1983 1 Jun 2021 17:06:13 14,298 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Taken from sky...

ENGLAND ANNOUNCE FINAL 26-MAN SQUAD

England's 26-man squad for this summer’s European Championship…

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Manchester United), Sam Johnstone (West Brom), Jordan Pickford (Everton).

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolves), Reece James (Chelsea), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds), Declan Rice (West Ham).

Forwards: Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City).
  • askew 1 Jun 2021 17:10:45 24,005 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ATTACK
  • First Previous
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.