LG OLEDs - get the CX or wait for next year's models? Page 2

• THFourteen 21 Jul 2021 13:25:44 54,901 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    jimnastics wrote:
    Does the CX have decent audio passthrough for HDMI ARC? My current TV (a 5 year old Samsung led) has poor support, it can't send any 5.1 signal back to my amp that it can decode. Hoping things have improved since!
    Iím sure if a CX couldnít do it you should probably start pointing a finger at your amp. Or the HDMI cable
    Or the red and white audio cables.
  • Wayne 21 Jul 2021 13:27:36 3,955 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    @Wayne you have 2 tvs side by side in the living room?

Why?
    So his other half can watch tv / play a game whilst he does the same?
    Nailed it.
  • THFourteen 21 Jul 2021 13:36:33 54,901 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    @Wayne you have 2 tvs side by side in the living room?

Why?
    So his other half can watch tv / play a game whilst he does the same?
    Nailed it.
    I just bought a projector for similar purposes, been playing Cyberjunk beamed onto the wall whilst the mrs is watching Love Island.
  • Phattso 21 Jul 2021 13:38:02 27,313 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    WHATEVER HAPPENED TO JUST TALKING TO EACH OTHER LIKE REAL FUCKING PEOPLE EH?!
  • General_Martok 21 Jul 2021 14:30:46 2,450 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What's wrong with using xcloud on your mobile huh?! :p
  • CalamityJames 21 Jul 2021 14:52:04 311 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wayne wrote:
    I'm kinda stunned that anyone thinks a B8 needs replaced. Still an absolutely stellar TV.
    I mean, it is a great TV, I'm not going to argue with you there. And if I was still using a PS4 and Xbox One, I wouldn't have considered it. But as others have pointed out, Digital Foundry keeps mentioning what a big benefit VRR is in certain games, and it'd be nice to be able to use 120Hz in games that support it without having to switch to 1080p.

I tend to give my "old" tech (that's never actually that old) away to friends or family when I replace it, or sell it to them very cheap. So it ends up making someone else happy too. My original plan was to give the B8 to my brother in London; there used to be a little industry here of people driving to the UK in their Transit vans and dropping things off/picking things up along the way (so it was a cheap way to send something bulky). But I think Brexit may have killed that. I've written to my usual van dude to ask, but I'm not too hopeful, I can see from his Facebook page that his more recent runs have been finishing in Amsterdam rather than the UK.

If I can't get it to my brother, I'll sell it to a mate here for a couple of hundred quid, he helped me fit the wall mount and was absolutely blown away after he'd seen it -- he went straight home to his wife to try and convince her that they needed one, only to be told there was absolutely no way she'd ever allow him to spend that much on a telly! He'd definitely be overjoyed to take it off me cheap, and he and his wife help me out with a lot of bureaucratic stuff that my Czech language skills aren't quite up to par for, so I don't mind giving them a bargain. I get to treat myself to the latest and greatest stuff while also treating the people I care about (though obviously the main factor here is that I'm lucky enough to be pretty financially secure nowadays).
  • Worlds_ 21 Jul 2021 18:57:29 137 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I have the CX but as long as whatever LG a you have does 4K and HDR, youíre set.

Fuck this 120 fps crap. Games looks stunning on OLED at 60 fps. So, the B version will still be great.
  • ThrowingTuba 21 Jul 2021 19:08:50 274 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My CX turned up at lunch time, Iíve set it up but the only action itís seen is four episodes of Hey DuggeeÖ is manual calibration still a thing? Spent hours agonising over that in the past but not that fussed there days.
  • Technoishmatt 21 Jul 2021 19:20:03 5,338 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For competitive shooters I'd go for 120fps every time.
  • ChiefGB 21 Jul 2021 19:23:02 13,805 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love my LG oled (c7) but the fact remains they are prone to image burn. Mostly thanks to lockdown and my destiny obsession at the time, but it seems once it starts to go you can see all sorts after a while. Be sure to use pixel refresh semi regularly.
    Of course maybe the panels are better for that now.
  • THFourteen 21 Jul 2021 19:24:03 54,901 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    For competitive shooters I'd go for 120fps every time.
    Ah so thatís why Iím shit

Always thought it was because Iím old and cack handed.
  • Wayne 21 Jul 2021 22:02:07 3,955 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    I love my LG oled (c7) but the fact remains they are prone to image burn. Mostly thanks to lockdown and my destiny obsession at the time, but it seems once it starts to go you can see all sorts after a while. Be sure to use pixel refresh semi regularly.
    Of course maybe the panels are better for that now.
    Absolutely no image burn on my B7, and 80% of what I used it for is gaming.

Edited by Wayne at 22:02:25 21-07-2021
  • Frogofdoom 21 Jul 2021 22:07:57 17,851 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ChiefGB mine is fucked too, currently dealing with LG trying to get it repaired. They take ages to respond once you get past the initial contact too.
  • ChiefGB 21 Jul 2021 23:11:52 13,805 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It may be worth pursuing as Iíve heard stories of them replacing for a newer model as they donít have the panels anymore. A friend of a friend kind of thing.
  • InfiniteDan 22 Jul 2021 00:12:06 142 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    CX has dropped another £100 or so, currently the 55" is £1118 in John Lewis.
  • THFourteen 22 Jul 2021 05:02:50 54,901 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I did look into TVs briefly a few weeks ago before coming to my senses. One thing I came across a few times was that the LG may not be the best option in bright rooms so thatís something to consider as well.
  • crestedzulu 22 Jul 2021 07:16:47 99 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I did look into TVs briefly a few weeks ago before coming to my senses. One thing I came across a few times was that the LG may not be the best option in bright rooms so thatís something to consider as well.
  • crestedzulu 22 Jul 2021 07:17:59 99 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Iím playing Exodus on a C9 in a bright room right now as itís so fucking hot.

No issues whatsoever.

Itís all opinions I guess Ö
  • Dougs 22 Jul 2021 08:05:47 100,274 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Aye, it's not a massive issue I don't think. Mileage will vary but my living room is quite bright and there's no real glare. It's better with the blinds shut of course but not a massive deal.
  • CalamityJames 22 Jul 2021 08:34:43 311 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I have to shut the blinds if I'm playing in the evening in the summer. As I said in the OP, they're more reflective than I'd ideally like, but that's a pretty minor drawback when set against the amazing picture you get on an OLED.
  • Pierre2k 22 Jul 2021 08:38:41 1,451 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm still using a 55" C6 OLED that I bought after the 7-series came out for a decent (at the time) price. I'd always buy the previous year's model, as most of the time the changes from year to year are minimal, and the CX even has the tech you'd want (VRR, 120Hz etc).

Honestly, I don't even really feel the need to upgrade my C6. It supports HDR, HLG and Dolby Vision (albeit not DV from X1X or on some certain Prime shows using the latest version - reverts to HDR). The OS is still responsive and all apps are still supported including the likes of Disney Plus. HDR peak brightness hasn't moved on that much, and it still holds up fine.

There are some downsides though:
    - Only 3 HDMI ports is annoying. Could definitely use a 4th
    - It's a curved screen. Don't mind this, and you don't even see the curve looking straight on, but it was never a preference. Only bought as the B6 was a step down in that generation, and I wanted the better firmware support and processor of the C and above.
    - there is a bug where it sometimes struggles to switch from HDR to non-HDR. Not an issue on PS5 as it's always HDR, but on X1X sometimes I play an HDR game, then quit to the dashboard, and I get an invalid signal error until I switch the TV off and on.

Another consideration is that the 6-series was the last to support 3D (by most accounts, the best it got with no cross talk, passive 3D using the cheap cinema glasses, at full 1080p 3D Blu-ray resolution). I don't use it often, but have a few 3D movies and it does look excellent.

No burn in on my screen all these years later.

Long story short, I'd stick with the B8. If you're absolutely desperate for VRR, I'd just get a CX.
  • Wayne 22 Jul 2021 09:10:43 3,955 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    By the way, if you're after VRR there specifically so that AC Valhalla looks better, I'd advise just not playing Valhalla.
  • Dirt3 22 Jul 2021 11:28:16 1,736 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you are worried about the screen burn then you can always take out the JL warranty.

One issue that no one has pointed out is the problem with the catch up services on the CX. I don't know what the latest state of play is, but I think some are still missing.

RS are doing 10% off the 55" C1 atm.
  • InfiniteDan 22 Jul 2021 11:32:52 142 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Dirt3 wrote:
    If you are worried about the screen burn then you can always take out the JL warranty.

One issue that no one has pointed out is the problem with the catch up services on the CX. I don't know what the latest state of play is, but I think some are still missing.

Some apps are missing, but I play all apps from a console anyway so that's a complete non issue for me
  • Dougs 22 Jul 2021 11:34:12 100,274 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The onboard apps are miles better than from the ps5 imo.
  • InfiniteDan 22 Jul 2021 12:00:39 142 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I only regularly use YouTube, BT Sport and iPlayer. Tbf the iPlayer app on the TV gave me an option to watch the 4K stream of the Euro's final, the console didn't.
  • paulboy81 22 Jul 2021 12:02:41 513 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I upgraded from a B8 to a CX for the 120hz/VRR trickery. Thoroughly happy with the upgrade, something like Warzone on Series X is a perfect example of both those technologies being put to full use.

That said, beyond that, there's very little difference between the two sets picture quality wise, at least not without putting them side by side that is. If it wasn't for the HDMI 2.1 shenanigans I wouldn't have bothered. The wife thought I was nuts needless to say.
  • jimnastics 22 Jul 2021 12:08:05 1,884 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pierre2k wrote:
    I'm still using a 55" C6 OLED that I bought after the 7-series came out for a decent (at the time) price. I'd always buy the previous year's model, as most of the time the changes from year to year are minimal, and the CX even has the tech you'd want (VRR, 120Hz etc).

Honestly, I don't even really feel the need to upgrade my C6. It supports HDR, HLG and Dolby Vision (albeit not DV from X1X or on some certain Prime shows using the latest version - reverts to HDR). The OS is still responsive and all apps are still supported including the likes of Disney Plus. HDR peak brightness hasn't moved on that much, and it still holds up fine.

There are some downsides though:
    - Only 3 HDMI ports is annoying. Could definitely use a 4th
    - It's a curved screen. Don't mind this, and you don't even see the curve looking straight on, but it was never a preference. Only bought as the B6 was a step down in that generation, and I wanted the better firmware support and processor of the C and above.
    - there is a bug where it sometimes struggles to switch from HDR to non-HDR. Not an issue on PS5 as it's always HDR, but on X1X sometimes I play an HDR game, then quit to the dashboard, and I get an invalid signal error until I switch the TV off and on.

Another consideration is that the 6-series was the last to support 3D (by most accounts, the best it got with no cross talk, passive 3D using the cheap cinema glasses, at full 1080p 3D Blu-ray resolution). I don't use it often, but have a few 3D movies and it does look excellent.

No burn in on my screen all these years later.

Long story short, I'd stick with the B8. If you're absolutely desperate for VRR, I'd just get a CX.
    We have a 55" curved Samsung from 2016, it's developed the infamous purple patch problem so we're looking at getting a CX. But it's going to be weird going from curved to flat... so used to the curved, and actually appreciate the benefits the curved-ness brings.
  • Deleted user 22 July 2021 14:27:47
    Dirt3 wrote:

I mentioned this in the other thread, but current state of play is My5 should be imminent if not there already and All4 will never be provided. I was told that by RS who had an LG rep speaking to them the week before. All other catch up services are now provided.
  • smoothpete 22 Jul 2021 15:26:03 37,723 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    ThrowingTuba wrote:
    My CX turned up at lunch time, Iíve set it up but the only action itís seen is four episodes of Hey DuggeeÖ is manual calibration still a thing? Spent hours agonising over that in the past but not that fussed there days.
    Someone else kindly provided me with this link:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/lg-2017-2021-oleds-suggested-settings-for-xbox-one-series-x-s-ps4-ps5-and-webos-sdr-hdr-dv.73304/

The only thing I did differently was set the white balance to warm 1 rather than warm 2 (it looked too green to me for some reason)
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.