EDGE magazine - has a nice E3 DVD Page 2

Next Last
  • silentbob 14 Jun 2003 03:14:25 29,527 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    i still remember the days when Quake2 engine was the dogs bollocks.. *memories..."

im turning into a right old git, - "when i was a lad they didnt have hands, just square blocks, and AI so simple they'd get stuck in the scenery" -
    Q2 was the canine's testicles with an SLI'ed Dual Voodoo2 setup. You could play at (GASP!) 1024x768 in 16bit colour. Woohoo!
  • silentbob 15 Jun 2003 11:25:16 29,527 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    WOPR wrote:
    Smiths in Bluewater had latest Edge. Flicked through and put back on shelf as usual.

Cube special edition mag looks quite good though.

I know you don't like the mag WOPR, but I just got this months issue and it is pretty good IMO. Obviously it is inundated with E3 stuff (being the E3 issue and all) - but in addition you've got a brilliant piece on the C64, a retrospective on the superb Stunt Car Racer. Not to mention a couple of interesting tech articles. Topped off with the usual regular editorial from Redeye et al. The DVD is worthwhile but ultimately disapointing and doesn't offer the depth you really want from such a piece. However it does give us plebs a glimpse of what the show is actually like, and there were some games highlighted that didn't seem to get a lot of coverage elsewhere.

I know I'm branded as an Edge fanboy on these forums, but thats only because it does feel as if some are being pretty unfairly critical of it. It is still the best print mag out there (closely followed by Games tm).

Oh yer, and Enter the Matrix got 3 out of 10 - bang on the money.
  • zk 17 Jun 2003 12:57:53 142 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    right so here's the break down:

- DVD presented in the style of a "Blockbuster" in-shop promo video. Would not look out of place on ITV at around 11:30 on a saturday morning (probably sandwiched between "World's Greatest Stunts" and "The Waltons")

- In-game footage makes up about 25% of the E3 feature.

- The feature tries to recreate the excitement and atmosphere of the exhibition. As a result, in-game footage is choppy, brief and regularly interrupted by crowd shots, inconsequential interviews, and other crap.

- The usual Edge biases are all there. Nintendo and Playstation owners, expect to be undersold. Microsoft owners, expect to be oversold.

- A ridiculous number of titles aren't even mentioned on the DVD. Luckly, most are in the mag.

- And, as usual, Edge overrates previews of big budget games. Lets face it, theyre taking bribes.

Case in point 1: Matrix is heavily plugged on the DVD and previewed as a "revolution in gaming." Only to be given 3 out of 10 in the review. (A review that came out a month after the game was released.) This is not an isolated incident.

Case in point 2: The DVD includes a second feature, in addition to the E3 coverage. A blatant sales pitch for M$'s next expensive lie, "Fable." Deja vu anyone?

So in conclusion, you might like it. I WISH I DIDN'T BUY IT.

oh, and the magazine is still shit. I got much more complete and timely E3 coverage from Eurogamer. (thanks guys)

Has anyone tried any of the E3 DVDs from other magazines? Any good?
  • silentbob 17 Jun 2003 23:16:12 29,527 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    zk wrote:
    right so here's the break down:

- DVD presented in the style of a "Blockbuster" in-shop promo video. Would not look out of place on ITV at around 11:30 on a saturday morning (probably sandwiched between "World's Greatest Stunts" and "The Waltons")
    Yep, fair comment.

- In-game footage makes up about 25% of the E3 feature.
    Aye, bang on the money.

- The feature tries to recreate the excitement and atmosphere of the exhibition. As a result, in-game footage is choppy, brief and regularly interrupted by crowd shots, inconsequential interviews, and other crap.
    With you so far.

- The usual Edge biases are all there. Nintendo and Playstation owners, expect to be undersold. Microsoft owners, expect to be oversold.
    Oh dear, and you were doing so well. Interesting this, for years they've been accused of being biased towards every console on earth. Sane people of course realise that people making these accusations are fops.

- A ridiculous number of titles aren't even mentioned on the DVD. Luckly, most are in the mag.
    So your point is?

And, as usual, Edge overrates previews of big budget games. Lets face it, theyre taking bribes.
    Again, usually they're accused of being 'pretentious' because they enjoy quirky low budget titles. Mostly by fops.

Case in point 1: Matrix is heavily plugged on the DVD and previewed as a "revolution in gaming." Only to be given 3 out of 10 in the review. (A review that came out a month after the game was released.) This is not an isolated incident.
    This was because they (like many unbaiased publications) weren't privvy to review code - thats odd isn't it? So if they're taking bribes why would they give it such an abysmal review and have to take the late review. Unless they were complete fops of course.

Case in point 2: The DVD includes a second feature, in addition to the E3 coverage. A blatant sales pitch for M$'s next expensive lie, "Fable." Deja vu anyone?
    Yes, you talking like a fop again. You do realise its not developed by M$ don't you? And that its actually one of the most promising titles of any format at the moment.

So in conclusion, you might like it. I WISH I DIDN'T BUY IT.
    God, so do I.

oh, and the magazine is still shit. I got much more complete and timely E3 coverage from Eurogamer. (thanks guys)
    Why does one have to negate the other? Edge offers something more than EG offers as far as editorial is concerned. Also I enjoy reading other views on the same games out there (e.g. the disappointing show of 1080 snowboarding) I can't remember the last time I read something (as good as EG reviews are) as interesting as the C64 article. Or the making of Stunt Car Racer. I notice you didn't mention any of these, either because you weren't interested in them (in which case Edge is not the mag for you) or because you wanted nothing to spoil your little rant.

Or, as I have suggested, you're a fop.

Edited by silentbob at 22:18:27 17-06-2003
  • zk 18 Jun 2003 18:08:26 142 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Oh dear, and you were doing so well. Interesting this, for years they've been accused of being biased towards every console on earth. Sane people of course realise that people making these accusations are fops.
    So all the people who've been accusing Edge of bias for years and I are all insane... because you say so?

(Incidentaly readers, this is the guy's most coherent argument)

So your point is?
    I made my point. I'm trying to present the DVD for what it is.

Again, usually they're accused of being 'pretentious' because they enjoy quirky low budget titles. Mostly by fops.
    I said "they're taking bribes." Not they're "pretentious."

This was because they (like many unbaiased publications) weren't privvy to review code... wank wank wank
    Wow. You're pretty naive. most magazines take bribes of one form or another (free holidays, magazine exclusives blah blah.)

Here is what you get for your money with Edge:
    1. A hysterically optimistic preview
    2. A conspiracy of silence when the game is released
    3. The right to choose when the review is published

Yes, you talking like a fop again. You do realise its not developed by M$ don't you? And that its actually one of the most promising titles of any format at the moment.
    Haha, you believed M$ hype!

Why does one have to negate the other?... blah blah blah

who said it did.

Look. You like Edge. I dont. I'm not interested in a debate about it.

Or, as I have suggested, you're a fop.
    er, "fop" right. you're a "tosser"

Edited by zk at 17:10:41 18-06-2003
  • bahamutzero 18 Jun 2003 23:52:54 21 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    the mag's good this month. been reading it since i got in from work and still got plenty to read yet. the dvd's a bit suspect though - doesn't fit in with the mood of the mag at all. oh and the advert for probegames.com is a little bit over the top to - not what i want to see before going to bed.

shame there's no mention of the forum too. but who needs it anyway now i've found this place!
  • silentbob 19 Jun 2003 16:17:43 29,527 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago

er, "fop" right. you're a "tosser"
    Fop!
  • zk 19 Jun 2003 17:54:57 142 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    ? how queer
  • Neverness 19 Jun 2003 18:00:58 1,186 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    this still going on?
  • Xensor 19 Jun 2003 18:17:41 1,054 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    What an utter waste of an hour of my life that dvd is. I think we can all guess what the E3 convention looks like - one gigantic hall filled with huge stands from all the main players, tits and arse everywhere and a load of game that will be available anywhere from the next few months to never. So WHY THE FUCK did they decide it was a good idea to waste half the fucking dvd on showing us what the hall looked like and another 15 fucking minutes showing interviews of a load of pasty-faced nobodies? I DONT CARE!!! Show me the FUCKING GAMES you wankers!!!! I want footage of the GAMES, all the rest is fucking pointless filler. Fuckers.

/blue-veined red-mist rant off
  • silentbob 19 Jun 2003 22:00:51 29,527 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yes, I suspect that the partnership with Gamers TV may have had a detrimental effect on the quality. It was like re-living a Bad Influence episode. "Just show us the games!".

Hope you didn't bother with the magazine either, you know they're on the take don't you? Totally corrupt, overrun by the Triads the lot of 'em. Atari paid 'em hard cash for a 3 out of 10 review dontcha know.

Fop!
  • ssuellid 19 Jun 2003 22:11:08 19,141 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Hope you didn't bother with the magazine either, you know they're on the take don't you? Totally corrupt, overrun by the Triads the lot of 'em. Atari paid 'em hard cash for a 3 out of 10 review dontcha know.

We knew you would see the light eventually silentbob. ;)
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.