• DodgyG 16 Jun 2003 12:38:57 255 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    According to this it has been...

Edited by DodgyG at 11:39:11 16-06-2003
  • jiroczech 16 Jun 2003 13:02:13 2,669 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Oh no! Look at what rampant piracy did to the PS2. Wait a minute..

They'll probably sort out burning the .iso's soon enough, but I honestly don't think it'll make much difference to the cube's fortunes.
  • RedboX 16 Jun 2003 13:29:41 2,427 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I happen to know a bit about this...

Basicaly StarCube have released these as a way of saying "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!". Quite a few people have known for a while how to copy the data off a cube disk but have kept it quite to not encorage 1) piracy and 2) idoticy.

There have been a series of people claiming to of "hacked" the cube since it was released, even going as far as producing fake videos of them booting DVDs on gamecubes with the cover removed.

The use of these releases are really limited to being able to poke around the directory structure and look at the graphics/music/videos of the game.

Of course there could be a modchip/other solution out next week for all I know but the sort of people whould could put together such a thing wont need any help in dumping the games.

As a side note, over the last year or so there have been a series of soundtracks from Gamecube games posted to the usenet videogame mp3 newsgroup that could only of been made by extracting the data from the game disk, so thats one use for these "rips" that while still not being legal is not really going to hurt nintendo.

Edited by RedboX at 12:35:34 16-06-2003
  • CerealKey 16 Jun 2003 13:31:14 2,860 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    RedboX wrote:
    There have been a series of people claiming to of "hacked" the cube since it was released, even going as far as producing fake videos of them booting DVDs on gamecubes with the cover removed.

/remembers completely unfunny video posted by Eurogamer/

Yes, we've seen some of them.
  • silentbob 16 Jun 2003 21:39:17 29,527 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    There are a couple of theories involving the Gameboy player, using a GBA flash cart to bypass the BIOS allowing the GC to play unsigned optical media. This is unconfirmed and mat or not be true, but the explanation was plausible.

Mini DVD-R's can be bought and written quite easily as well. Also now that ISO's are in the wild the reverse engineers have more info with which to bypass the security. I think its only a matter of time now.
  • xtremeboat 16 Jun 2003 23:26:18 53 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I dunno if the GC discs are just mini DVDs. It took Datel a lot of hassle to get the Freeloader working, but I suppose that proves it can be done.
  • silentbob 16 Jun 2003 23:35:26 29,527 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    xtremeboat wrote:
    I dunno if the GC discs are just mini DVDs. It took Datel a lot of hassle to get the Freeloader working, but I suppose that proves it can be done.
    No they aren't mini DVD's. But mini-DVD-R's are the only media small enough to fit and to hold enough data.
  • RedboX 17 Jun 2003 00:12:06 2,427 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    xtremeboat wrote:

after a *LOT* of effort Datel only managed to get the Action Replay/Freeloader/Etc working by licensing the technology behind the disk protection. They have thier own production line that can produce Gamecube compatiable disks..

I still dont think there will ever be the situation where people can copy gamecube disks as easly as they can PS2/XBOX/etc.
  • Khab 17 Jun 2003 00:53:10 6,583 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Well, no, that's the benefit of using a proprietary format... the downside is the smaller size (byte-wise :) and the lack of DVD playback, I guess...:/
  • Shivoa 17 Jun 2003 11:29:04 6,314 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yes, everyone should do a Sega and create a better format to become proprietry. GD-ROMs were a great idea at the time, just a shame they were a bit to early to use DVDs.
  • Furbie 17 Jun 2003 11:38:44 69 posts
    Seen 14 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I always wondered if maybe using the broadband connector (ie creating a network connection between the GC and a PC) could work. Probably not, but then they said DC games could never be copied...
  • Shivoa 17 Jun 2003 11:54:33 6,314 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    >they said DC games could never be copied...

hahahaha. Are there any DC games you can't download nowadays? As you have a hard time finding any in stores it doesn't seem so bad (the whole abandonware thing) but still wouldn't do it myself until the second hand prices start to rise again (or you can only buy worn, manual-less copies).

/Remembers DC CDROMS
    /Starts to play Quake1 DC again.

Mmmm, FPS designed before mouse was common controller. Fragilicious!
  • Furbie 17 Jun 2003 19:45:00 69 posts
    Seen 14 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    For those of you with an interest in the *ahem* "Darkside" those nice "release (i)nfo-mation" sites seem to be carrying quite a few details on this stuff now...looks like its really starting to happen.

Them pesky hacker/crackers* huh kids?

* No, I dont want to initiate a discussion on whether teh 1337 haX0rz r Cr@X0rz etc etc, they're all the same to me, and thats all that counts
  • silentbob 17 Jun 2003 20:14:32 29,527 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    RedboX wrote:
    xtremeboat wrote:

after a *LOT* of effort Datel only managed to get the Action Replay/Freeloader/Etc working by licensing the technology behind the disk protection. They have thier own production line that can produce Gamecube compatiable disks..

I still dont think there will ever be the situation where people can copy gamecube disks as easly as they can PS2/XBOX/etc.
    Hello! Is this thing on? I'm not talking about copying or emulating the current optical disk storage. I'm talking about fooling the GC to accept other types of media. It may be that the system will involve a seperate drive (a la Doctor 64) in some way. But the method above as I said is fairly plausible.
  • RedboX 18 Jun 2003 16:05:04 2,427 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    RedboX wrote:
    xtremeboat wrote:

Hello! Is this thing on? I'm not talking about copying or emulating the current optical disk storage. I'm talking about fooling the GC to accept other types of media. It may be that the system will involve a seperate drive (a la Doctor 64) in some way. But the method above as I said is fairly plausible.

Is your brain turned on? the Action Replay/Freeloader/etc discs are EXACTLY the same as the ones nitnendo put the games on, as they are made in EXACTLY the same way, using the the system protection system which Datel licenced as they could'nt find a way around it.

If someone does come up with a system that les you play games it more than likely WILL be an external device that you have to take your cube apart and connect up..... which as I said is not as easy as the "stick a chip in your XBOX/PS2 and burn a DVD" method
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.