When garnish goes beyond a joke

First Previous
  • Nemesis 17 Jun 2003 13:42:41 19,957 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Er, well you *could* make your own and not pay the 4.

Come to England again and suffer the soggy breaded excuse for sarnies WE have to eat.

Gah.
  • Machiavel 17 Jun 2003 13:47:28 5,964 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Even go to Norwich! Togo's in the town centre have the most delicious sandwiches (and coffee) I've ever tasted. Wasn't quite enough to make me stay though :(
  • Alastair 17 Jun 2003 13:47:59 24,560 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Nem, you need to whip your live-in moth into shape and get it to make you better sarnies!
  • MrWorf 17 Jun 2003 13:50:15 64,082 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    why not just take some samosa's and a packet of salad?
  • skalmanxl 17 Jun 2003 13:58:12 982 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    4? for a cheese sandwhich. That has to be one helluva sandwhich. I don't even pay that much for my big kebab baugettes...

mmmm...kebab...

Edited by skalmanxl at 12:58:47 17-06-2003
  • skalmanxl 17 Jun 2003 13:59:45 982 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Bloody opera! Why does it show my euro sign as a questionmark? It works when I type it...but not when submitted.
  • JabbaDaHut 17 Jun 2003 14:02:48 651 posts
    Registered 19 years ago
    skalmanxl wrote:
    Bloody opera! Why does it show my euro sign as a questionmark? It works when I type it...but not when submitted.
    Heh - still kinda makes sense though :o)
  • skalmanxl 17 Jun 2003 14:05:04 982 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I knew it, it's those Lusekofte-wearing bastard raindeer lovers, oildrilling, skiing, seventeenth of may celebrating fooks. Get with the program norway!
  • Shivoa 17 Jun 2003 14:40:50 6,314 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    >Why does it show my euro sign as a questionmark?

Bloody Opera! Answered your own question there.

And why do people pay for premade sandwiches? 3/4 when you can get an entire loaf of bread and enough filling for a few sandwiches for the same price. Does it really take that much extra time to make them or can't you find room to take a sandwich with you?
  • Gurgy 17 Jun 2003 14:45:27 2,923 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Hey WOPR, now Otto's struggling to finish his lunch.
  • UncleLou Moderator 17 Jun 2003 14:49:05 40,346 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Shivoa wrote:

And why do people pay for premade sandwiches? 3/€4 when you can get an entire loaf of bread and enough filling for a few sandwiches for the same price. Does it really take that much extra time to make them or can't you find room to take a sandwich with you?

Cause their lazy. Like me. And it's so much easier to just buy a sandwich when you want one and not carry it around the whole day. :-)
  • Nemesis 17 Jun 2003 15:04:55 19,957 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Nem, you need to whip your live-in moth into shape and get it to make you better sarnies!

Meh, don't really *do* sarnies. Toasted sarnies, maybe. We've got such a shithot restaurant at work, sarnies are a nono.

Salmon, salad and a jacket spud for me today.
  • Shivoa 17 Jun 2003 15:06:02 6,314 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I guess if you're not worried about small change that makes sense. I have this feeling living without nearly enough money to do what I want to for too long has skewed my senses. At those prices my weekly food budget would be used up on about 5 sandwiches.

I see the quote system isn't able to cope with the sign.
  • FWB 17 Jun 2003 15:20:53 56,367 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    otto wrote:
    I'm guessing neither of you have two-year olds.

I have 15 of them (which you can't disprove) and I agree with lou and Shivoa. What's your comeback now? :p

Edited by FWB at 14:21:17 17-06-2003
  • UncleLou Moderator 17 Jun 2003 15:22:39 40,346 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Me? Why? No.

I note I wrote "their" instead of "they're". I picked this habit here, this would never have happened to me a few months back! It's all your fault! You lot keep writing "your" instead of "you're"!
  • UncleLou Moderator 17 Jun 2003 15:24:04 40,346 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    But I agreed with otto and disagreed with shivoa? How can you agree with both of us?

/is confused
  • FWB 17 Jun 2003 15:30:37 56,367 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    But I agreed with otto and disagreed with shivoa? How can you agree with both of us?

/is confused

I didn't read any of your posts. I just read otto's "neither of you two" and took a guess as to who he was referring to, i.e. the people he quoted. I'm lazy.

Edited by FWB at 14:30:55 17-06-2003
  • Killerbee 17 Jun 2003 15:31:37 5,080 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    3/4 for a sarnie is quite a lot, unless of course it's a toasted ciabatta with Tiger Prawns, avocado, and soft cheese filling. Mmmm...

Anyway, why not just go down to Tescos where you can get a bog standard cheese & onion sanga for 79p? Of if you've got slightly more exclusive tastes, I recommend the sausage & egg wedge with tomato chutney for 1.59. Boots always do that meal deal for 2.60 as well.

Pret a Manger is just a rip off and their sandwiches are all full of arty-farty nonsense that doesn't fill you up. I mean, what is the point of 'rocket' FFS!?

I think I'll have to start a campaign for 'keeping it real' in the sandwich business.
  • eviltobz 17 Jun 2003 15:42:29 2,511 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Killerbee wrote:
    Of if you've got slightly more exclusive tastes, I recommend the sausage & egg wedge with tomato chutney for 1.59.
    damn fine sarny, and pretty bloody huge too. unfortunately the tescos near (near being a relative term involving my car and about 30 minutes) to where i work doesn't have em anymore :(
  • Killerbee 17 Jun 2003 15:47:35 5,080 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Killerbee wrote:
    Anyway, why not just go down to Tescos where you can get a bog standard cheese & onion sanga for 79p?
    Yeah, 79p plus the 140 quid airfare.
    Oh, but it's worth it. :)
  • Nemesis 17 Jun 2003 16:10:26 19,957 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I *could* get me sarnies here at staff discount, but it still will cost you 3.50 for lunch.

Still, I've had to cut down on lunches. Full roast plus pudding added 2 stone to my little frame. Back down to 10 stone now. Didn't enjoy being a porker.
  • Khab 17 Jun 2003 16:13:31 6,583 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Me? Why? No.

I note I wrote "their" instead of "they're". I picked this habit here, this would never have happened to me a few months back! It's all your fault! You lot keep writing "your" instead of "you're"!

They also write "he should of" when they mean "he should have"! They're ruining 11 years of studying english!
  • Killerbee 17 Jun 2003 16:18:52 5,080 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Best lunch I've ever had at work was when a few of us got together and bought one of those disposable BBQs from Tescos and a pile of sausages and burgers and rolls, and then just set it all up in the car park out the back.

Bloody brilliant it was - should be done much more often just to keep staff morale up. :)
  • Deleted user 18 June 2003 00:47:03
    otto wrote:
    There are actually a couple of superb Italian sarnie places round the corner, but they're cash only and I don't carry cash any more, so I have to go the English Shop (that's what it's called) and buy their soggy specials. :(

BRUSSELS EUROCRAT SNUBS EURO!

In a sensational development last night a top ranking banana inspection mandarin threw Tony Blair's plans to promote the euro when he blasted the lame duck currency in a heated debate!

He went on to denounce foreign food and maintained that he went for good old English tucker every time - just so long as it doesn't have a load of foreign fruit, such as limes (often found in countries with dagos), ruining the traditional English recipe.

Gawd bless yer Otto. There's a beef and horseradish sarnie and a cup of tea on it's way.

Now all i have to do is sit here and wait for Rupert Murdoch to turn up with a contract for a weekly column on a six figure salary.

/rubs hands and grins

Edited by Fozzie_bear at 23:47:56 17-06-2003
  • Deleted user 18 June 2003 14:26:54
    Curses! Foiled!

/twirls moustache, floursishes cape and runs off into the night
  • CerealKey 18 Jun 2003 14:36:14 2,860 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    BRUSSELS EUROCRAT WORM TURNS!

In a sensational turnaround a top ranking banana inspection mandarin blasted the food of our beloved nation!

The former Englishman went on to denounce British cuisine and maintained that it was soggy and even went onto complain that he had to pay for it.

This proves without a doubt that the mind-bending corruption of good old English values by the Brussels overlords is rampant and shows the very reason that we shouldn't join the EU - we want good old chip butties not fried potato with a side garnish of lime and orange!

For more see CerealSays: Snap, Crackle and Pop

Right, all I have to do now all I have to do is sit here and wait for Rupert Murdoch to turn up with a contract for a weekly column on a six figure salary.
  • Deleted user 18 June 2003 18:34:11
    AH-HA!

Get out of THAT one, otto!
  • Chris-Gardiner 18 Jun 2003 19:04:32 962 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    /Falls of chair with laughter.
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Seriously, a lettuce leaf and a wedge of lemon next to your fillet of sole when you go to the restaurant are one thing, but half a tomato, a lime segment *and* three chunks of posh lettuce in the plastic box that my cheese sandwich comes in? Now they're taking the piss.

If every bit of pointless useless garnish were shipped off to southern Africa, there'd be no need for American GM food 'aid'. And my sandwich wouldn't cost four bloody euros.
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Heh, these ones are imported from England. Explains why they're so expensive...

Oh, and they're soggy. Having half of Sainsbury's Fruit & Veg department jammed in as garnish doesn't help.
  • First Previous
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.