The Eurogamer HDTV Guide Page 191

Next Last
  • fontgeeksogood 30 Nov 2018 14:32:35 3,748 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I wouldn't pay £6 for Samsung, unless they've significantly increased their QA and build quality processes in the past ten years
  • gamingdave 30 Nov 2018 17:11:01 4,774 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ended up getting a Samsung 55" Q9FN, and it is a thing of beauty. I've never been a massive fan of Samsung TV's in the past, preferring Panasonic or Sony on the whole, but it's a stunning set.

The picture quality when fed a good source is incredible. SDR weather 1080p or 4K looks amazing. The depth to the picture is a huge step up from my old Sony W805. The full local dimming provides inky blacks, and there simply isn't any blooming at all. It might not technically have the true black of an OLED, but with the lights off, on fade-to-blacks you can't tell the TV is on at all. Even with end credits the blacks stay black.

With HDR material it's gobsmacking. Colour is stunning, and my god it can get bright! Motion handling looks great to me.

The anti glare filter is a huge plus, and even in full daylight with light flooding in the picture has so much punch while still looking completely natural.

As for gaming, well it's just perfection. Playing the Switch the primary colours of the inhouse games just fly off the screen, the whole picture is so rich and vibrant. The Xbox One X takes it further. The auto game mode, combined with FreeSync is very handy and results in super smooth gaming. HDR titles look ridiculously good but even just in SDR it's head and shoulders above my old set. And it has sub 25ms response times even with filters on (though I have them off) so no problem there. Tetris Effect is a joy.

I have a 3 seater sofa right in front of it, and sitting on the far edges you can see the faintest of blooming in extreme cases. In the primary position it's a non issue. Initially I had RDR2 set to HDR (before finding out about the issues) and the gun barrel loading animation (pure bright white against black) showed a hint of blooming, but notching down the dimming got rid of it. Sure, if you stand to the side you start to see blooming, and the colours start to wash out, but no one will ever be viewing from that angle, so its a non-issue.

I really wanted an OLED and was all set to get one. But seeing the Samsung changed my mind. I was (and still would be) concerned by burn-in (or out as it really is with OLED) as it will get used for a lot of gaming, and the kids watch some channels with bright idents. At times, I use it as a monitor too.

To me, even in really dark scenes the picture is so close, that the added benefits of not worrying about screen burn and having such a good picture during the day when it's light pipped it. I have it hooked up to 5.1.2 sound so haven't really tested the audio, but it's decent enough for built in speakers.

Seem to have got lucky with the panel lottery too as DSE is not noticeable at all even with test patterns.

In built apps are snappy and the interface as a whole works well, though my one complaint would be there isn't a shortcut to the picture settings which is handy for tweaking. But now I have it all setup, that's less of an issue.

Overall I am delighted with it, but I think I may return it. I think I could fit the 65" :)
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Dec 2018 12:31:00 24,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Here the 65Ē LG OLEDs are on sale till Dec 12th

B7 is 1470 quid

C8 is 1650 quid

Iím thinking the C8 is worth the extra. Right?
  • elstoof 3 Dec 2018 12:46:33 21,964 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes
  • fontgeeksogood 3 Dec 2018 12:51:37 3,748 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Absolutely
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Dec 2018 12:58:56 24,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers guys
  • fontgeeksogood 3 Dec 2018 13:07:00 3,748 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    That's a pretty good price, is it tax inclusive
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Dec 2018 13:08:52 24,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    That's a pretty good price, is it tax inclusive
    Yep.
    Itís a 15% off deal that one of the big online stores is running .
  • AboutHalfaStevas 3 Dec 2018 14:37:42 1,182 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sheesh, 65 at that price is crazy cheap. I'd be all over that.
  • Danbojones Moderator 5 Dec 2018 16:33:40 423 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Worth noting that, until the 18th, Samsung are chucking in a free smartphone with all QLED TV purchases. The 55" Q9 is sold out on the official store, but Richer will price match and honour the smartphone deal too. https://www.samsung.com/uk/qledwithmobile/
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Dec 2018 17:13:59 24,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Here the 65Ē LG OLEDs are on sale till Dec 12th

B7 is 1470 quid

C8 is 1650 quid

Iím thinking the C8 is worth the extra. Right?
    Sorry, thatís 1336 for the B7

So , C8 has
    A) slightly nicer bezel
    B) doesnít need brightness adjustment in Game mode for HDR content
    C) has black frame insertion

Otherwise, almost identical, right?

How is gaming on the b7 outside of game mode?
    314. quid difference
    What say you?

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 17:27:24 05-12-2018
  • Dougs 5 Dec 2018 18:33:13 87,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Faster processor is the biggest difference I thought
  • fontgeeksogood 5 Dec 2018 21:06:19 3,748 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Yes, processor. Which does affect the picture processing
  • mothercruncher 5 Dec 2018 21:47:37 15,554 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I often stand next to my bezel and occasionally tip my head toward it during conversation, just hoping that someone will notice itís radiance. Yet to happen, sadly.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Dec 2018 21:50:54 24,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Faster processor is the biggest difference I thought
    Ah, of course. Cheers.
  • Psiloc 6 Dec 2018 09:37:20 4,888 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Unplayable. It's not an option.

Improved motion and not having to faff about in brightness settings for HDR games is what you're getting with the C8. And more mature tech so better burn in resistance?

The black bezel is definitely better, though you soon stop noticing the silver trim on the B7. More important IMO if you happen to be able to see the back or side of your TV in your living room setup, the black/grey finish on the back plastic looks way nicer.

Apparently black frame insertion isn't anything to get excited about yet, I've not seen a reviewer who hasn't said "turn it off".

£1,336 for the 65" B7 is a hell of a price though.
  • andijames 8 Dec 2018 01:30:41 2,892 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So you c8 buyers over the last few weeks how are you finding your sets? Price is up to 2k again here in UK but can't get one until Feb when the new house can accommodate! Like to hear feedback on it as my research tells me to get that plus an sk9y and surround speakers. Anyone have this setup? Thank you hive mind!
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Dec 2018 01:39:20 24,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    Unplayable. It's not an option.

Improved motion and not having to faff about in brightness settings for HDR games is what you're getting with the C8. And more mature tech so better burn in resistance?

The black bezel is definitely better, though you soon stop noticing the silver trim on the B7. More important IMO if you happen to be able to see the back or side of your TV in your living room setup, the black/grey finish on the back plastic looks way nicer.

Apparently black frame insertion isn't anything to get excited about yet, I've not seen a reviewer who hasn't said "turn it off".

Thanks a lot, Iíll wall mount but sounds as if the C8 is worth the extra.
    I wonít be back in Switzerland till the 28th and the deal expires on the 10th. Iíll need to contact them and see if they can work something out.

£1,336 for the 65" B7 is a hell of a price though.
  • robc84 9 Dec 2018 19:34:39 12,982 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah fuck. After deciding I canít afford to properly upgrade, the power button on my current tv has broken. Itís been on the blink for a while and you canít touch the power button but just put it into standby.

In laws were round today watching the kids and they were all cack handed with the power button (we didnít tell them about the issue to be fair) and now it wonít turn on at all. Think the connectors have been lost so no idea how they did that.

Going to look into whether it can be repaired tomorrow, but itís 8 Yearís old and iím reluctant to spend any money on it. The plan was always to put it in the bedroom when we upgraded so iím toying with the idea of getting a 46Ē 4K for around £400 which will eventually be the bedroom tv but be used downstairs for now until we can upgrade properly (OLED).
  • robc84 10 Dec 2018 12:33:17 12,982 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's going to cost me £30 for someone to look at it and see if it can be fixed. I'm thinking if the total cost is sub £100 it's probably just about worth it over paying £450 for a new TV. It could just be as simple as replacing the switch.

Part of me is hoping it isn't though so I can buy a 4k tv :)
  • Dougs 10 Dec 2018 13:39:58 87,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    "Sorry love, can't be repaired. No choice other than to buy a new one"
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Dec 2018 13:45:34 3,748 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    "Yeah, it's fucked. When the guy was looking at the power switch he noticed someone had repeatedly put their foot through the screen. I know! Odd we didn't notice"
  • robc84 10 Dec 2018 14:36:19 12,982 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To be honest I think she is looking for an excuse too! She didn't want to spend £1k but showing her shiny new tvs for around £400 has changed her mind I think.
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Dec 2018 18:43:26 24,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    To be honest I think she is looking for an excuse too! She didn't want to spend £1k but showing her shiny new tvs for around £400 has changed her mind I think.
    Thatís a compromise value of 700....
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Dec 2018 18:44:47 24,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Itís 1:45, the LG deal runs out I. 4 hours and the retailer hasnít answered me about delivery yet.
    Grrrrr.
    Think Iíll have to skip it and hope for a repeat deal in Jan :(
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Dec 2018 18:58:37 3,748 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    andijames wrote:
    So you c8 buyers over the last few weeks how are you finding your sets? Price is up to 2k again here in UK but can't get one until Feb when the new house can accommodate! Like to hear feedback on it as my research tells me to get that plus an sk9y and surround speakers. Anyone have this setup? Thank you hive mind!
    It's fucking brilliant. I don't know about the speakers, but the panel is SO much better than my 2016 set, so much more responsive
  • CosmicFuzz 10 Dec 2018 19:04:15 32,483 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear dude, by Jan there will be another model announced and you'll end up waiting for that :D

Car you not get it delivered to a friend or something?
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Dec 2018 19:23:18 24,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear dude, by Jan there will be another model announced and you'll end up waiting for that :D

Car you not get it delivered to a friend or something?
    Itís tricky as every fucker works and Iím in the other side of the world :(
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.