The Eurogamer HDTV Guide Page 202

• Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Nov 2019 09:25:32 21,502 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Think my Panasonic plasma is on it's last legs as the burn in is getting pretty noticeable. Not really up to speed with TV's now, whats the best 50-60" for under a grand these days?
  • Dougs 8 Nov 2019 09:27:13 91,055 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Nov 2019 09:30:24 21,502 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is OLED actually much better or is it just the latest thing that TV makers are using to push new TV's?
  • nickthegun 8 Nov 2019 09:30:36 79,230 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Think my Panasonic plasma is on it's last legs as the burn in is getting pretty noticeable. Not really up to speed with TV's now, whats the best 50-60" for under a grand these days?
    I think if you hang on, the Panasonic I have will be under a grand by the end of the month.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Nov 2019 09:33:50 21,502 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah I'll be hanging on until Black Friday anyway. I do like a Panasonic.
  • Dougs 8 Nov 2019 09:46:27 91,055 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The only thing putting me off the Panasonic OLEDs is apparently the FreeSat experience is poor (I don't have an aerial for Freeview in my living room, but do have a satellite feed). I could get someone in to sort that but it's more cost so am negating the benefits of a slightly cheaper set.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 8 Nov 2019 09:49:40 8,971 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Is OLED actually much better or is it just the latest thing that TV makers are using to push new TV's?
    OLED is pretty fucking awesome but they can suffer from burn in, and although I gather the reality is that it is fairly unlikely, it scared me enough to avoid them. QLED is the marketing name to push new TVs although to be fair they are nice.
  • nickthegun 8 Nov 2019 11:01:50 79,230 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Panasonic has fairly robust protections. It has a health management cycle it does at night and is pretty aggressive about throwing up a screensaver in apps or turning itself off when it has no input.

The only thing it can't mitigate against is someone pausing sky TV and then fucking off to their friends house, leaving the TV on...
  • cov 8 Nov 2019 11:07:47 2,008 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just got a great 65 LG for 649 from john lewis.. couldnt be happier with it. couldnt justify paying double for oled - but they are likely to be less come black friday - having said that so will Leds.
  • Dougs 8 Nov 2019 11:23:47 91,055 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

The only thing it can't mitigate against is someone pausing sky TV and then fucking off to their friends house, leaving the TV on...
    A definite concern with my kids for sure! Although they are more likely just to leave it playing
  • barchetta 8 Nov 2019 11:54:31 1,966 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I worried about my LG OLED in the hands of the kids but within about 1min of inactivity it switches to a fireworks on black sky type screensaver... not tried it with every variation of app/epg that are on it but it seems fairly widespread. I guess if you have an epg with small video or video in background it may not work.....
  • BigOrkWaaagh 8 Nov 2019 11:57:39 8,971 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was more concerned about burn in from HUDs which stay fairly static during a game even though everything else moves around. Same with TV channel logos etc.
  • barchetta 8 Nov 2019 12:01:57 1,966 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, that still is a concern... but so far (10 months in) all looks OK. In fact, I have seen some very slight image retention when shifting from some high contrast screens to black - say a bunch of white rectangles on black then screen shifts to flat mid/dark grey. But nothing ever remains after a moment.
  • TommyUnderwear 8 Nov 2019 12:02:02 256 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Agreed. The screen saver is pretty aggressive with the fireworks but I ain't gonna complain. Even with YouTube, if a video finishes it doesn't dwell long on the menu before switching off the screen.
  • PatrickEwing 8 Nov 2019 12:02:48 2,424 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    /waves my Panasonic 55GZ950b OLEd in the air
    this guy sold me on it

I went for it for upscaling capabilitites, HD pretty awesome on it and Sy Ultra HD all sorts of good.
    found picture settings almost spot on out the box without delving too deep into menus / calib but found a few tips and trick on the avforums page where there are plenty of users

I came from a panasonic ST50 plasma and wanted to stick with Panasonic, it amused me that they're still on the same remote control as 7 years ago just added a netflix button.

Be aware there are reports of crackling speakers through the telly and external system although I haven't experienced it myself, some info on avforums on that.

This has an option in the settings to try and eliminate burn in, it runs a cycle that you can do periodically I think, although haven't tested and have no burn in after 2 months.

Edited by PatrickEwing at 12:02:59 08-11-2019
  • barchetta 8 Nov 2019 12:03:43 1,966 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    TV idents have some sort of ‘fader’ option though I can’t say I’ve seen any problems.

I wouldn’t recommend running BBC NEWS channel all day though!
  • BigOrkWaaagh 8 Nov 2019 12:10:59 8,971 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't need convincing anyway I just bought a new TV last month. Probably stupid with BF around the corner but whatever, I wanted it and I didn't see higher end QLEDs or their equivalents coming down to the same price I paid, although I will be a little annoyed if they do.
  • Technoishmatt 8 Nov 2019 19:41:34 3,616 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh have you looked at the actual tests of OLEDs for burn in? They make it look pretty unlikely any of us would see any burn in.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

Obviously depends on your usage patterns, but I dont think I would worry about it.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 8 Nov 2019 20:12:09 8,971 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    @BigOrkWaaagh have you looked at the actual tests of OLEDs for burn in? They make it look pretty unlikely any of us would see any burn in.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

Obviously depends on your usage patterns, but I dont think I would worry about it.
    Yep, I have. I even said it's unlikely, but it still scares me enough that I'm steering clear.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Nov 2019 20:15:35 21,502 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've got a faint outline of the PS4 dashboard on my plasma. Considering I'm pushing 40 that's pretty shameful.
  • nickthegun 8 Nov 2019 20:53:12 79,230 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The fact you have a plasma also marks you out as a man of a certain age
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Nov 2019 21:05:15 21,502 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I still really like the picture to be honest. I like the super sharp hyper bright colours of new displays but there's still something to be said for the natural look of a plasma. I'm going to miss her.
  • Addy__ 8 Nov 2019 21:17:16 2,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Decks wrote:
    OLED is fucking awesome. My now old 1080p LG OLED beats the shit out of most 4k led screens that I've viewed. Black levels are amazing. I also had a Panasonic plasma and was gutted when mine died. Before the LG it was the best set I've ever owned. I'll be getting a 4k oled next year when I move. Not sure what yet though.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 8 Nov 2019 22:11:20 3,628 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I still really like the picture to be honest. I like the super sharp hyper bright colours of new displays but there's still something to be said for the natural look of a plasma. I'm going to miss her.
    This is my problem too, still sporting the old 2009 plasma and choosing an alternative when it kicks the bucket is a challenge. Hoping it keeps going for a while yet.
  • Dougs 8 Nov 2019 22:43:17 91,055 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Me three. Plasma is especially awesome for SD, which there is still too much of.
  • barchetta 9 Nov 2019 00:33:42 1,966 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Richer Sounds are offering refunds to price match if sets purchased now are reduced for Black Friday.... you know.. if you really need something now.
  • fontgeeksogood 9 Nov 2019 05:21:12 7,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The game changer for OLED for me was the tech works regardless of the quality of the source. I too remain a plasma fanboy (sorry mother earth) but unequivocally the OLEDs smash my old Pioneer plasmas back doors in
  • Psychotext 9 Nov 2019 11:05:37 65,792 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    The game changer for OLED for me was the tech works regardless of the quality of the source.
    What do you mean by that?
  • Psiloc 9 Nov 2019 14:56:29 5,228 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He means the picture quality is world class regardless of the source. Black levels, contrast, viewing angles etc.

He's not wrong either. I've got a pikey B7, and the OLED factor is the most impressive thing about it, moreso than 4K and HDR.
  • Dougs 10 Nov 2019 07:42:32 91,055 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    No tech can make ITV content look good!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.