The Eurogamer HDTV Guide Page 219

• Dougs 12 Dec 2019 08:02:05 94,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    I thought OLED was the thing that stopped people mourning plasma but thatís the second time this week someoneís made a similar comment. Maybe I should stick to my last of its kind Panny
    Nah more time I spend with it the more I utterly fall in love with it.
    Yeah, you really need to watch/play some UHD HDR content to really what it can do. Normal HD looks good and better than my old plasma but it's the UHD stuff that blows your mind.
  • monkman76 12 Dec 2019 08:03:16 16,156 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What about, you know, vidja games? That Pro dong the business Decks?
  • Dougs 12 Dec 2019 08:03:43 94,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:

For both SDR and HDR, Cinema mode is the one to use if you want colour accuracy. Standard is over saturated.

Cinema mode can look dull at first but if you give yourself a couple of days to get used to it and then go back to Standard you'll see how it's too colourful.

It is a personal preference thing though, if you like the colours to pop a bit more then stick with Standard.
    I suspect I'll end up with something in between the 2. I know what you mean though, the colours almost seem unnatural.
  • monkman76 12 Dec 2019 08:08:24 16,156 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I remember the same thing when I got my GT60 plasma - put it on cinema mode despite thinking it looked a bit dull, but soon found I couldn't go back to any other setting.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Dec 2019 08:28:40 25,562 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    I thought OLED was the thing that stopped people mourning plasma but thatís the second time this week someoneís made a similar comment. Maybe I should stick to my last of its kind Panny
    Yeah, you really need to watch/play some UHD HDR content to really what it can do. Normal HD looks good and better than my old plasma but it's the UHD stuff that blows your mind.
    I spent most of last night watching nature documentaries. If you haven't seen a walrus throw itself off a cliff in in crystal clear 4k HDR is there even any point in being alive?

And yeah I was kind of torn between standard and cinema home, standard looks amazing at times but also a little garish.

I've fucked about with the settings a bit in cinema home to get it a bit closer to standard and I'm pretty happy with it now.

And games look great monkman, the implementation of HDR is a bit of a mixed bag though depending on the game. Going to install Spiderman and God of War again tonight as they're supposed to look great.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Dec 2019 08:31:06 9,960 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Another thing to note, maybe this is just me, but I tend to do another calibration after a few weeks (and never touch again). There's something which seems to need a while to 'settle' (this sounds like bullshit, probably just my eyes)
  • Switch024 12 Dec 2019 09:34:32 3,904 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's true, the panel needs a couple of weeks to settle down. It's why they don't recommend you get one calibrated until you've used it for 200 hours.
  • Psiloc 12 Dec 2019 09:51:10 5,532 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    On the 7 series, the standard mode was way too cool by default. The Technicolor and ISF modes are set to Warm2 which is the equivalent to setting standard all the way to W35 or something.

Seriously, try the warmer settings. They will look orangey to begin with but you'll get used to them really quickly.
  • Blackmarsh63 12 Dec 2019 10:13:02 3,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Blackmarsh63 wrote:
    @fontgeeksogood A 15 year old plasma will piss on most of the current tv's .
    There's just so much rose colored glasses about this. I had a plasma TV and it was fine. Heavy, expensive, energy inefficient and too glossy, but fine.

That doesn't make it piss on most of the current Tv's unless you wilfully ignore price
    I should have said most current lcd's. I'm seriously considering an OLED at the moment. Just a bit worried about the burn-in issue.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Dec 2019 10:24:41 9,960 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wait, you're a plasma fan worried about burn in? I'm confused
  • Psiloc 12 Dec 2019 10:27:03 5,532 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The burn in issue has been way overblown IMO.

Most cases I've read about have actually always been from people who watch the same breakfast TV show every morning, or watch the same sport all day every day. Most often the former actually. Of course, this may be how you plan to use the telly.

I've never read even a single anecdotal case of a game HUD causing burn in. Lots of people hand wringing about it, but I've never seen anyone saying it's actually happened
  • Dougs 12 Dec 2019 10:31:28 94,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    And PES is right, on the LG with the onboard apps, the screen saver kicks in pretty quickly
  • mrpon 12 Dec 2019 10:36:58 36,268 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    That Pro dong
    Leave the filth outside plz monk.
  • monkman76 12 Dec 2019 10:50:26 16,156 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Haha, I spotted that but thought I'd leave it for the likes of you :)
  • Blackmarsh63 12 Dec 2019 10:52:44 3,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Wait, you're a plasma fan worried about burn in? I'm confused
    I had no issues with my plasma back in the day but it was used almost exclusively for movies. These days I watch a lot of football and have my PC/PS4 connected to my current lcd ,hence the burn-in concern of an OLED.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Dec 2019 10:54:52 9,960 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My plasma had significant burn in. Both my OLED sets (2 and 1 year old old) have nothing discernable
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Dec 2019 10:58:27 28,862 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    I went from a Panasonic VT50 to an LG C8 and the OLED is miles better, donít hesitate.

As Dougs says, the 4K HDR stuff is amazing.
  • Derblington 12 Dec 2019 10:58:48 33,409 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Even watching the same content (with necessary HUD items) it takes a looong time (in hours). As long as you are changing the content and letting it run it's screen refresh software you should be fine.
  • Psychotext 12 Dec 2019 10:59:11 67,165 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think I might get a pro in to calibrate all my screens next year. I can't be arsed doing it myself.
  • Monsieur_Blade 12 Dec 2019 11:30:44 474 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was treating my eyes to a bit more 'Seven Worlds, One Planet' in UHD last night and I noticed in a fast moving scene (a wild dog was chasing a kangaroo) that there was quite a bit of motion blur on the kangaroos running away.

I tried it with both Trumotion turned off and on but it didn't seem to fix it, although it was slightly better when I turned Trumotion to Clear. Is this just something that happens in UHD when objects move really fast and it's totally normal or have I got something set wrong on my TV?
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Dec 2019 11:41:27 9,960 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I think I might get a pro in to calibrate all my screens next year. I can't be arsed doing it myself.
    I love that a week ago you didn't have money for a new shitty TV and since then you've bought two and now this :D
  • Psiloc 12 Dec 2019 11:43:29 5,532 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's possible to set TruMotion to De-Blur = 10, with the De-Judder nonsense left off.
  • Switch024 12 Dec 2019 11:44:32 3,904 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Monsieur_Blade Which episode was it? I'll have a look on mine later. You can get some motion blur on OLEDs but it's normally judder that people notice. They use sample and hold like LCDs but as the response rate is instant the frames don't blur the same so you can sometimes see stutter in fast moving scenes.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Dec 2019 11:44:34 25,562 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Does a professional calibration really make that much difference? 400 quid seems like a hell of a lot to get someone to set the brightness on your TV.
  • Technoishmatt 12 Dec 2019 11:44:45 4,267 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Monsieur_Blade wrote:
    I was treating my eyes to a bit more 'Seven Worlds, One Planet' in UHD last night and I noticed in a fast moving scene (a wild dog was chasing a kangaroo) that there was quite a bit of motion blur on the kangaroos running away.

I tried it with both Trumotion turned off and on but it didn't seem to fix it, although it was slightly better when I turned Trumotion to Clear. Is this just something that happens in UHD when objects move really fast and it's totally normal or have I got something set wrong on my TV?
    Maybe they are just running too fast for the camera to capture at the framerate it is showing?
  • Derblington 12 Dec 2019 11:51:23 33,409 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Does a professional calibration really make that much difference? 400 quid seems like a hell of a lot to get someone to set the brightness on your TV.
    That's obviously not what they're doing. It's full on colour calibration based on your individual display and the lighting conditions of your space.

If you can do enough to make you happy, it's not worth it.
    If you want the absolute best image you can get, it might be.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Dec 2019 11:54:54 25,562 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've already ordered one of these so I'm not sure how much more they can do.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/nordost-valhalla-2-4k-uhd-hdmi-cable?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8tyCnYaw5gIVWODtCh23sAnSEAQYAyABEgKN9PD_BwE
  • Monsieur_Blade 12 Dec 2019 11:55:07 474 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    @Monsieur_Blade Which episode was it? I'll have a look on mine later. You can get some motion blur on OLEDs but it's normally judder that people notice. They use sample and hold like LCDs but as the response rate is instant the frames don't blur the same so you can sometimes see stutter in fast moving scenes.
    It was the Australia episode (Ep 4 I think) about 20 mins in. A Wild dog chases a couple of kangaroos and it was on the wide shot just before the kangaroo trips up. The kangaroo just became a blur on my screen for a couple of seconds. It was moving pretty quick though, so like @Technoishmatt says, maybe it was more that the actual camera framerate couldn't keep up with the speed? I only tried it on Normal setting mode though so I might switch to Cinema and see if that improves it.
  • Derblington 12 Dec 2019 11:57:48 33,409 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I've already ordered one of these so I'm not sure how much more they can do.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/nordost-valhalla-2-4k-uhd-hdmi-cable?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8tyCnYaw5gIVWODtCh23sAnSEAQYAyABEgKN9PD_BwE
    This genuinely tickled me :)
  • JamboWayOh 12 Dec 2019 12:00:42 19,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wtf?! Is that for real, it's a fucking cable.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.