The Eurogamer HDTV Guide Page 227

• Alastair 14 Jan 2020 14:33:18 24,257 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    There was a collective appreciation of your skills from the gentlemen of the forum
    Closely followed by an intake of breath and a checking our wallets were still safe.
  • elstoof 14 Jan 2020 18:06:55 25,676 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Where was I when this happened
  • Dougs 14 Jan 2020 18:58:48 94,076 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Spending all that dough on coke and hookers I hope.
  • elstoof 14 Jan 2020 19:12:23 25,676 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That does sound familiar
  • cjb_bjc 31 Jan 2020 21:12:28 2,132 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That really annoying time of year where the TV's are more expensive than they were before Xmas and the lull before the new ones come out! Gah
  • Switch024 4 Feb 2020 17:06:17 3,738 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Apple TV app is now available on the latest LG OLEDs. It's well worth a look, loads of films in 4K HDR/Dolby Vision and there's always stuff being discounted to under a fiver.
  • Dougs 4 Feb 2020 17:06:46 94,076 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ta for the heads up!
  • Phattso 4 Feb 2020 17:54:56 25,301 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iím in the market for a new set this year. Iím hoping the new LG CX at 48 inches turns out ok.
  • barchetta 4 Feb 2020 22:55:02 2,411 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Anyone else with an LG OLED (I suspect a few) have it connected via HDMI audio return to an amp? I have a B8 65".

I watch live TV, iPlayer, Netflix and Prime sourced via TV apps and find the audio sync of the live TV is really hard to get right. Oddly, all the streaming channels look fine. They all run through the same cable & amp preset.

I can tweak the delay on the amp but it seems to wander.

Think I may just use the TV speakers for live TV....
  • Rodney 5 Feb 2020 05:15:41 4,397 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I just bought a samsung 75" RU7100, and it seems to be a bit shit.

It's got really bad ghosting/trailing, even in brightly lit scenes, for example if a person onscreen is talking or their face changes expression then then their face blurs, and moving objects leave a noticeable trail. If the image is relatively static the detail pops back in.

I know it's on the budget end of the market but is this normal?

I've got a 10-year old Samsung, and a 2-year old 4k Sony and neither of them have this problem. So is the new TV maybe a fault panel or is it just a shit product?
  • Dougs 5 Feb 2020 05:41:06 94,076 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    barchetta wrote:
    Anyone else with an LG OLED (I suspect a few) have it connected via HDMI audio return to an amp? I have a B8 65".

I watch live TV, iPlayer, Netflix and Prime sourced via TV apps and find the audio sync of the live TV is really hard to get right. Oddly, all the streaming channels look fine. They all run through the same cable & amp preset.

I can tweak the delay on the amp but it seems to wander.

Think I may just use the TV speakers for live TV....
    I have my C9 connected to an amp, all returned via TV audio channel on the amp and have no such problems.. tried a different HDMI cable?
  • barchetta 5 Feb 2020 07:22:11 2,411 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Dougs I'll give it a try - I thought maybe there is some difference in the way the live TV audio is decoded in the TV before being sent via HDMI - since streaming apps all look spot on.

I'll check cables first then consider a new freeview box. I'd been using the TV as receiver since my last box failed. Pretty sure it was better that way but added to the junk/cables etc.
  • barchetta 5 Feb 2020 07:26:09 2,411 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Rodney what source are you using? Have you tried a bluray/4k disc? Even a good UHD stream should look great most of the time if it is freeview etc then quality varies a hell of a lot.

Any low quality compression / macroblocking is going to be magnified at 75" too.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 5 Feb 2020 07:35:17 24,919 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've seen a lot of people complaining about lip sync while using arc on the LG TVs. I bought a new AV receiver recently and seemed to be having a problem with it at first but it seems to have gone away.
  • Dougs 5 Feb 2020 08:29:19 94,076 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    barchetta wrote:
    @Dougs I'll give it a try - I thought maybe there is some difference in the way the live TV audio is decoded in the TV before being sent via HDMI - since streaming apps all look spot on.

I'll check cables first then consider a new freeview box. I'd been using the TV as receiver since my last box failed. Pretty sure it was better that way but added to the junk/cables etc.
    Get a premium certified one if you haven't already. Only a tenner or so but seem to be recommended by LG for connecting to receivers etc.
  • barchetta 5 Feb 2020 11:15:27 2,411 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Dougs cheers
  • neems 5 Feb 2020 18:17:33 4,834 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rodney

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/tv-audio-video/troubleshooting-ghosting-on-my-tv/

Anything helpful there? Otherwise maybe give Samsung / retailer a shout.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 8 Feb 2020 23:19:48 24,919 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Decks wrote:

The AVR automatically picked up that its a PS4 and has seemed to pass it on the TV so I'm guessing that means it probably does?
    Should do then. Is it the Yamaha?
    So I've been convinced that I've been feeling input lag on games so I've looked into it more tonight and found the PS4 doesn't even support ALLM. Tried manually switching to game mode tonight and games feel much more responsive.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 11 Feb 2020 07:55:07 9,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rodney I know this is a bit late in the day now but I had a fairly decent 1080p Samsung and replaced it with a budget 4k set a few years ago. The ghosting on the newer set was noticeable straight away and it filled me with mild regret ever since. I kind of got used to it and it was only really in darker scenes but I just always felt a bit stupid for buying a new set that was in some ways worse than the set I came from. I just bought an even newer set further up the range and every little niggle I had with the cheapo set is resolved.

So tl;dr Yes from my sample size of 1 it's a 'feature' of lower end Samsung sets.

Oh also to the people talking about Sync delay I had that with my new set which is nether LG nor goes through an amp so this may be completely irrelevant, but I switched the audio from Dolby to PCM and it fixed it.

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 07:57:52 11-02-2020
  • barchetta 11 Feb 2020 10:39:31 2,411 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    No - really does make stuff shine. Not sure if you are GamePass compliant or a Sony user but, if you can get it, Crackdown3 looks superb in HDR - worth a try even if the game doesnít grab you.
  • Rodney 11 Feb 2020 12:29:21 4,397 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh

Yeah I've sort of gotten used to it. Part of the problem was just shitty Netflix streaming.

There's still a bit of judder /ghosting but it seems mostly limited to horizontal movement, and during darker scenes. Horizontal panning looks terrible.

It's a VA screen so the contrast isn't too bad for an LED. My old Panasonic plasma was still better in many ways though.
  • Psychotext 12 Feb 2020 12:39:45 66,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Anyone got any suggestion for getting high quality versions of films etc onto my LG OLED? I can't use Plex any more because... well, it looks fucking terrible now compared to what I've seen from blu-ray / 4K streams.

Does it have any apps that can play media directly from a USB memory card / drive?
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Feb 2020 12:44:01 28,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Anyone got any suggestion for getting high quality versions of films etc onto my LG OLED? I can't use Plex any more because... well, it looks fucking terrible now compared to what I've seen from blu-ray / 4K streams.

Does it have any apps that can play media directly from a USB memory card / drive?
    Do you have AppleTV?
    I run a Plex Server on my NAS and use the Infuse app on Apple TV and stream 4K UHD Blu-Ray rips flawlessly. It's a brilliant player but only available on Apple platforms AFAIK.
  • Dougs 12 Feb 2020 12:51:18 94,076 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:

The TV does it natively doesn't it? Plug a USB/HDD in and it should pop up
  • Psychotext 12 Feb 2020 13:20:21 66,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    No idea. Not tried, hence asking. :p

(and no, no apple TV here)
  • Dougs 12 Feb 2020 13:55:36 94,076 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Can't comment on how well it does it mind you!
  • ozthegweat 12 Feb 2020 17:52:38 2,500 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would recommend a dedicated box like an Apple TV. Apps on "Smart" TVs are quickly abandoned once newer generations arrive. I'd prefer if my TV would act more like a dumb PC display and not turn every little piece of interaction like turning up the volume into a fucking "experience".
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Feb 2020 18:07:49 24,919 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The apps on the C9 are fantastic.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.