Web hosting

• Steven-Huckle 18 Jun 2003 16:21:39 852 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    A bit of a spin off from the donits thread...
    I want to set up a web site, but wtf to I start.
    Can I host it on my own machine and just register the URL?
    What sort of options are there?
    I'm sure some of you guys work or know a lot about this sort of stuff.
  • FWB 18 Jun 2003 16:23:26 56,367 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    What you going to put on your site and can I put that on mine too?
  • pjmaybe 18 Jun 2003 16:26:30 70,666 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    "Can I host it on my own machine and just register the URL?
    What sort of options are there?"

1) No reason whatsoever you can't host it on your own machine, a static IP address from your ISP and you're on. Either use IIS or if you're one of those kiddy-fiddling linux users, you can use that as a webserver.
    2) Either that or just sign up with one of the many web hosting companies on the web (lycos, tripod etc) - you might have to pay a bit for a URL wherever you decide to host your site though. Try www.freeparking.com

Peej
  • Steven-Huckle 18 Jun 2003 16:28:57 852 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    What you going to put on your site and can I put that on mine too?

It's for my wifes business, but feel free to copy it or even tell people it's yours :o)

If I host it on my machine I presume i'll need some pretty good security?
    I think I prefer the idea of off site hosting tbh, anybody got any good recommendations?
  • Killerbee 18 Jun 2003 16:32:35 5,080 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    If you sign up with lycos.co.uk (free) they give you some webspace and they've got a fairly easy (but unsophisticated) tutorial to get your first website up and running. You have to put up with adverts from them appearing on your site though.
  • jiroczech 18 Jun 2003 16:40:00 2,669 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Depends what you want to do Steven. If you're just looking to put up site for fun, then it's not really worth buying a domain/hosting unless you've got money to burn.

Your ISP probably gives you some web space, usually with a URL something like www.yourname.ISPname.com, blueyonder give me something like 20mb I think..

If you want a domain e.g www.stevenhuckle.com then you need to buy it and find hosting and it's generally best if you do that with the same company.

If you want to do that then I'd recommend 34sp again! I'm setting up a kind of blog site for while we're in Japan, so I needed some stuff like mySQL and Perl. 34sp's basic package is not only dirt cheap 15/yr but includes these features too! So far they seem excellent - it's dead easy to upgrade your hosting if you need additional features and their default limits on traffic and webspace are pretty generous.
  • Steven-Huckle 18 Jun 2003 16:40:37 852 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, dont want to have adverts on the site. Also prolly going to need quite a bit of space and a decent url.
  • CerealKey 18 Jun 2003 16:44:40 2,860 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    jiroczech wrote:
    If you want to do that then I'd recommend 34sp again! I'm setting up a kind of blog site for while we're in Japan, so I needed some stuff like mySQL and Perl. 34sp's basic package is not only dirt cheap 15/yr but includes these features too! So far they seem excellent - it's dead easy to upgrade your hosting if you need additional features and their default limits on traffic and webspace are pretty generous.

You're off to Japan? When? why? For how long?
  • Steven-Huckle 18 Jun 2003 16:44:57 852 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    jiroczech wrote:
    Depends what you want to do Steven. If you're just looking to put up site for fun, then it's not really worth buying a domain/hosting unless you've got money to burn.

Your ISP probably gives you some web space, usually with a URL something like www.yourname.ISPname.com, blueyonder give me something like 20mb I think..

If you want a domain e.g www.stevenhuckle.com then you need to buy it and find hosting and it's generally best if you do that with the same company.

It needs to be a proffesional site, the art works not a problem but all the tech stuff i'm not that hot on (though if I get stuck I do have this place for help :o).
    I've only got normal dial up atm, but will be getting BB when I move next month.
    I think my problem is not knowing enough about it all, which is why an external host could be the way to go.
    Looked at 34sp, seems good, just need to check what url my wife would like.

Edit: if i register a URL can I use any ISP and still use that URL (sorry if thats a dumb question).

Edited by Steven Huckle at 15:46:15 18-06-2003
  • jiroczech 18 Jun 2003 16:55:08 2,669 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Steven Huckle wrote:if i register a URL can I use any ISP and still use that URL (sorry if thats a dumb question)
    Yeah, in theory.. When you register a domain (.com/.co.uk/.biz etc) the company you do it with is only really acting on your behalf as a registrant or something - but they are involved in how that URL gets resolved, like where it points to.. If you want it to point somewhere else, then it should just be a matter of switching where it points to, but it's not always that simple. Some hosts will offer to get the domain transferred for free, others will charge you and the whole thing depends of whoever you originally registered with playing ball.

At least that's my experience of it.. I could be totally wrong!

re: Japan - Yes! Woot! I'll put a thread up about this soon, but yeah.. me and the girlfriend and our 2 kids are all going to Japan for July!! Yay!!
  • pjmaybe 18 Jun 2003 16:57:37 70,666 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    WOPR wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Either use IIS or if you're one of those kiddy-fiddling linux users, you can use that as a webserver.

Peej
    !!

So either use IIS and watch your site go down a lot due to MS knowing diddly squat about anything to with the web, or use Linux or Unix where it will be stable and secure. Hmmm tough choice.

Sorry, Linux is a sore point here at the mo. People who don't know how to use it don't bother tcp wrapping the bloody things then stick 'em on the network, BAM instant warez server 2 days later.

I've got no gripes with IIS for our intranet, wouldn't stick an IIS machine on the internet though!

Peej
  • Shivoa 18 Jun 2003 18:01:19 6,314 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    >I've got no gripes with IIS for our intranet, wouldn't stick an IIS machine on the internet though!

But IIS has one great feature that makes it ideal for all users: The Administration.

Thanks to its great name when you log into the admin system the default is /IISADMIN, or 'I is admin'. Despite the bad grammer how ace is that. Always put a smile on my face when working with IIS intranets.
  • Whizzo 18 Jun 2003 21:14:02 44,807 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I look after my brother-in-law's company website and when I was looking for someone to host it a friend suggested Fasthosts. I've been pretty impressed with their service level and even their cheapest level of a business hosting offers a fair amount. I've been tempted to go for one of their personal home user accounts which aren't too pricey but I've got nothing really to put on there so it would only be an ego massaging exercise! :-)
  • silentbob 18 Jun 2003 21:34:03 29,527 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Either use IIS or if you're one of those kiddy-fiddling linux users, you can use that as a webserver.
    Peej
    What are you like :) The most popular web server for Unix / Linux sytems (aka Kiddy Fiddle-o-ware apparently) is Apache and is the best out there IMO. But IIS also ships with Windows 2000 and XP professional and both are free. IIS would be by far the easier to setup - but quite frankly Linux beats the living shite out of Windows (yes even now) for stability. You may find that the cheaper web-hosters (and the free ones) use Linux and Apache - because its rock solid and its free. Plus leading database MySQL and one of the best web hypertext pre-processing languages, PHP, all ship apache inegratable products as well.

Apache is also available for windows, but thats somewhat akin to sticking a Ferrari engine in a Skoda.

I just realised I've gone completely over the top with this post but I can't be arsed to delete it. So bleaaah!
  • HoriZon 18 Jun 2003 22:21:07 14,326 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    We host our [link=http://www.pr-clan.com/" target="_blank">site with the
  • Botox 19 Jun 2003 01:27:24 154 posts
    Registered 19 years ago
    I really really don't recommend Fasthosts. Limited "unlimited" bandwidth and noteable downtimes are annoying.

One&One are great, very professional, cheap, fast, great uptime, all the features. About 10 a month for the basic service.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.