CPU problem

• Pirotic Moderator 18 Jun 2003 16:59:20 20,642 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Hiya, i know this isnt a technical support forum but i figured some of you might know more than i do about PC's.

basically PC runs fine for a little bit, then suddenly everything starts chugging along, what i've noticed using the system monitor is that when the PC is working fine, when i close all the windows down the CPU usage is about 5%,

however, once its started slugging, even if i close everything down the CPU useage is constantly 100%.

checked the ctrl-alt-del list to make sure it isnt something in the background, im starting to think its either a windows glitch or the CPU is knackered, any ideas?

thanks in advance
  • lost_soul 18 Jun 2003 17:01:41 9,372 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    What OS are you using?
    You've checked the process list in the task manager (NT,2K/XP)?
  • Deleted user 18 June 2003 17:10:21
    How much memory you got in your rig?
  • Machiavel 18 Jun 2003 17:20:00 5,964 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Are you using Norton Utilities?
  • Pirotic Moderator 18 Jun 2003 17:54:48 20,642 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    using windows *horrible* ME,

checked task manager, and tried closing every single thing down including the windows components just leaving 'explorer' in there and its still the same.
  • eviltobz 18 Jun 2003 18:11:40 2,511 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    i'd say back up your data and reinstall windows from scratch, not one of those repair or install over the top of an existing installation options. there's only so long i find that a machine can run happily before needing a good formatting.
  • lost_soul 18 Jun 2003 18:12:31 9,372 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It's going to be your OS then, definitely not your CPU.
    Do everything you can to get hold of 2K or XP, so, so much better.
  • Pirotic Moderator 18 Jun 2003 18:22:17 20,642 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Well, its my fiancée's computer. i have windows xp up here on cd but dont really want to have to format and total reinstall incase she doesn't like XP and kicks my ass ;)

it looks as if explorer is fucking up and getting itself into a loop, and using all the CPU constantly, it seems to always happen about 8 minutes after the PC has been on, so i figured it was either CPU getting hot or just a glitch.

i disabled screensaver/powersaving and stuff to check it wasn't that.

oh well, i'll have to see if i can find a windows ME cd around her house.

thanks lads
  • lost_soul 18 Jun 2003 18:26:23 9,372 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Come on, who doesn't love the blue and green XP interface ? :-)

You know you change XP so it looks like classic windows?
  • Shivoa 18 Jun 2003 18:27:15 6,314 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    very very unlikely to be a hardware issue.

Try a run of Adaware6 to check for anythign that can hide from C-A-D. If only it was an NT based OS you'd have a lot more chance of catching it (if it is a problem program) as it is time related and not activity related.

Also check the scheduled tasks for something like scandisk trying to run in the background (you never know)
  • Pirotic Moderator 18 Jun 2003 18:33:59 20,642 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    i checked the scheduled tasks, i hate ME myself and i know that with XP you can change it to classic (which is what i have at home) - ta about the adaware tip, forgot that.

i even checked the registry in windows->current version->run, got rid of any trash.

wish i could undo the last windows update now, as it was fine until about a week ago.
  • Killerbee 18 Jun 2003 18:35:00 5,080 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Have you tried looking at these?

I agree with Shivoa - Spy/Adware could be the problem too. Try typing 'msconfig' into the Run box from your start menu and see if there are any dodgy looking programs running at startup that shouldn't be there.
  • bainbrge 18 Jun 2003 18:38:53 1,687 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Pirotic, I had a weird problem slightly similar, after a while the PC would start stuttering (especially noticeable in games).

Weirdly, by getting a new heatsink, it was cured. World of the strange eh?
  • Machiavel 18 Jun 2003 18:43:10 5,964 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    My last stuttering was caused by a bad file in Norton Utilities - slowing down folders and such. Also FindFast from Office used to regularly cripple the performance as it cheerfully searched my entire hard drive.
  • Pirotic Moderator 18 Jun 2003 20:46:24 20,642 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    im hoping its sorted, had PC on for 20 minutes now without any problems, told Norton Internet Security to feck off, and cleared a couple of things from starting up (they were in service mode and therefore not visible in the normal list)

no doubt as soon as i post this it'll start to chug again, getting adaware now, thanks for all your suggestions!
  • Pirotic Moderator 18 Jun 2003 23:06:44 20,642 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Feck, still buggering up.. weirdly the amount of ram being used jumped up 20 megs exactly when it conked out, i didnt load any programs and didnt hear any hard-disc stuff

i've also noticed the amount of free ram is now 20, normally its over 100.. is it possible this is a RAM issue?

and on a second note, i've got 47 page faults when i looked at memory details. no to sure if thats related :p
  • HitchHiker 19 Jun 2003 09:19:44 2,892 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    wish i could undo the last windows update now, as it was fine until about a week ago.

On that subject, have you installed update 811493 (not sure if it applies to WinME). It was bugged and caused numerous slowdowns in Windows and MicroSoft have recently re-released a new and improved unbugged version.

However, I think it's still bugged because after I installed it on my Win Xp system, any time I played a 3d game the whole thing would freeze and then go, freeze and then go continully every few seconds.

Uninstalled the update and all was fine again.

HH.
  • Nemesis 19 Jun 2003 09:42:05 19,957 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Piro, sounds like you've done pretty much everything. Anything in the event logs that might pick up something you're missing?

If the RAM was fucked, I'd say you're more than likely to get a BSOD than slowdown. An old trick you can try is just to disable the hell out of everything onboard barring essentials and rip out any non-essential cards. See if that helps, then put it back one bit at a time.

Certainly sounds more like a software issue due to the memory grab. Is the hard disk light on when it slows down? Drop to DOS and do a NET STOP SCHEDULE and see if that kills the problem.

Good luck mate!!!!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.