Microsoft slams Nintendo strategy

First Previous
  • bystander 19 Jun 2003 15:04:27 186 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    MS slams Nintendo strategy

Some interesting quotes:

"Asked if Microsoft was planning its own entry into handheld gaming, following the revelation of the PlayStation Portable at E3, Moore told us: 'We're not in that business and there are no plans to be in that business right now.'

Explaining this stance, he added: 'If I believe, which I do, in the social aspects of gaming, at the furthest end of the gaming spectrum against that is handheld gaming, because that's a very solitary, time-killing activity.

'It's not something you share - we believe that the future is the social element of gaming, and that's going to be done through a console, not through a handheld gaming device.'"

So I guess we won't be seeing a MS handheld anytime soon then.

Edited by bystander at 14:04:48 19-06-2003
  • CerealKey 19 Jun 2003 15:06:19 2,860 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    They don't make rucksacks big enough for a MS handheld.
  • Blerk Moderator 19 Jun 2003 15:07:12 48,222 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    So Microsoft is doing online but not portable. Nintendo is doing portable but not online. And Sony comes along and does both, thereby wiping the floor with the lot of them!

Well done, chaps.
  • shirubagan 19 Jun 2003 15:09:09 954 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    So Microsoft is doing online but not portable. Nintendo is doing portable but not online. And Sony comes along and does both, thereby wiping the floor with the lot of them!

Well done, chaps.

Arsehat to that my friend. I hate my PS2 and Sony are going to have to really pull something out of the bag games-wise to make me relinquish my preciousssssSP.
  • Blerk Moderator 19 Jun 2003 15:12:40 48,222 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I hate my PS2 and Sony are going to have to really pull something out of the bag games-wise to make me relinquish my preciousssssSP.

Doesn't matter about you though, does it? It's those other 20 million Sony users you have to worry about. :-)
  • lennon 19 Jun 2003 15:13:26 249 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    At last someone tells Nintendo that the GBA link up feature really isnt all that interesting. Didnt expect it to be MS though.

They should have goy Ballmer to do it he could have charged around like an enraged bull at the same time.
  • mal 19 Jun 2003 15:17:33 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    bystander wrote:
    MS slams Nintendo strategy
    Nintendo have got a strategy? Noone told me! I thought that Nintendo just thought that games were dropped off in Japan by a big stork and swam by themselves all the way over to Europe.
  • bystander 19 Jun 2003 15:28:19 186 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It's strange that Microsoft say they don't like handhelds and then develop a couple of games for the GBA.

"They don't make rucksacks big enough for a MS handheld."

Seems like CerealKey has hit the nail on the head (so to speak). MS couldn't make a reasonably sized handheld and so they say it's not worth it for them to go into that market.
  • shirubagan 19 Jun 2003 15:30:20 954 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    To really hammer home the advantages of connectivity Advance Wars 2 needs to be backed up with a GC version (Cube Wars?) that you can actually continue playing on the train to work, then upload to your GC at home and continue there. You hear me Nintendo? Killer App. Nuff said.

Why have they not thought of this?
  • CerealKey 19 Jun 2003 15:31:33 2,860 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    shirubagan wrote:
    To really hammer home the advantages of connectivity Advance Wars 2 needs to be backed up with a GC version (Cube Wars?) that you can actually continue playing on the train to work, then upload to your GC at home and continue there. You hear me Nintendo? Killer App. Nuff said.

It's called a Gameboy Player.
  • Blerk Moderator 19 Jun 2003 15:32:22 48,222 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Cube Wars?

Why no Cube version of Advance Wars? Why? Why? WHY? Idiots. :-(
  • Nemesis 19 Jun 2003 15:33:01 19,957 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Live is a nice system for getting online and gamematching. /shrugs

'If I believe, which I do, in the social aspects of gaming, at the furthest end of the gaming spectrum against that is handheld gaming, because that's a very solitary, time-killing activity.

Twat. Linked up GBA's are the heart of social gaming. Our last hols consisted of Mariokart linkups - great fun.
  • CerealKey 19 Jun 2003 15:33:41 2,860 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Cube Wars?

Why no Cube version of Advance Wars? Why? Why? WHY? Idiots. :-(

Because it works perfectly well on a Gameboy?
  • shirubagan 19 Jun 2003 15:33:56 954 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    CerealKey wrote:
    shirubagan wrote:

That's a cop-out. I want decent graphics and sound on my TV at home, not GBA music. Horses for courses and all that...
  • Blerk Moderator 19 Jun 2003 15:48:41 48,222 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Because it works perfectly well on a Gameboy?

Well, yeah. It does. But it's also one of Nintendo's best new (to the West, anyway) franchises. Why no home version to cash in on the success? Same goes for Pokemon. They clearly don't want money.
  • Marcus 19 Jun 2003 15:49:12 1,646 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    shirubagan wrote:
    CerealKey wrote:
    shirubagan wrote:

That's a cop-out. I want decent graphics and sound on my TV at home, not GBA music. Horses for courses and all that...
    Would people really pay Ł30+ quid for a tarted-up version of a GBA game? Personally I don't think so (even though I love Advance Wars), so the GBA player is the most likely.
    As for killer app, does anyone know how many copies of advance wars have been sold? (not flaming, just curious)
  • AnotherMartin 19 Jun 2003 16:07:00 6,229 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I wish companies would spend their time talking up their own products rather than knocking others. It's like that thing you did as a kid when you where getting told off, you would always try and justify it by saying your brother/sister/friend did something a lot worse.

Oh and no MS handheld, I'm sure we can trust them. I mean they where right about the X-box only being for games and not a trojan horse multi media centre, right?

oh...

And on another note, I pre-odered AW:2 (US). Yay.
    Not palyed the 1st one so hoping i can get into the 2nd with no problems.
  • Blerk Moderator 19 Jun 2003 16:08:29 48,222 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I pre-odered AW:2 (US).

Noooo! You are clearly evil importing scum! Nintendo will be round with a big hammer to destroy you! ;-)
  • AnotherMartin 19 Jun 2003 16:11:46 6,229 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    I pre-odered AW:2 (US).

Noooo! You are clearly evil importing scum! Nintendo will be round with a big hammer to destroy you! ;-)

Hey, I'll use my EG comments and postings in my defence case!!

With the work i do for them on here, I'm sure they'll let me of just this once!!

(though I'll have to hide my copies of AC, FL and my US N64 with about 20+ games ;-)
  • Daryoon 19 Jun 2003 16:12:33 5,912 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    "If I believe, which I do, in the social aspects of gaming, at the furthest end of the gaming spectrum against that is handheld gaming, because that's a very solitary, time-killing activity."

'Social' gaming is playing online against people thousands of miles away who you can't even see and will never meet? And people linking up their GBAs for a quick blast on Mario Kart isn't? And I hate to mention it, since I know some people here don't like it, but Pokemon is the epitome of 'social gaming'...
  • Deleted user 19 June 2003 16:18:17
    I actualy think MS have got this one wrong big time. I'm not that interested in online gaming yet. The idea of being able to play some Nintendo or Sony classics in the bus/train/car is much more interesting though. Anyway are online games really that social? Multi-player link-ups definitly are, but calling someone a faggot from half way across the globe doesn't seem very soical to me.

Edit: Daryoon basically made the same point as me, faster. Damn these slow fingers! :)

Edited by Keyser_Soze at 15:20:26 19-06-2003
  • Alastair 19 Jun 2003 16:24:42 24,560 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Keyser_Soze wrote:
    Multi-player link-ups definitly are, but calling someone a faggot from half way across the globe doesn't seem very soical to me.

Of course not, you should be calling them a Donit!
    :o)
  • Deleted user 19 June 2003 16:29:08
    Alastair wrote:
    Keyser_Soze wrote:
    Multi-player link-ups definitly are, but calling someone a faggot from half way across the globe doesn't seem very soical to me.

Of course not, you should be calling them a Donit!
    :o)

Could someone clear up what exacly a donit is, with links to relavent threads:)
  • Alastair 19 Jun 2003 16:30:19 24,560 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Look at the XBox screenshots for WWE Raw, read the comments, and all should become clear.
  • Daryoon 19 Jun 2003 16:35:21 5,912 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    FeZZ wrote:
    Nintendo's strategy :
    Make pokémon games
    Make handheld consoles to play pokémon games

They'll be out of business once beyblade has it's own videogame.

I dunno, 5 million copies of Ruby/Sapphire sold in Japan seems like enough to me...
  • Deleted user 19 June 2003 16:36:02
    FeZZ wrote:
    Nintendo's strategy :
    Make pokémon games
    Make handheld consoles to play pokémon games

They'll be out of business once beyblade has it's own videogame.

And i think that playing with someone from the other side of the world on live is more social then someone playing advance wars on his GB-sp on the train to work, ignoring everyone around him/her.

I was saying playing link up games with your mates 'round and a few beers is more social than someone alone in their home roaring at some other twat on the end of the line.

Why should games have to be soical anyway? We don't all call our friends around to our house to enjoy the final few pages of a good novel. I think there is a much bigger market for handheld gaming than MS thinks.
  • Shivoa 19 Jun 2003 16:42:20 6,314 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I think the speach thing is very important with MP and that will kill the half way across the world problem if only we can have an 18+ service that can be seperate. Nothing against the kids (to most of you I'm just another one) but when I play coop I like to talk strategy not trash and even DM I'll swear like there's no tomorrow as I get a round to the head but it's all fun. You get far more fun out of the cap when you hear the 'ow, you biatch!' from the reciever. 'you cheating faggot!' etc is just getting stupid and so is the random crap that often spews from the kids.

More coop/strategy games with voicecom and bonuses for winning (comment 'I'm a lame ass bitch' next to any player who wins less than 25% of matches or who disconnects a lot is a good start) so you don't end up with a teammate who can't be bothered to work for the win with you. Also a mandatory training session or two (like you have to get so far into the game before you unlock the MP) so you don't end up with a complete noob watching your back and shooting you in the food because he didn't know any better.
  • Blerk Moderator 19 Jun 2003 16:56:36 48,222 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    If you have the kind of friends that all get around a table, take out some cold ones and then start playing on your gameboys, then you are nerds.

And cracking out a beer on your own and playing games with people you can't see and who you've never met is somehow less nerdy?
  • lennon 19 Jun 2003 17:00:00 249 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    If you have the kind of friends that all get around a table, take out some cold ones and then start playing on your gameboys, then you are nerds.

And cracking out a beer on your own and playing games with people you can't see and who you've never met is somehow less nerdy?

Doesnt quite conjure up the same image of a nerd though one bloke on his own with a beer and a console as opposed to many nerds collectively sitting round and hooking up hand held consoles when they should be playing Halo! :)
  • Shivoa 19 Jun 2003 17:03:33 6,314 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    >one bloke on his own with a beer and a console

Sounds like someone might want to think about leaving the house sometimes. Remember, drinking is not a solo sport. Ever!
  • First Previous
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.