Pullman hates Narnia

First Previous
  • ScoutTech 16 Oct 2005 20:30:30 2,428 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anyone else see the reports about Pullman really laying into Narnia books and C.S Lewis, saying they should be banned as they are racist and against women? Now I have a deep fear that this will descend into a religion thread, but I dunno this smacks to me of him just trying to say "your books suck dead man." Apparently he has a deep hatred of the Narnia series anyway but now has come out and said all this stuff.
    Many are comparing the 2 sets of books, Pullman being the Anti-Lewis so do you think this is him trying to down the competition, seperate himself or just playing pick on the dead guy?
  • Ecanem 16 Oct 2005 20:42:58 5,039 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bill Pullman the actor?
  • oceanmotion 16 Oct 2005 20:45:35 17,358 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hmm, read the books, watched the tv show but I can't for the life of me remember much at all.

So, any examples to go with his arguments ?
  • Deleted user 16 October 2005 20:46:03
    Ecanem wrote:
    Bill Pullman the actor?

Philip Pullman, the author of His Dark Materials (awful books, IMO).
  • Deleted user 16 October 2005 20:55:26
    JC2 wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Ecanem wrote:
    Bill Pullman the actor?

Philip Pullman, the author of His Dark Materials (awful books, IMO).

You are an idiot.

Er, IMO. IMO
  • The-Old-Bill 16 Oct 2005 21:00:04 5,101 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JC2 wrote:
    You are an idiot.
    Heh, so says the man who refuses to have an argument other then "it pwns joo".
  • Deleted user 16 October 2005 21:01:36
    JC2 wrote:
    Why does that change anything?

Because I'm not saying that it IS awful, I'm saying that I THINK it's awful. There's a difference.
  • The-Old-Bill 16 Oct 2005 21:02:01 5,101 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Really? Must have been that no3 then.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2005 21:04:07
    Bill Door wrote:
    Oooooh- athiest hates books written by Christian author. Hold the front page :)

My thoughts exactly...no matter what he claims otherwise.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2005 21:06:59
    JC2 wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:
    JC2 wrote:

Because I'm not saying that it IS awful, I'm saying that I THINK it's awful. There's a difference.

...and that is why I think you are an idiot.

What's your problem? You flame me for my opinion, even though I had said that that was my opinion and that I wasn't forcing it on anyone.

Seriously, calm down.
  • Syrette 16 Oct 2005 21:13:04 50,768 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    JC2 wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:
    JC2 wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:
    JC2 wrote:

...and that is why I think you are an idiot.

What's your problem? You flame me for my opinion, even though I had said that that was my opinion and that I wasn't forcing it on anyone.

Seriously, calm down.

I am calm. What you're saying makes no sense. I think you are an idiot because you think that His Dark Materials are crap. Simple as that. Your opinion is why I think you are an idiot (IMO).
    sorry, that makes no sense.
  • The-Old-Bill 16 Oct 2005 21:13:34 5,101 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You think someone is an idiot and base that on one single fact? Surely that hints at both naievity and ignorance.

Edited by The Old Bill at 21:16:02 16-10-2005
  • Ecanem 16 Oct 2005 21:14:22 5,039 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JC is an idiot..
  • Deleted user 16 October 2005 21:16:50
    JC2 wrote:
    Why? It makes perfect sense. If I was to say, I hate black people* you'd say I was an idiot. It would be my opinion but why would that change anything?

(*I do not hate black people at all, just using it as an example)

No - maybe he wouldn't say you're an idiot. Maybe he'd refrain from throwing insults out over an internet forum over absolutely nothing.
  • The-Old-Bill 16 Oct 2005 21:17:23 5,101 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JC2 wrote:
    Why? It makes perfect sense. If I was to say, I hate black people* you'd say I was an idiot. It would be my opinion but why would that change anything?
    Your repeated refusal to embrace the outside world worries me. I'd hardly compare Racism and the disliking of one paticular series, they're totally irrelevant.
  • timo180 16 Oct 2005 21:17:50 2,714 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Oh dear. Stop digging JC2 otherwise we'll have another "otto is a dickhead" thread on our hands.
  • The-Old-Bill 16 Oct 2005 21:18:54 5,101 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Seems familiar.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2005 21:19:31
    JC2 wrote:
    Why? It makes perfect sense. If I was to say, I hate black people* you'd say I was an idiot. It would be my opinion but why would that change anything? The point is that you'd think I was an idiot because of my opinion.

Being racist and not liking a series of books is completely different.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2005 21:20:46
    JC2 wrote:
    urizen wrote:
    JC2 wrote:

(*I do not hate black people at all, just using it as an example)

No - maybe he wouldn't say you're an idiot. Maybe he'd refrain from throwing insults out over an internet forum over absolutely nothing.

Not the point again. I'm just saying that you can call someone an idiot because of their opinion (foreverafternothing said that what I said made no sense).

But it shows you have no time for other people's opinions and believe only yours is correct.
  • Syrette 16 Oct 2005 21:21:43 50,768 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    JC2 wrote:
    The Old Bill wrote:
    JC2 wrote:
    Your repeated refusal to embrace the outside world worries me. I'd hardly compare Racism and the disliking of one paticular series, they're totally irrelevant.

That's not the point though. I said that I think someone is an idiot because of their opinion and foreverafternothing said that that made no sense. I'm just proving that in fact you do think people are idiots because of their opinions.
    you can't call something or thing idiotic because their opinion differs from yours. it just doesn't compute.
  • The-Old-Bill 16 Oct 2005 21:22:23 5,101 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What do you mean "explaining"? You called him an idiot, and now you're just digging yourself farther up shit creek.
  • Syrette 16 Oct 2005 21:23:15 50,768 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Old Bill wrote:
    What do you mean "explaining"? You called him an idiot, and now you're just digging yourself farther up shit creek.
    yeah. come on dude, generally i think you're pretty cool, but you've put yourself in a pretty defenseless position. let it go.
  • The-Old-Bill 16 Oct 2005 21:24:07 5,101 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JC2 wrote:
    Why not?
    Because then you never learn.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2005 21:25:30
    JC2 wrote:
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    you can't call something or thing idiotic because their opinion differs from yours. it just doesn't compute.

Why not?

It shows that you're ignorant and think that you - and only you - are correct. You can't see things from other people's points of view and are willing to accept why they think differently from you.
  • Syrette 16 Oct 2005 21:26:20 50,768 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    JC2 wrote:
    foreverafternothing wrote:

Why not?

It shows that you're ignorant and think that you - and only you - are correct. You can't see things from other people's points of view and are willing to accept why they think differently from you.
    exactly.
  • mrharvest 16 Oct 2005 21:26:25 5,599 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I read the first book of His Dark Materials as required module reading. Seems to me Pullman would like to undo the over 300 year tradition novels are and go back to telling stories.
    I don't believe in children's literature. Either it's literature or not.

Pratchett hates Rowling, Pullman Lewis. What else.
  • Syrette 16 Oct 2005 21:26:37 50,768 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • The-Old-Bill 16 Oct 2005 21:30:03 5,101 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mr Harvest wrote:
    Pratchett hates Rowling
    That was because of her comments though, to be fair to Pratchett.
  • Syrette 16 Oct 2005 21:31:56 50,768 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    what do you hate koti?
  • MikeD 16 Oct 2005 21:31:57 10,063 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    BA hates flying. He gets all his dvds at virgin.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.