Pullman hates Narnia Page 3

• matrim83 17 Oct 2005 07:26:11 5,712 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If you guys think Pullman or Lewis sucked try reading Terry "its not LOTR" Brooks.
    Now there's a guys that deserves to be flamed. And if you did enjoy his books then you really are an idiot.

What? Everyone was going off topic and I needed to get that out since I picked up Sword of shannara a week or so ago.
    /Thinks of the books again.
    /Pukes.
  • Scimarad 17 Oct 2005 07:30:30 9,803 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The first 2 1/2 books of His Dark Materials were utterly compelling but the 2nd half of the 3rd book was a terrible anticlimax. I have never read Narnia but the trailer for the film looks good:-)*

Oh and as someone who isn't going into the Judas Unchained thread for fear of spoilers, was it any good?

*The above opinion is correct and all others are sadly misguided
  • pjmaybe 17 Oct 2005 08:52:17 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Good cos I hate Pullman. 1 book was great, then it all turned to shite with the 2nd and third.

Peej
  • cov 17 Oct 2005 09:35:11 2,328 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    first book was okay, last two were terrible, and not imo, its a fact :p
  • cov 17 Oct 2005 09:36:28 2,328 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    oh and I'm agnostic not that has any bearing on recognising terrible books when I see them :D
  • Machiavel 17 Oct 2005 09:43:34 5,964 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Nah, I loved all three (well, except for some of the plotting in the second) - really admired the way he channelled his beliefs into smouldering, accusatory prose. And a great way to guide children through scary concepts of disease and death.
  • Spanky 17 Oct 2005 09:49:30 15,012 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yup i loved all 3 n'all, some ropey bits such as the stupid wheelie creatures but that's about it. Some fantastic ideas in there and i'd be more excited to see Iorek smashing about on screen than Aslan, I know i'd be more scared of Metatron than a stupid witch.

CS Lewis i can't really comment on as i read tLtWatW(or whatever) when i was a kid and can hardly remember it. I read some of his little known sci fi recently though and it was rather good.

Actually screw them both, make more Oz movies! and don't let that twat America McGee anywhere near it.
  • cov 17 Oct 2005 09:51:18 2,328 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    out of the silent planet and the like? yeah I was quite impressed too
  • Spanky 17 Oct 2005 10:12:06 15,012 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    cov wrote:
    out of the silent planet and the like? yeah I was quite impressed too
    Yeah that was one of them. I love old scifi, there ideas of Space are so vastly different from ours, far more colourful and exciting :D
  • pjmaybe 17 Oct 2005 10:15:24 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Pisses me off when you see these noveau-literary C*NTS slagging off the classics. I should imagine Pullman would love to have sold a 5th of the number of books Lewis has worldwide, with that number set to go through the roof again with the release of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (thankfully I've already got all CS Lewis' stuff).

Bitter old fart. I didn't realise he was like that, I thought he would've had a bit more respect for a fellow oxford writer, even a dead one. He'll be laying into Tolkein next.

IMHO Mark Haddon pisses all over Pullman anyway.

Peej
  • cov 17 Oct 2005 10:16:08 2,328 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    exactly, love reading hg wells and john wyndham still. Watched an old sci fi series from when I was a kid, the martian chronicles, over the weekend

fantastic :D
  • pjmaybe 17 Oct 2005 10:18:39 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    There was a rather ace proggy about John Wyndham on at the weekend, but they followed it with the utterly bollocks yank film version of "The Day of the Triffids" - not fit to lick the boots of the Beeb's rather excellent adaptation.

Beats the hell out of me why the only books of Wyndhams that ever got made into films were The Midwich Cuckoos and Triffids.

Peej
  • cov 17 Oct 2005 10:26:00 2,328 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    bbc tv series: fking superb

now for one of the kraken wakes :))))
  • Spanky 17 Oct 2005 10:36:42 15,012 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Trouble with Lichen would make a good beeb show actually, due to the fact it'd need no sfx budget :D Chrysalids would also rock, but wouldn't come cheap, well actually.. ;)
  • pjmaybe 17 Oct 2005 10:39:42 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Chrysalids would be the one I'd be rooting for...!

Problem with Wyndham's books I guess, is that they really wouldn't work given the hollywood gloss-over.

Peej
  • Spanky 17 Oct 2005 10:43:57 15,012 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Why would you want anything to have the Hollywood Gloss Over, imo ruins everything it touches.
  • pjmaybe 17 Oct 2005 10:49:27 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I wouldn't - personally I'd love to see a low budget indie brit lot take on any of his books, if they have to be made at all...

The Beeb's version of "Triffids" worked so well because it was low budget, therefore more could be made of the characters and the situations rather than relying on CGI to get their arses out of the fire. I wonder if it's available on DVD...

Peej
  • Teeth 17 Oct 2005 10:50:24 7,987 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wow, this could all have been happy if JC2 had just said "you're an idiot IMO"
  • Shinji 17 Oct 2005 10:53:27 5,902 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Pisses me off when you see these noveau-literary C*NTS slagging off the classics.

Now, hang on a minute. Just because he's published he's suddenly meant to turn into a simpering opinion-less drone who likes everything popular? Balls to that. Even if I disagree with his reasons for thinking Narnia is shite, he's still perfectly entitled to say he thinks so.

I better never get my work into print, I wouldn't be able to handle saying things like "Narnia is a classic masterpiece" and "Tolkien was a very good writer". I'd probably throw up my own SPLEEN.
  • pjmaybe 17 Oct 2005 10:56:43 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I don't have a problem with him voicing an opinion now he's published, it's just that it seems like the "trendy" thing to do for these guys at the moment. Fresh on the heels of Pratchett denouncing Tolkien as "boring" you've now got Pullman laying into Lewis in a similar fashion, coincidentally for the same reasons (Pratchett had his little "moment" in the spotlight just as Return of the King was premiered, now Pullman's getting in early with his kick up the arse for Lewis' stuff just as The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe hype builds).

All for writers having an opinion, would rather they courted publicity by being good writers rather than whingeing embittered old hacks though.

Peej
  • Shinji 17 Oct 2005 11:06:31 5,902 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Thing is, what you'll probably find is that Pullman and Pratchett had been saying this stuff for years, but that the press only got interested enough to make a headline of it when there was a movie coming up. Philip Pullman saying "Narnia is cack" would have been meaningless three years ago, but he says it again now, and it gets pounced on by a journalist; does that mean he was doing it cynically as a PR stunt?

If I wrote a best-seller tomorrow suddenly my opinion of Tolkien's prose (i.e. that the man had all the literary talent of a can of tinned tuna) would probably be "noteworthy", but I've been saying it for years...
  • pjmaybe 17 Oct 2005 11:22:54 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Hmmm I dunno, he's had the opinion for years, the timing's just chronically fortunate for him given he's got a new book of scribblings out, and the Narnia films are about to go global. It just sounds a bit like the green eyed monster rearing its ugly head, particularly given that the Dark Materials films seem to have hit a bit of a dead stop...

Ah well, as a writer I guess this would be a great way to get a few quid out of some peed off journalist. Remind me should I ever get published that there's always the option of selling out to the press if I need a new pair of shoes :)

Peej
  • Deleted user 17 October 2005 11:31:43
    The Old Bill wrote:
    k.o.t.i wrote:
    I don't see the biggy, two people had a disagreement and one of 'em didn't articulate as well as they could (Bear in mind he's only 16)
    So's Deathgibbon.

Actually, I'm 15. :p
  • Deleted user 17 October 2005 11:32:39
    UncleLou wrote:
    Let me try to get this back on track, at least a little - I'd be interested why deathgibbon thinks Pullman is crap. If possible, without spoilers please, as I haven't read it yet. (the first book lying beside my bed though for ages now).

I read about half of Northen Lights (maybe I wasn't giving it enough time) but the book just didn't grip me at all. I found it boring and far too easy to put down.
  • Deleted user 17 October 2005 11:33:21
    Furbs wrote:
    Why arent you at school??

We've got a week off.
  • The-Old-Bill 17 Oct 2005 11:33:48 5,101 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Actually, I'm 15. :p
    I knew that, I just wanted to avoid anyone accusing you unjustly.

Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag! :p

Edited by The Old Bill at 11:36:43 17-10-2005
  • Syrette 17 Oct 2005 11:35:34 50,770 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Furbs wrote:

We've got a week off.
    half term already?
  • Deleted user 17 October 2005 11:40:00
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Furbs wrote:

We've got a week off.
    half term already?

I think we've already had that. :/

We get a week in October 'just because', really.
  • The-Old-Bill 17 Oct 2005 11:40:58 5,101 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    He be Scottish, and therefore wierd. Most English schools have half-term next week.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.