Router Question

First Previous
  • jackhjharding 27 Oct 2005 10:57:33 397 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hi, I currently have the Thomson SpeedTouch 510 Router connected to my Dell PC. I am thinking of buying a PowerBooK G4 laptop soon, and I was wondering other than going wireless, how can I use my router to also connect my Mac to the web as well as my Dell? Thanks
  • AnotherMartin 27 Oct 2005 11:10:05 6,229 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I take it it only has the one ethernet connection?

If so you cold try getting hold of a little four port hub that does uplink and try that.
  • jackhjharding 27 Oct 2005 11:12:37 397 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    No my router has 4 ethernet slots
  • FairgroundTown 27 Oct 2005 11:15:09 2,522 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Assumimg that the Dull (sic) is currently connected directly to the interweb via USB or some-such, then you need to Google on Internet Connection Sharing.
  • AnotherMartin 27 Oct 2005 11:24:51 6,229 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    If the router has four ethernet ports and is plugged staright into the adsl line then all you need to do is plug the PC and MAC in using network cards and you're off.
  • jackhjharding 27 Oct 2005 18:50:40 397 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have a spare ethernet straight through cable. Will this work to connect my MAC and router?
  • AnotherMartin 27 Oct 2005 18:55:13 6,229 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yep. Plug it in, make sure the Mac is set to DHCP and off you go.
  • pacrifice 29 May 2018 05:47:02 5,247 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/router-fbi-security-russian-malware-vpnfilter-advice-what-to-do-a8372911.html

What the deal then, can we all be hacked then or what? Or is this just the West's propoganda machine in effect 🧐
  • Dirtbox 29 May 2018 06:24:10 91,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    No, it's just a botnet and doesn't affect the user much. They aren't interested in you, just using your hardware to ping servers to ddos infrastructure. They took down the power grid in Ukraine with a botnet ddos.

The virus lives in your routers memory, so rebooting it clears it. Some routers have an added vulnerability that the virus can install a downloading script into the firmware memory which re-downloads the virus into memory again after a reboot.

Update your routers firmware or put a third party firmware on it that has the vulnerabilities plugged.

And stop bumping threads that are older than you are.

Edited by Dirtbox at 11:24:19 29-05-2018
  • Deleted user 29 May 2018 07:57:17
    Dirtbox wrote:
    And stop bumping threads that are older than you are.
    :D

Made me larf.
  • mothercruncher 12 Jan 2020 20:31:33 17,836 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So, Iíve been a dunce.
    Have been on PlusNet for a couple of years but using a third party modem/router. The modem part of it died last week so I plugged the PlusNet ďHub OneĒ back in temporarily and, fuck me, it was as bad as I remember it. The whole house is buffering city.

Bought something better, this, however, I did it in a rush and I havenít got a sodding modem have I, only a router. Nobhead.

Everyone seems to have just moved to combined dsl modem/routers now as far as I can see, is there a cheapish ADSL2+ modem out there thatíll work with my 35Meg (and 60+ meg speed for a bit of future proofing) broadband and let me plug this D-Link DIR-882 into it for house routing duties?
  • Technoishmatt 12 Jan 2020 21:39:55 4,285 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is the modem part of your plusnet hub bad or just the wifi?

Can't you just plug your new router into the hub via ethernet, and use it for wifi?

I use a separate router for my wifi.
  • mothercruncher 12 Jan 2020 21:45:57 17,836 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iíve just realised I need a VDSL/ VDSL2 modem.

Itís not, no, connection works well Matt, itís the wifi signal that falls the bits as soon as it needs to pass through, well, anything. Iíll attempt to put the thing into modem only mode but I very much suspect PlusNet will have locked it down and made that impossible, hence buying something.
  • dominalien 12 Jan 2020 22:26:42 9,662 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If Iím understanding you right you donít need to put it in modem only mode, you just need to disable its wifi and connect the new router you bought (through one of the lan ports, not the wan port) and disable its DHCP server and it should work just like that.
  • David_Richardson 12 Jan 2020 22:27:21 1,304 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Get yourself an Openreach modem from eBay. Thereís a decent DrayTek one too, but it will cost you.
  • mothercruncher 13 Jan 2020 12:03:19 17,836 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thatíll be my fall back David I think, ta.

Is this right dominalien?

So, the PlusNet thingy is handling the connection and IP address assignment etc, the D-Link 882 is hanging off of that and acting sort of like a regular switch but with wifi capability added?

Iíve got another switch downstairs with a load of devices connected, better thatís connected to the PlusNet hub, I think?
  • dominalien 13 Jan 2020 13:01:15 9,662 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If itís just the wifi thatís buggered on the Hub One you can connect your switch and other things to it directly with cables no problem. The drawing looks ok.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.