Following The Single Malt Thread Page 35

• Vortex808 21 Jul 2017 22:39:45 12,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm surprised duff.

During your lifting days, it'd have been decent booze ratio for minimal calories!
  • prettyvacant 22 Jul 2017 14:04:31 177 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I picked up Iain Banks whisky book recently and discovered something I'd never heard of before , whisky goes off ! It takes about a year to happen apparently so drink up .
  • elstoof 22 Jul 2017 14:13:51 20,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pretty sure that's just something you tell your wife when she complains about your drinking. Getting put in the bottle is the first time the whisky is sealed from the air, it'll have spent 10+ years in the barrel with contact to just as much air as it would be in an opened bottle
  • prettyvacant 22 Jul 2017 14:21:56 177 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I just took it at face value but it did seem weird , I notice it loses it's flavour after a bit so I sometimes decant into a wee bottle after a while .

I mean a smaller bottle , not a bottle for wee.
  • mal 22 Jul 2017 17:32:24 29,326 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Heh, yeah, I've heard that before, but I've had bottles open for a couple of years and the stuff inside was still recognisable as the stuff on the label. Not sure if it's the air you introduce or the effects of the light on the bottle to be honest.
  • GoatApocalypse 26 Aug 2017 08:08:11 4,222 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bulleit rye. £25 in Asda. Lovely.
  • mrharvest 26 Aug 2017 11:46:09 5,536 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Whisky can go off if the cork dries out. Give it a slosh every once in a while to prevent it.

Otherwise it's just the angels' share.

I bought Ardbeg 10 from the airport. It's slowly coming back to how it was when it was revived. Well impressed.
  • GoatApocalypse 5 Dec 2017 22:31:59 4,222 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ardbeg Uigeadail.

Oof.
  • elstoof 5 Dec 2017 22:42:30 20,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got a bottle of that in the cupboard, find it pretty hard going tbh. Had one about 10 years ago that I charged through, either the style has hanged or my palette has
  • askew 5 Dec 2017 23:33:21 17,192 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Too much iodine?
  • mal 6 Dec 2017 00:58:32 29,326 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Don't tell me the Uigedeal's gone that way too? Talisker 10's gone none of the smoke and flavour it used to have (and I say that comparing an old bottle with a new one, so no changing palate there), and I've not yet braved a bottle of Lagavulin to find out if that's changed. At least Highland Park's still identifiably the same.

I guess it might not be the same change. New Talisker 10's drinkable enough, even if it doesn't deserve the label any more.
  • elstoof 6 Dec 2017 06:24:53 20,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Laga and talisker are still enjoyable, well balanced bottles, always got those on hand. Theyíve probably changed a bit but thatís life, theyíre still better than most at their price points. The Oog just doesnít taste well balanced any more though, thereís far too much of something. Even watered down to a more reasonable strength it lacks the sweetness it used to have. Shame because Iíve always kept some Ardbeg on hand, Iíll probsbly quietly retire this one to the back of the rack and get some laphroig next
  • GoatApocalypse 6 Dec 2017 06:54:17 4,222 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Think you might have a duff bottle, mine is superb. It does need a spoon of water otherwise the alcohol kills my taste buds but it's bloody good gear.
  • GoatApocalypse 17 Dec 2017 22:12:52 4,222 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Back on the a'Bunadh. This bottle is almost finished, sadly, but it's been bloody good to me.
  • GoatApocalypse 3 Feb 2018 21:46:32 4,222 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Glen Marnoch Speyside. £17.49 from Aldi.

It's OK. It probably exceeds what i expect for less than £20. It's thin, and has a slightly bitter finish but it does have a finish and all things considered, there's a degree of complexity here. Big cereal and the tiniest hint of sherry on the arrival leads to salt, preserved lemons, capers and a pleasant warmth.

I've recently agreed to merge bank accounts with my other half and I'm in need of a bottle that will do me for regular sipper without drawing her ire. This will do just fine. It's barely better than inoffensive but that'll do just fine at this price.
  • mangojoe 3 Feb 2018 23:11:18 1,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does this have to be single malt. Really decent blends that are better than a lot of malts now
  • mal 4 Feb 2018 00:29:34 29,326 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'll accept blended malts, but I'll have none of that pishy grain whiskey in my drams.
  • GoatApocalypse 4 Feb 2018 07:23:00 4,222 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I like a good blend but they're not exactly cheap these days, either. Monkey Shoulder and Black Label each go for nearer £30 than £20.
  • H1ggyLTD 4 Feb 2018 07:29:50 9,890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like that Beckham grain whiskey.
  • mangojoe 4 Feb 2018 07:58:49 1,930 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haig club ? I like that too.
  • H1ggyLTD 4 Feb 2018 08:07:08 9,890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah.
  • Beetroot_Bertie 4 Feb 2018 12:11:07 418 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GoatApocalypse I'm no connoisseur, but don't find them (Aldi Glen Marnoch) too bad at all for what they go for. Like you've said, I think they exceed expectations. I prefer the Highland and Islay ones though, they seem a bit more distinctive to me. The Islay one is a bit like Laphroig but with more caramel (to my unsophisticated palate anyway). I think all 3 probably go a bit heavy with the caramel.

I tried the cheaper Haig one (Clubman?) last year when it was going for 14 quid on Amazon and it was OK I guess. I don't know how it compares to the main brand but it reminded me of Vodka initially then had some light floral type stuff going on. Didn't taste good with cola even though I think that's what it's designed for and I preferred it neat or with a touch of water. Didn't mind it as something a little different though.

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 12:11:52 04-02-2018
  • GoatApocalypse 7 Apr 2018 22:03:08 4,222 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hell of a recent hall:

Pikesville 6 rye
    Michter's rye
    Booker's bourbon

The Pikesville and the Booker's are special. The Michter's is good, but vastly over-priced when Rittenhouse BiB is consistently £10 cheaper.
  • GoatApocalypse 13 Apr 2018 21:04:01 4,222 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Michter's is a decent rye, but I can't figure out why it's over £50 a bottle.

Makes a passable Manhattan but really it's a good, smooth sipper worth £40, tops. And even then it should be a higher proof.
  • GoatApocalypse 21 Apr 2018 22:36:20 4,222 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Glenlivet Founder's Reserve.

I don't tend to buy NAS scotch at less than cask strength but this was a mere £13.60 and, in need of a decent albeit cheap bottle to provide my second (or third, or fourth) glass of the night, I thought I'd give it a go.

It's very light as you'd expect from a Speyside but jesus it's young. Has that harsh alcohol and metallic mineral quality. Vague hints of oak but no presence, no arrival, no finish of note.

You're better off with Aldi's Speyside, or any high-end supermarket bottling. Swerve this one, even at £13.
  • LionheartDJH 7 Jun 2018 00:07:06 20,139 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Started my journey into the wonderful world of whisky about a year ago after drinking Jameson neat for the first time.

Be good to get some suggestions for other drams based on what I've liked/disliked so far. I think I like the smoothness in Irish whiskey and smokiness in a scotch, but I've probably not tried enough to tell!

Initially wasn't a fan of scotch but have grown to really enjoy a decent one.

Great:
    Aardbeg 10
    Jura Origin
    Glengoyne 15
    Jameson

Decent:
    Black Bottle
    Johnnie Walker Black
    Glengoyne 12
    Haig Club
    Tullamore
    Bushmills

Shite:
    Johnnie Walker Red
    Tesco Special Reserve (lol)

Aardbeg and Jura have stolen the show so far, so I am thinking I should try more single malts, maybe from different parts of Scotland to better understand the differences in tastes?
  • GoatApocalypse 7 Jun 2018 05:48:14 4,222 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I need to reply to this properly, but the first thing I'd say is that if you're a big fan of Jameson, you'd do well to explore bourbon. Generally, bourbon offers much more bang for your buck than scotch and you might prefer bourbon's rounded, smoother flavours.

Start with Buffalo Trace, which you can generally find for around (or less than) £20.
  • Zomoniac 7 Jun 2018 09:13:03 9,721 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @LionheartDJH

If you like the Ardbeg 10 then the Uigeadail and Corryvreckan will blow your mind.
  • elstoof 7 Jun 2018 10:53:28 20,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Talisker, Lagavulin and Highland Park are worth a go if you like Ardbeg and Jura

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.