Following The Single Malt Thread Page 38

• drhickman1983 17 Aug 2018 14:48:55 5,722 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finally bought a bottle of Ardbeg's Corryvreckan.

What an interesting whisky. Quite medicinal tasting, hints of smoke, pine needles. Just a deep flavor.

Tempted to pour another but I need to ration this shit out. Another later, certainly.
  • Vortex808 17 Aug 2018 15:04:25 13,069 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Poorandugly wrote:
    Just want to say that the Glenfarclas 17 is sublime. Nice tones of raisins and fruitcake, to my nose anyway. Highly recommended!
    Just spotted this, I haven't tried the 17, but I quite dig a Glenfarclas.

I only have the 15 at home, the 21 is a good bit better than that and I *especially* like the 25, but it's a good bit dearer to buy.

Must remember to drop hints to the missus near xmas...
  • smoothpete 17 Aug 2018 15:14:23 35,484 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Jetset_UK wrote:
    @smoothpete Hows the Caol Ila 18? The Caol Ila 12 was one of the first single malts I tried, and I hated it. So given it a wide berth since then, but tried it again and really enjoyed it.
    I can't remember. I think I liked all of them tbh

They were from a mate who buys and sells single malts. He reckons he's made about £50K in the last 3 years.
  • GoatApocalypse 31 Aug 2018 21:26:18 5,323 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wild Turkey 101. Tough to look past it for bang-for-your-buck; it's not the most complex or interesting bourbon but it delivers in the key areas in which you want a bourbon to deliver. It's good enough to sip, good in a cocktail and I just enjoy drinking a no-frills American classic.
  • GoatApocalypse 1 Sep 2018 21:56:16 5,323 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pikesvilke 6-year-old rye.

One of the best whiskies on the world. Simply divine.
  • elstoof 1 Sep 2018 22:08:58 22,627 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Havenít a tried that one, I should do because I love Rittenhouse
  • GoatApocalypse 1 Sep 2018 22:18:08 5,323 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's like extra brilliant Rittenhouse. It's not really worth the extra cash, and I prefer Rittenhouse in a Manhattan, but it's a tremendous sipper.
  • elstoof 1 Sep 2018 22:27:12 22,627 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thatís the thing for me, all my American whisky goes into cocktails pretty much. I once had a bottle of Sazerac 18 rye which was sublime, so I forced myself into drinking most of it neat even though what I really wanted was Manhattan after Manhattan. £90 whiskey (which was 10 years ago money) seemed too extravagant. Seem to have settled into a routine of Blantonís for Old Fashioneds and Rittenhouse for Manhattans, with a bottle of Trace on hand for when I want to make the world disappear

Edited by elstoof at 22:28:56 01-09-2018
  • LionheartDJH 1 Sep 2018 23:52:40 20,291 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @GoatApocalypse how would you say it compares to Buffalo Trace? Tried a few bourbons and that's my favourite so far.
  • GoatApocalypse 2 Sep 2018 00:15:07 5,323 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Leagues ahead of Trace. I might actually prefer Jim Beam White Label to Trace.
  • LionheartDJH 2 Sep 2018 00:16:03 20,291 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also I was the lucky recipient of a few new bottles for my birthday this week: Highland Black 8, Johnnie Walker Green and Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

I know a few people in here have recommended the Aldi whiskies and after trying the Highland Black I can see why. It's a nice dram, easily drunk neat and tastes even better after leaving the bottle open a few days. Much better than Tesco own brand and Johnnie Red for roughly the same price, excellent value.

Johnnie Green is lovely, can see it being a go-to sipper for me alongside the Black. Great that it states which whiskies it contains so I can try them on their own too.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is a big improvement on the standard 10 year for me. I find it has the same smokiness but has a richer flavour with sweet notes. I've had the 10 year a few times and while I love the intense smokey nose I find the palette lacking, so it's good to have a different expression that packs more flavour while retaining the smokey goodness.

A slight aside but I've recently started exploring brandy, specifically cognac. Had Remy Martin VSOP which was nice, Hennessy VS which I preferred despite it's lower age as it seemed sweeter and Hennessy XO which was quite something; an incredible nose, lovely taste and so smooth that there was no alcohol burn whatsoever, never experienced that with a spirit before! Not sure I can justify the cost of a bottle though...
  • GoatApocalypse 2 Sep 2018 00:16:55 5,323 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @elstoof

I go Woodford, or Knob Creek, for OFs.

Rittenhouse is like the ultimate "house" whiskey. You can still get it for less than £35 a bottle, which is a steal.
  • LionheartDJH 2 Sep 2018 00:20:27 20,291 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @GoatApocalypse
    Interesting, I find JB White a bit one note and prefer Trace to Woodford so guess shows how tastes can differ! I'll have to try some Turkey then.
  • mangojoe 28 Sep 2018 18:38:16 2,257 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jonny Walker green 32 quid in Asda at the moment.
  • Mola_Ram 1 Oct 2018 10:46:12 19,351 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm just getting into whiskey, and don't really know what I like yet. So far I have the most experience with the peaty ones - Laphroaig, Caol Ila. And Elements of Islay Peat, which tastes like burning (this is not a complaint).

But I'm trying other, different things, just to see what's out there. I've got Arbelour 12 year old, Glen Scotia Victoriana, and saw a Skye single malt that sounded nice.

I'd also love to get into Japanese whiskeys, but by God they're expensive. I guess I could fulfil my Yakuza 0 fantasy and make a Kakubin Highball fairly cheaply.
  • mangojoe 1 Oct 2018 11:55:31 2,257 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Try jonnie Walker black. Probably my fav
  • GoatApocalypse 1 Oct 2018 13:30:54 5,323 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mola_Ram

Nikka From the Barrel is a good introduction to Japanese whiskey, and is relatively reasonably priced.
  • LionheartDJH 2 Oct 2018 13:20:51 20,291 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Mola_Ram if you like the peaty ones then definitely try Ardbeg and Lagavulin, both a step up from Laphroaig in my opinion. I'd also recommend the Quarter Cask Laphroaig which I prefer to the standard 10 year.

If you like scotch it might be a good idea to carry on what you're doing and try a few from each producing region of Scotland, crude map here.

The Skye single malt is probably Talisker, I'd recommend trying the standard 10 year to get your bearings with it before trying the no-age statement Skye and Storm expressions. You can get a miniature tasting pack of the 3 for about £12 in supermarkets.

Highland Park 12 is worth a try, it is a bit of a mix of styles.

If you're interested in blends then as mangojoe suggested Johnnie Black is a good entry point, and the Green is a step up (the Red is naff though, avoid!). Monkey Shoulder is also pretty nice.

As a relative beginner myself I found that getting some miniatures was both a cost-effective and fun way of exploring whisky, as well as trying new ones if in a bar with a decent selection. If you don't like one then at least you're not stuck with an almost full bottle!

I also use an app called Whizzky which you can log your collection on, add stuff to your wishlist and also rate the ones you've tried, which I find really useful as a reference.

Just a warning that buying whisky can become quite addictive once you get into it!
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Oct 2018 08:11:52 5,323 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Picked up the Balvenie miniatures at the weekend. - the 12 Double Cask, 14 Caribbean Cask and 17 Double Cask. I've not tried their stuff yet, so looking forward to giving it a go.
  • Mola_Ram 8 Oct 2018 10:20:23 19,351 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My housemate is going down to Tasmania in about a week, and he's just told me that he has 20kg of luggage space left over for Tasmanian whiskey if I want to make use of it.

...yes please.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 10:20:36 08-10-2018
  • docrob 8 Oct 2018 18:28:36 1,120 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    Picked up the Balvenie miniatures at the weekend. - the 12 Double Cask, 14 Caribbean Cask and 17 Double Cask. I've not tried their stuff yet, so looking forward to giving it a go.
    Caribbean Cask is absolutely lovely. Sadly they no longer stock it in Tesco and I only have about 20% of my last bottle left.
  • GoatApocalypse 8 Oct 2018 19:44:08 5,323 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They seem to sell it in Sainsbury's if you've a big one nearby.
  • docrob 8 Oct 2018 19:51:22 1,120 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    They seem to sell it in Sainsbury's if you've a big one nearby.
    Sadly this is a Sainsbury-free zone. The nearest oneís over half an hourís drive and even that one isnít large.
  • GoatApocalypse 11 Nov 2018 07:59:23 5,323 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rum, then.

Went to a bar near mine called the Cuban Embassy last night and had all the rum. I used to drink Havana 7 a bit when I was a kid but since getting into whiskey I've sort of dismissed rum as being a bit shite.

Well, no longer.
  • smoothpete 11 Nov 2018 10:13:32 35,484 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was at the Glasgow Whisky festival yesterday. When Iíve recovered Iíll post some details. Man alive I had some great stuff.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2018 10:19:17
    I've got a Yamazaki 12 that I daren't open.
  • GoatApocalypse 11 Nov 2018 10:24:23 5,323 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Innit wrote:
    Coward
  • smoothpete 11 Nov 2018 10:49:20 35,484 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This shit, incredible.

https://imgur.com/gallery/V8fvPfJ
  • Deleted user 11 November 2018 11:38:19
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    Innit wrote:
    Coward
    I was saving it for a special occasion but shit, I guess I have to open it now.
  • GoatApocalypse 11 Nov 2018 11:43:40 5,323 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I jest.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.