Following The Single Malt Thread Page 40

Next Last
  • billythekid 22 Mar 2019 13:30:17 12,334 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I started watching the[link url=https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCElm866_W5r1eg8VjhFNARw
    ]Whisky Vault youtube channel[/link] a few weeks ago now when I was off sick for a day.
    I liked the non pretentious way they spoke about whisky and the motto that the best whisky is the one you like, the way you like to drink it.
    I'd previously only really liked a couple of bourbons and thought I'd like to give Scotch a go.

Anyway, a few weeks later I've acquired a couple of Glencairn glasses and a whole bunch of miniatures and samples.
    So far the highlights for me have been

Laphroaig 10
    Balvenie 14 caribbean cask
    Ardbeg 10
    Highland Park 12

I'd heard a lot of people saying the really peaty ones were probably not for scotch noobs but they're probably my favourites of all I've tried.

Got a couple more to try this weekend too,

Port Charlotte 10
    Laphroaig QC
    Lagavulin 16
    Classic Laddie

After this I'll have to decide on a couple of full size bottles, but I've a feeling his could be an expensive hobby as I'd love to have a collection!
  • elstoof 22 Mar 2019 20:14:59 23,145 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Laga 16 is one of my favourites. Laphroig 1/4 cask is a gem as well
  • prettyvacant 23 Mar 2019 22:39:13 229 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You might like Talisker if you are enjoying Laphroaig etc , but avoid the Storm or whatever expressions as they're a bit shite imo .
  • Buffalo_Bertie 25 Mar 2019 11:55:52 32 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Had a couple of new bottles recently and massively enjoyed them. Usually into the peaty Isla's but these were fantastic:

- Auchentoshan three wood
    - Redbreast Lustau Edition

The Redbreast is like drinking a Christmas pudding, in the best way possible. Would recommend getting it if you're into the heavier drams.

Was very surprised at how much I liked the three wood too, as I've tried the American Oak Auchentoshan and hated it.
  • DaM 25 Mar 2019 13:50:23 17,323 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I walked past the Auchentoshan distillery on Saturday! Had been up the Kilpatrick hills, just outside Glasgow. Lovely to see their potential water source, slap bang next to a busy four lane road. Hopefully they get it from somewhere else.

It's not exactly a fairy tale location :)
  • billythekid 25 Mar 2019 14:03:17 12,334 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So from the weekend's tasting session I have to say that the Lagavulin 16 was magnificent , so much so I've a bottle on its way to me already :D

@prettyvacant I've already tried the Talisker Storm and yeah, no. I've got a miniature of the regular variety to try, so hopefully that'll be a bit better.
  • smoothpete 27 May 2019 20:42:31 35,755 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Boooooooo they cancelled my order!

"Good afternoon Mr Pete,

Unfortunately, I've had to refund your order as the Port Charlotte has
    sold out quicker than the website was updated.

I am very sorry to have to tell you this."

Which is a bit fucking suspect to be fair seeing as it updated immediately from 10 bottle available to 8 bottles available when I placed my order.
    Quick follow up. These bottles I wasn’t able to buy at £270 are selling at auction for £750, 6 months later. Unbelievable
  • drhickman1983 16 Jun 2019 02:22:51 5,905 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just finished a bottle of Penderyn Legend, pretty thousand Welsh whisky.

I did get through the bottle in a week. Not sure if drinking that much in a week is concerning or not - not drank anything else at all, mind.
  • DaM 16 Jun 2019 12:57:43 17,323 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Just finished a bottle of Penderyn Legend, pretty thousand Welsh whisky.

I did get through the bottle in a week. Not sure if drinking that much in a week is concerning or not - not drank anything else at all, mind.
    Over twice the recommend weekly limit in the UK. But I think they are setting it unrealistically low. And single malts should be exempt.
  • Zerobob 16 Jun 2019 13:03:26 2,222 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whilst out on Friday I treated myself to a double Yamazaki 12 year after getting a new job. Was great, had a certain zest to it.
  • tonyferrino 16 Jun 2019 18:32:49 316 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Noice, and congrats! I had a shot of that a few years ago before the prices shot up, very tasty. My mother in law bought me a bottle of lovely Hibiki Harmony for Christmas (which was much more than I spent on her!) so of the two Japanese whiskies I've tried, I'm 2 for 2. Are they generally good quality if they make it over here? Waitrose often has decent deals on Japanese whiskies, I might pick up some more.

On the topic of Waitrose, I also grabbed a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12 the other day. It was discounted to £30 and with a voucher, I picked it up for £26. Excellent value at that price. I can't say my palate is trained enough to pick up the subtleties, but I know I like it!

I've been finding the Whiskey Vault Youtube channel pretty entertaining, US based and oriented, but still quite a good resource.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.