Stepehen R. Donaldson - Covenant

• matrim83 11 Nov 2005 10:12:17 5,712 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    All right just off the bat before this gets "olded". I know there is another Stephen Donaldson fans thread out there but I'm looking for some advice and thought a new one might be more appropriate.

OK so I took a break from the Dark tower series (left the last three books for later) and though I'd pick up some other fantasy. I got my hands on Stephen D and George Martin.

I started off picking the Covenent chronicles before the Song of ice and fire and I'm really regretting it. Thing is I'm finding the book a real slow one, I'm 150 pages in and nothing worthwhile has happened. I'm hating the main character, he seems boring, whiny and constantly angry for no reason. I'm disliking Donaldsons writing style. I just want to give up and start with George Martin. But I hate giving up books when I've read more than a third of the way through.

Also I remember I felt something similar when reading MST from Tad Williams but that series really picked up from book two and was fantastic read from there on and I was glad I persisted. So I do want to give it a fair shot.

So should I persist? Does it get any better, even a little better?

Edited by matrim83 at 10:20:43 11-11-2005
  • Garwoofoo 11 Nov 2005 10:16:09 263 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Been a while since I read it, but yes, from what I remember it doesn't really get going until the second book. And the second trilogy is better than the first. It gets quite imaginative in the end and Covenant even stops whining occasionally.

It never REALLY stops being anything other than a badly-written Tolkien rip-off, though, so if you're struggling with that then you might never really get to grips with it.

My advice would be to persevere until around halfway through the second book - if it really hasn't grabbed you by then, it probably never will.
  • spindizzy 11 Nov 2005 10:17:39 7,755 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I really wouldn't bother. I think I read all of them, but I was so bored that I can't be sure now. Utter drivel.
  • cov 11 Nov 2005 10:19:39 2,328 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    rubbish, best fantasy series ever written, by far

But if you don't like it so far, don't bother.
  • Teeth 11 Nov 2005 10:21:08 7,987 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I always call Covent Garden "Covenant Garden" but that's more of a Halo thing.
  • President_Weasel 11 Nov 2005 10:23:06 12,355 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    they're long and quite slow paced for the most part, and they're obsessed with sweeping themes and with inner feelings and the nature of reality and is the Land real or is it all in his head and does it matter anyway and ... sod it, I don't really care.
    On the whole I would say they are worth reading, but A Song of Ice and Fire is much better. That's like fantasy but with real, believable characters who you end up caring about, and who behave in a consistent manner. Also the books have the biggest cast of unbelievable bastards you could wish for.
  • matrim83 11 Nov 2005 10:28:16 5,712 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thats it then I'm chucking it. For now anyway. I'll hold on to the books for a boring day when I've got nothing else to read.
  • Carrybagma 11 Nov 2005 12:36:34 3,904 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Angst-ridden. Looks like set of interminably long books but seems even longer when you start reading them. Strangely compulsive though. A 'fantasy' book for someone who can't normally stand fantasy.

2nd set is better. I've just read the new one and the writing is a lot better, although not a lot seems to happen.

Keep it for a very rainy day..
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.