Recommend me a DAB Hi-fi system

• Deleted user 24 November 2005 17:40:20
    Hi guys,

I need to get a new hi-fi system after my parents kindly broke my old one when I was abroad...

Now I think I may as well get a DAB system as it seems to be the way forward, but I'm struggling to find value for money (Sub 200) mini systems that contain a DAB tuner and are also of a good quality, have features such as auto-shutoff etc.

Closest I could get was the Goodmans 1104S DAB Micro System, but I'm a bit put off by the fact that it's a Goodmans, and wouldn't mind spending a bit more than 80.00..

So anyone got any suggestions? And is DAB as easy to pick up as FM, I don't need to plug my hifi into a roof aerial or anything?
  • fergal_oc 24 Nov 2005 17:56:40 2,764 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There's a Panasonic set I've seen for around 130 that the missus is quite interested in.

linky
  • Deleted user 24 November 2005 18:06:21
    Ah yeah, I've seen that one...I don't know why it's that silly shape though, it's that that puts me off, it won't really go that well on my shelves!

Maybe I'm just picky...
  • Deleted user 25 November 2005 09:14:07
    Bump for the morning crowd...
  • smoothpete 25 Nov 2005 09:17:14 37,616 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    This one? Probably get it cheaper elsewhere
  • smoothpete 25 Nov 2005 09:21:16 37,616 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    fergal_oc wrote:
    There's a Panasonic set I've seen for around 130 that the missus is quite interested in.

linky
    5 watts per channel? It woudl struggle to fill a room with that IMO
  • ssuellid 25 Nov 2005 09:25:28 19,141 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Pure make some nice ones.

Most crappy 100w PMPO systems are really only 3 - 10w RMS - so maybe Panasonic are using proper figures. My amp is only a 40w one and can drive my speakers to volumes where you cannot hear the person next to you shouting.
  • smoothpete 25 Nov 2005 09:32:31 37,616 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I had a Panasonic CD mini system a while ago, the speakers were bi-wired and it sounded really great at lower volumes, but it definitely had more oomph than that one. You could always pop along to a retail park shop and try them in store
  • ssuellid 25 Nov 2005 09:43:21 19,141 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Pure Digital - mostly DAB mains powered portable radios, some stereo some mono.
  • smoothpete 25 Nov 2005 09:43:53 37,616 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Oh and with regards to getting reception, I had to install an aerial outside the house to get a decent signal, but I think that was mostly due to other AV equipment messing with the reception. That Goodmans actually looks pretty good for the money.

"Proof that good things can come in small packages." - What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision magazine
  • Hicksy 25 Nov 2005 09:58:30 2,677 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Matty, I actually own the Goodmans (original 1100) so here is a mini review from me to give advice for you and others who may be interested:

Pros:

- nice finish on main unit and speakers, weighty and good build (cd tray lid is very plasticy though)
    - very good performance from speakers, clear crisp sound on "normal" settings
    - DAB radio excellent

Cons:

- it's loud at full volume but not that loud (suitable for smaller rooms eg. bedroom, kitchen etc.)
    - "special" pre-settings like rock, pop etc are a waste of time, they are poor, good job the "normal" setting is spot on!
    - don't buy this product if you want to listen to cd's through headphones! the jack is extremely poor, tinny and with a hiss in the backround! o_o (this may have been solved with the revised model)

Hope this helps!
  • Hicksy 25 Nov 2005 10:01:15 2,677 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    OOOh one more thing which is annoying! The design of the cd reader means you cannot play cds with shiny finish on top (eg. coldplay's x & y). It spins the disks with a top down "clamp" and this slips on this type of cd :( (again may have been solved with new models)
  • Deleted user 25 November 2005 16:17:37
    Cheers Hicksy, doesn't sound too bad then, I presume the DAB reception is good then?

One more question, does it have an auto shutdown timer to fuel my horrible habit of not being able to sleep without the radio on?

It says "timer" on the tesco page, but I wasn't sure if this was auto shutdown or not...

oh and Frod, sorry, I was using the word Hi-fi to describe an all-in-one music system, as I thought was the common usage, I'm not too techy in music terms so I've probably confused my terminology, sorry for any confusion!

Sorry for the delay in replying btw guys, all answers appreciated, I've just been out braving the snow for some xmas shopping :)
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.