Terry Pratchett interview Page 2

Next Last
  • Stickman 29 Nov 2005 22:17:28 29,986 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just re-reading Last Continent at the mo, and it's not one of the best. Maybe he'd just been to Oz on holiday or something.

I thought Postal was absolutely faaaantastic! Vetinari's a great character. Does anyone else picture him looking like that geezer out of House of Cards?

Not read Thud! yet (don't do hardbacks, I'm a cheapskate), but going on your reactions, seems TP's on a bit of a run of form.
  • ProfessorLesser 29 Nov 2005 23:17:03 19,693 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This is where I chip in and say that it ruins my enjoyment of books to read this much into them.

Isn't this what Pratchett himself means when he says he hates literature?
  • kdsh7 30 Nov 2005 00:24:40 1,270 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I loved the Fifth Elephant! Jingo too actually, but I'm glad we're all united in the appreciation of Night Watch, which upon completion I proclaimed the best book I'd ever read.

poss spoiler ***
    By the first few chapters of Thud! I thought the real world parrallels a little too obvious and contemporary (fanatics - religious leaders - brainwashing) but he really brought it round in the end and I was able to flow with the storyline. Like the prof I don't like reading too much into the books and I tend to enjoy them as movies playing in my head as I read, but those first few chapters seemed very obvious.
  • Chtulie 30 Nov 2005 01:13:40 809 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    This is where I chip in and say that it ruins my enjoyment of books to read this much into them.

Isn't this what Pratchett himself means when he says he hates literature?

It's not like he hides his subtext or anything, in fact, he pretty much spells it out.

But to look, possibly too deep, into that statement, the critisism is probably that literature is only enjojable on the obscure subject but fails to tell an entrtaining story, which is one exteme. The other is simple mindless enjoyment without substance (quite a bit of TSR's output).
    Alternativly it's of the kind of literature readers that seek meaning and interpretations in stuff where the creator did something without any conscious thought. Artsy talk. Or Matrix fans.

With Pratchett it's a damn good entertaining story, with good humor and some real compelling characters. Which is about the usual 'life, the universe and everything' put in a diffirent context.

From someone out of the realm this seems like a solid entry into a fine old tradition of british humor along the lines of Adams, Grant & Naylor, Curtis and so on.
  • Chtulie 30 Nov 2005 01:16:58 809 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    kdsh7 wrote:
    I loved the Fifth Elephant! Jingo too actually, but I'm glad we're all united in the appreciation of Night Watch, which upon completion I proclaimed the best book I'd ever read.

poss spoiler ***
    By the first few chapters of Thud! I thought the real world parrallels a little too obvious and contemporary (fanatics - religious leaders - brainwashing) but he really brought it round in the end and I was able to flow with the storyline. Like the prof I don't like reading too much into the books and I tend to enjoy them as movies playing in my head as I read, but those first few chapters seemed very obvious.

I hope that, should a discworld movie actually be made, someone in pre-production is clever enough to say that the best thing to do is to create a discworld story from scratch specifically made for the medium of film rather then to try and adapt (and in the process gut and butcher) one of the books and somehow make it work in film (which it won't, can't even).
  • Bunda 30 Nov 2005 01:45:58 5,246 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Has anyone read the Art of Discworld, with Paul Kidby and Terry Pratchett? It has paintings of all the characters! It's so cool!

Edit: Sorry, sounded kinda preppy right there. But it is really fun to see what Terry and this Paul dude think of the Discworld characters.

Edited by Bunda at 02:02:53 30-11-2005
  • Markusdragon 30 Nov 2005 02:19:57 44 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    I liked Jingo, and I particularly like the Last Continent. I've been saying 'no worries' habitually ever since then.

You too, eh! Thought it was just me that continually said 'No Worries' since reading that.
  • marilena 30 Nov 2005 07:41:12 8,237 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The last answer is great, really reminds me of his writing.

I liked all the City Watch books, mainly because of the character of Sam Vimes, who adds two cool points to anything he's in. In my opinion, Vimes is Pratchet's favourite character too, it's obvious from how he is written. Usually I'm not high on infallible heroes, but it works for Vimes, simply because you want him to win every time.

Edited by marilena at 07:41:36 30-11-2005
  • Aurifex. 30 Nov 2005 08:36:57 1,030 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Funnily enough just been reading a few discworld books again. Feet of clay, guards guards, intersting times. The watch caracters are great. I saw Mr Prathchett in Christchurch NZ about a year ago, just walked past him on my lunch break and i thought he looks pissed off. Walks back to work and says i think i just saw Terry Pratcheet. Who? said my work mates, never heard of him. Ah.....that's why he was pissed off. No one bought his book. Shame.
  • Aurifex. 30 Nov 2005 08:47:56 1,030 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You can get a free PC download of Discworld from the Underdogs site. And you will need VDM sound to run it good for XP. Also you can get it from

http://abandonware.the-frenchkiss.biz/index.php?page=browse&type=Iso&npage=5

I think its in French but you can get Discworld Noir in English. Its all legal and not pirating by the way. Oh and you can get Beneath a steel sky free now from Scumm.

Edited by Aurifex. at 08:48:31 30-11-2005
  • spindizzy 30 Nov 2005 09:23:40 7,755 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    It's a fairly long one too.

What a great interview! Thanks for that.
  • ProfessorLesser 30 Nov 2005 14:51:51 19,693 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Aurifex. wrote:
    You can get a free PC download of Discworld from the Underdogs site. And you will need VDM sound to run it good for XP. Also you can get it from

http://abandonware.the-frenchkiss.biz/index.php?page=browse&type=Iso&npage=5

I think its in French but you can get Discworld Noir in English. Its all legal and not pirating by the way. Oh and you can get Beneath a steel sky free now from Scumm.

Edited by Aurifex. at 08:48:31 30-11-2005
    The Discworld games are some of the hardest known to man. They are, however, very faithful, which is also good.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2005 15:04:38
    I loved the Fifth Elephant. Shame on you Lutz.
  • SirScratchalot 30 Nov 2005 15:50:14 7,921 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Weatherwax had a couple of total shite books though. Vimes, Death and the wizards are uniformly excellent.

Yeah, I have a feeling she took a while to develop into a complete character. Before her later books she was close to completely devoid of human qualities.
  • ProfessorLesser 30 Nov 2005 17:26:00 19,693 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Fifth Elephant was awesome indeed. Vimes vs Werewolves FTW!
  • Bunda 1 Dec 2005 03:15:12 5,246 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    The Fifth Elephant was awesome indeed. Vimes vs Werewolves FTW!

The fifth elephant? One of the best.

But I think the best book in the series is Thief of Time. That one I've read six or seven times, and it gets better with every read.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.