Deadwood, yes or no?

First Previous
  • UncleLou Moderator 1 Dec 2005 16:45:03 40,158 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I recently bought the first 4 Sopranos seasons on DVD, and watched them in the last few weeks (as I had missed quite a few episodes on TV), but now I am almost through, and it'll leave a horrible hole in my life.

So how do I fill this hole? How good is Deadwood? The first season is available here for not too much moolah. There are 2 threads here, but they aren't too telling.

Is it in Sopranos/Six Feet Under territory, quality-wise, meaning in "best TV show ever" territory?

Or what about The Shield? What keeps me from getting that is that the guy on the cover looks like a complete donit.

Edited by UncleLou at 16:45:19 01-12-2005
  • DarmokJalad 1 Dec 2005 16:46:00 63,694 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Soprano's is brilliant, especially if watched back-to-back. You have my puty.

One good thing about watching Sopranos religously over a few weeks is that you start talking like them, thinking like them. It's wierd, I actally felt more cool and confortable with people for watching it. :)

Edited by Razz at 16:47:16 01-12-2005
  • bloke 1 Dec 2005 16:46:31 1,490 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Deadwood is fantastic.................
  • Deleted user 1 December 2005 16:47:09
    But it's got Lovejoy as the baddie! Lovejoy!!
  • Huntcjna 1 Dec 2005 16:47:24 13,890 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Deadwood is supurb

Also try veronica mars.
  • Scurrminator 1 Dec 2005 16:55:52 9,045 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Deadwood is good. missed on the tv, bought the boxset. no special faetures whatsoever though
  • GTBurns 1 Dec 2005 16:56:32 1,772 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Loved the Sopranos - HBO excelled themselves there!

Unfortunately I think perhaps the success went to their heads and they created shit like Deadwood! :( Not a fan. HBO have done some great things, I don't think this is one of them. However, if you like obscene language and violence (used for effect and not really in any discernible context) and can suspend your disbelief enough to believe that the early American West was anything like Deadwood's laughable depiction, then this might be your bag?!

I'm sure there's much worse fayre on Sky One/Two, FX, etc. I nearly watched 'Threshold' the other night until I realised it clashed with the 4400 (I know, it's shite but addictive!) However, flicking over during an ad break I soon realised I'd had a very lucky escape - 5 mins was enough to see that I had, in fact, missed nothing! :)
  • Huntcjna 1 Dec 2005 16:58:01 13,890 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Actually the most enjoyable show I have watched in the last couple of years besides sopranos/veronica/lost and nip tuck was another HBO original called Entourage.
  • MetalDog 1 Dec 2005 17:00:35 24,076 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Deadwood is pretty cool - lots of strong swearing, but if that doesn't bother you, go for it.

GTBurns, you'd be surprised how much people used to swear and a reasonable slice of Deadwood is based on historical fact - so while it's likely not a massively accurate view of the wild west, it comes a lot closer than most.
  • GingerMagician 1 Dec 2005 17:04:37 3,011 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Shield absolutely rocks. Vic Mackey (Michael Chiklis - the guy on the cover) is an anti-hero you'll come to love, just like Tony Soprano.

Buy Series 1, you won't regret it. I can guarentee you'll buy subsequent series.
  • GTBurns 1 Dec 2005 17:07:31 1,772 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I may have been a bit harsh. I watched, I think, the first three episodes of the first series and just didn't get in to it.

It just struck me that they were trying too hard to make something 'dark' but they were doing it with swearing and violence, as opposed to with clever plotlines or decent dialogue. It may have improved since then, if it has I've no doubt missed out! ;)

Btw, I'm by no means opposed to swearing and violence (within art that is), some of my fav films would probably be Goodfellas, The Godfather and Pulp Fiction. I just have to have a compelling tale to follow too and didn't get much of one when I watched Deadwood.

/isn't really opposed to swearing in life either

/wonders if thats life imitating art or the other way round

*aw -fuck it!*

/leaves

Edited by GTBurns at 17:11:42 01-12-2005
  • ssuellid 1 Dec 2005 17:08:50 19,141 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    First series of Deadwood was pretty good. The swearing was annoying purely because it was so limited in the selection of words- needed more imagination. Second series we gave up watching half way through.
  • Deleted user 1 December 2005 17:48:36
    UncleLou wrote:Or what about The Shield? What keeps me from getting that is that the guy on the cover looks like a complete donit.
    The Shield really is great, by far the best of the current crop of cop shows in my book. It's far more character-based rather than being a procedural like most of the others. Some of them will provoke an instant love/hate reaction whereas others toy with the whole moral dilemma thing a lot more, and there are some great story threads that span most of the various series.
  • Kostabi 1 Dec 2005 17:50:18 5,916 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The first season of Deadwood is great, the second season not so much.
  • ssuellid 1 Dec 2005 17:53:18 19,141 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Shield is excellent. The guy on the cover is very good - very well developed character for a TV show.
  • Whizzo 1 Dec 2005 18:01:09 44,793 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    For some reason I can't get on with Deadwood, even a sweary bastard like me found the level of bad language on it rather over the top and not a little false.

The Shield is the best cop show on TV, I've been raving on here about it since it started.

Vic Mackey is a fantastic character but so is the whole supporting cast, no-one, other than Vic, can really hate Dutch can they? :-)

And get the new Battlestar Galactica too.

Edited by Whizzo at 18:02:46 01-12-2005
  • Flightrisker 1 Dec 2005 18:01:27 18,139 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    American TV Show Recommendations

Buffy (You either love it or hate it)
    Angel (See above out probably more accessible)
    Firelfy (The most accessible of the Whedon shows, but 14 episodes long)
    Nip/Tuck (Odd show but very enjoyable. Do Not watch with family members!)
    Alias (2 season of brilliant spy drama. Then it ended.there was no season 3 and 4...there was no season 3 and 4.... re: 3 and 4 were shit)
    Lost (The reason Alias went shit, JJ had bigger fish and polar bears to fry. Compelling, briliant, weird, frustraing, genius.)
    24 (Season 1 and 3 - Brilliant! 2 was good. 4 was ....... well it tried..)
    X-Files (an old but a goodie. Just stop watching once season 3 ends.)
    Millenium (not for everyone but I liked it!)
  • pjmaybe 1 Dec 2005 18:02:23 70,666 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Deadwood's ace but I kept getting this undying urge to go and buy a Queen Anne chest after every episode.

Whizzo = Sweariest forumite by a LONG way :)

Peej
  • Whizzo 1 Dec 2005 18:03:13 44,793 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fuck off you bald twat!
  • Kostabi 1 Dec 2005 18:13:19 5,916 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:

Alias (2 season of brilliant spy drama. Then it ended.there was no season 3 and 4...there was no season 3 and 4.... re: 3 and 4 were shit)

Nooo, Season 3 was great. Maybe not as superb as the first and second but it had Mr. Sark - the best Alias villain by a country mile.

Season 4 is just shite, though.

Edited by Kostabi at 18:13:47 01-12-2005
  • pjmaybe 1 Dec 2005 18:13:21 70,666 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Fuck off you bald twat!

:)

Peej
  • matrim83 26 May 2007 19:08:54 5,696 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Four episodes in and I love it to bits. Its the kinda wild west that I love to see, reminded me of Unforgiven (which I also loved). Anyway the acting so far is superb from all the principal characters involved (Bullock seems a bit deadpan so far, but I think that's in keeping with the character) but Ian McShane steals the show.

Without going into too many spoilers are season two and three as good as one or do they go downhill like with so many shows?
  • urban 26 May 2007 19:10:21 13,072 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    yes deadwood is bitchin.
  • Deleted user 26 May 2007 19:11:50
    COCKSUCKERS
  • Deleted user 26 May 2007 19:20:39
    Deadwood is okay - very different to modern drama as no tech geekery of course. I liked what I saw but sadly found it failed to really grab me. Perhaps I really needed that modern tech geekery after all!

Veronica Mars on the other hand is frothy sub-Buffy-lite US-teen-detective crap (basing my opinion on the first episode I watched).
  • marilena 26 May 2007 19:32:37 8,237 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I quite liked Deadwood, but since I was actually watching it on TV I never got to watch it consistently and haven't seen the later seasons.

Another HBO series that I would recommend is Big Love, a show about a polygamist and his wives. As with all HBO series, it's really well written and has a great cast of characters.
  • TwistidChimp 26 May 2007 19:35:34 8,825 posts
    Seen 12 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ajay wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:Or what about The Shield? What keeps me from getting that is that the guy on the cover looks like a complete donit.
    The Shield really is great, by far the best of the current crop of cop shows in my book. It's far more character-based rather than being a procedural like most of the others. Some of them will provoke an instant love/hate reaction whereas others toy with the whole moral dilemma thing a lot more, and there are some great story threads that span most of the various series.

I second the Shield. Absolutley top stuff. I've also heard great things about The Wire, so you might want to check that out.
  • T.G. 26 May 2007 19:48:10 5,989 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't know what my opinion's worth to you Lou, but I really rate this show. Seriously quality. Not sure whether you'll be able for the English not being a native speaker (although obviously your English is AAA and better than Halo etc.). It's fucking difficult to understand.
  • Deleted user 26 May 2007 20:10:45
    Deadwood = Yuss. Alan Swear-engine for the cock-sucking win. The dialogue is pure fucking poetry.

And another vote each for Veronica Mars, The Shield, Millenium and The Wire, and a new vote for the super-excellent Dead Like Me.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.