Following Documentary recommendations Page 19

• Vortex808 17 Apr 2018 12:18:20 13,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just in case anyone's interested, the Ken Burns Vietnam doc has started on PBS America on freeview/sky.

I watched it on BBC4 last year(?), but that was apparently edited down to an hour an ep, this is the full 2hrs/episode documentary.
  • JamesUK 18 Apr 2018 00:35:18 786 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I missed that on BBC4. I heard it's very good but by the time I became aware of it there was only a couple of days left on the final episode on iPlayer. I've just checked and PBS is also on Freesat (ch155).
  • Frogofdoom 18 Apr 2018 06:41:16 13,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Another recommendation for wild wild country on Netflix. Crazy stuff.
  • Vortex808 18 Apr 2018 22:55:18 13,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JamesUK wrote:
    I missed that on BBC4. I heard it's very good but by the time I became aware of it there was only a couple of days left on the final episode on iPlayer. I've just checked and PBS is also on Freesat (ch155).
    I'm watching ep2 of 10 now.

It's a great series and still really interesting on second viewing the additional stuff is well worth it.
  • DUFFMAN5 2 Aug 2018 16:33:03 24,551 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rip it up

BBCiplayer, 3 part series looking at the history of pop music in Scotland.

It is excellent.

The opening track is the sublime Theme from great cities (the Bass alone is worth admittance) by the mighty Minds

The eighties with Dominic Sandbrook

Dominic Sandbrook takes a fresh look at a dynamic decade. I have seen it before but just love and miss the 80's so much I will rewatch. If you are someone born after the wonderful decade, enjoy. We had it bestest ;) *

* well I did growing up, not sure about mum and dad, living with Thatch!

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 16:37:44 02-08-2018
  • Vortex808 2 Aug 2018 16:44:30 13,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Glad you found out about Rip it up, Duff, I almost messaged you about it since it was BBC Scotland only.

Edited by Vortex808 at 16:44:40 02-08-2018
  • DUFFMAN5 2 Aug 2018 16:51:54 24,551 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Vortex808
    Cheers mate, excellent. You have some great bands mate ;)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Aug 2018 20:24:40 10,273 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    BBC iPlayer - Inside Story: Mini

Documentary from the mid-70s about a boy in County Durham who is a serial arsonist. It's really bleak and makes the 70s feel probably more like another country than anything else I've seen.
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Aug 2018 19:50:46 24,551 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe
    I watched that and the 2 follow ups (YT, one is very short though) I thought he had a lot about him, good for him. Dad was scum. Could not believe how the social services seemed not to care that he punched his kids!!!!

The smoking in the cafe with Mini is what got me. Amazing.

Also Inside Story, Blighty in Belize is very good. The BA in residence in the 70's. Nothing to do but there is a brothel, that the Army physician keeps an eye on.
  • effinjamie 9 Aug 2018 23:21:08 992 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    New Horizon about Jupiter narration by Toby Jones on iPlayer
  • Mola_Ram 29 Aug 2018 09:25:27 20,142 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've just started on the mammoth Vietnam war doco. It is rather good.

I especially like the Trent Reznor music, really suits the mood of the thing. Though it did get a bit distracting in one episode where they literally started playing a Nine Inch Nails song, and I started singing the words in my head and ignoring the doco footage.
  • DUFFMAN5 23 Sep 2018 15:56:13 24,551 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We are Twisted fucking Sisteron Netflix

Great documentary about the band with all the usual archive footage and talking head bits in these sort of docs. No lover of the band but fair to say they "paid their dues"

Well worth a watch.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Sep 2018 17:36:43 10,273 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Mighty Redcar

If you need a good cry and you want to know what it's like round the places like what where I live you've got to watch this.

Currently airing on BBC2 with three episodes on iPlayer already.
  • Drakesmoke 24 Sep 2018 08:30:57 556 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

There are some good music docs on Netflix. I was really impressed by 'Crossfire Hurricane' on The Stones.
  • DUFFMAN5 24 Sep 2018 11:32:47 24,551 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Drakesmoke
    Cheers for that, I have seen a few. Love music documentaries, even if I'm no lover of the band being er documented ;)
  • b-rk 24 Sep 2018 11:35:13 927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:

Great documentary about the band with all the usual archive footage and talking head bits in these sort of docs. No lover of the band but fair to say they "paid their dues"

Well worth a watch.
    Iíll check this out! I hardly use Netflix these days so itíll be nice getting something for my £7.99.
  • Fab4 24 Sep 2018 12:34:24 8,824 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:

Well worth a watch.
    The Anvil documentary is also very good.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Sep 2018 13:01:25 10,273 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If you're into metal documentaries then Mission To Lars is as beautiful as they come.

It's the story of a disabled (extreme Autism) Metallica fan and his love of Lara Ulrich and his relationship with his brother and sister as they take him on a Metallica inspired road trip.
  • DUFFMAN5 24 Sep 2018 13:08:11 24,551 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    If you're into metal documentaries then Mission To Lars is as beautiful as they come.

It's the story of a disabled (extreme Autism) Metallica fan and his love of Lara Ulrich and his relationship with his brother and sister as they take him on a Metallica inspired road trip.
    That sounds interesting, I will hunt it down. Cheers
  • Drakesmoke 24 Sep 2018 13:11:33 556 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

No probs. 'Hurricane' was actually quite emotional on the Brian Jones and Altamont sections.

Can't tell from your comment whether you are a fan or not but there is a specifically Keith Richards one that whilst not essential is a nice easy watch.

For metal documentaries you can't beat the 'Headbanger's Journey' ones. I think they are only viewable on Youtube at the moment, probably somewhere on the Banger TV channel.
  • DUFFMAN5 24 Sep 2018 13:16:27 24,551 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Drakesmoke
    I am indeed a fan of the Stones. specifically the 60's Blues Stones and 70's Stoned, Stones phase.
    Sticky Fingers and Exile are works of art.

I'm happy with any genre of music documentaries. I love music and watching programs around it.
    Did you catch the 3 part series "Rip it up" on BBC iplayer a couple of months back ? Excellent, telling the story of Scottish music from the 1950's until now.
  • DUFFMAN5 7 Nov 2018 06:59:48 24,551 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just in case you don't go in the Netflix thread!

I am your father

From Wiki, and on point.
    David Prowse is a bodybuilder and actor who famously portrayed the role of Darth Vader in Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. Unlike most of the other Star Wars stars, however, he is relatively obscure, since James Earl Jones dubbed Vader's voice and Sebastian Shaw portrayed an unmasked Vader (in Return of the Jedi). Prowse lives anonymously in Croydon, a suburb of London.

The story begins when a young filmmaker travels to London to propose that Prowse reshoot scenes from the trilogy, to prove that Prowse could have played Darth Vader in that particular scene. In a symbolic way, the directors, assisted by a group of enthusiastic fans, will try to give Prowse the recognition he never had.

In this documentary, the directors find some clues about the difficult relationship between Prowse and Lucasfilm, suggesting that the reason for their differences was an article published by a British newspaper during the shooting of Return of the Jedi.

I enjoyed it, does appear that DP has not had the respect he should from all at Lucasfilms. I mean you would be a little miffed if you had played the part for years.

Ronnie Coleman "The King"
    Another doc on Netflix
    If you have any interest in Bodybuilding, specifically from early 80's you will know that Coleman was 8 times Mr Olympia, joint most wins with Lee Haney. He was also a serving Policeman during some of those victories.

From IMDB:

Ronnie Coleman is known as "The King" and for good reason. He is the 8x Mr. Olympia champion in the world of bodybuilding - sharing the world record for most Olympia wins. Now retired, he has undergone over 6 surgeries leaving him unable to walk without crutches but his desire to train like a pro bodybuilder has not dissipated. Exploring the history of his career as a bodybuilding legend and following his journey to recovery; for the first time ever discover the true man behind The King.
  • Syrette 11 Nov 2018 22:09:25 50,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Take it you're all watching They Shall Not Grow Old?
  • askew 11 Nov 2018 22:19:30 19,119 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yup. It's fascinating, both from a historical and technical viewpoint. I do enjoy all the dodgy teeth and smiles :D
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Dec 2018 06:27:56 24,551 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bobby Robson More than a manager Netflix.
    Brilliant tribute to a brilliant man. I loved Bobby and they way he handled himself, even when NCFC lost any respect and "second team" love I had for them, when they sacked him.
    Everyone of us, of A certain age will remember 86,90 WC and just how unlucky we were.
    A very emotional documentary covering his entire (brilliant)career, not in a linear way but going back and forth. Some lovely tributes from ex players, fellow mangers. Even JM says a lovely sentiment about death and legacy.
    I was bleary eyed for most of the run but that was not just sadness, but also with joy and pride in the man.
    Beautiful
    10/10

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 06:28:29 08-12-2018
  • RawShark 14 Dec 2018 15:18:13 579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Art of Drumming on Sky Arts was some toe-tapping good stuff.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Jan 2019 10:20:58 10,273 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bros: When The Screaming Stops

BBC iPlayer

Bros reform for a one off show almost 30 years after breaking up and falling out with each other.

Part Anvil: The Story of Anvil part David Brent level wisdom sharing.

Must see.
  • Jono62 7 Jan 2019 16:18:46 22,259 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The R Kelly doc is worth watching. He's proper mental.
  • Dougs 7 Jan 2019 16:38:03 89,259 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Bros: When The Screaming Stops

BBC iPlayer

Bros reform for a one off show almost 30 years after breaking up and falling out with each other.

Part Anvil: The Story of Anvil part David Brent level wisdom sharing.

Must see.
    This was so good. Proper parody stuff but actually real. Highly recommended.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.