Following Documentary recommendations Page 21

• challenge_hanukkah 9 Jan 2019 12:24:38 10,005 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was surprised that the Australian dude was still a believer at the end. He seemed pretty critical of Koresh, but then went on to say something about him be resurrected at some point.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Jan 2019 12:28:21 9,479 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wonder for how many of them that maintaining belief is the only way they can stay sane with the knowledge of what happened in that fire

(Also, fuck that jarhead who was positively gleeful about going all gung ho and no mercy in the raid)
  • cowell 18 Jan 2019 11:57:35 1,782 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Netflix just dropped a documentary on that disastrous Fyre musical festival. Looks like car crash gold

About two thirds through. It is car crash gold

Edited by cowell at 19:20:08 18-01-2019
  • challenge_hanukkah 18 Jan 2019 12:16:44 10,005 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    (Also, fuck that jarhead who was positively gleeful about going all gung ho and no mercy in the raid)
    Yeah, he was a massive cunt. Fucking sociopath completely incapable of masking his glee at the whole thing.
  • Lotos8ter 18 Jan 2019 21:04:49 2,715 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cowell wrote:
    Netflix just dropped a documentary on that disastrous Fyre musical festival. Looks like car crash gold

Just finished watching it - its very, very good.

Its easy enough to laugh at those caught up in this clusterfuck but the docu soon starts to show the human cost - especially local people left unpaid & those who parted with their money to attend. They were sold a lie, exploited and generally shat on by a fraudster.
    It raises some interesting questions about social media, influencers, advertising and debt to your fellow man/woman.

Its really well done - fascinating
  • challenge_hanukkah 18 Jan 2019 21:13:18 10,005 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    £4000 to see Blink 182...
  • cowell 18 Jan 2019 21:31:13 1,782 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Only thing that takes the edge off for me was the polished nature of the behind the scenes footage. Strange they would have so much of that. From a bit of googling it seems that Jerry Media are somehow involved in the production of the doc, even though theyíre in the midst of the story. Seems a bit off.

Looks like thereís another FYRE doc on Hulu US that has come out more or less at the same time.
  • Lotos8ter 18 Jan 2019 21:42:39 2,715 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Interesting - not sure if I can get Hulu.

Jerry Media are probably trying to patch up the damage to their reputation and spin it in their own favour. They seemed quite shrewd and obv realised it was going tits up during the final few weeks, so took their own footage...

Edit - I see what you mean. Yeah, there's definitely more to this but I need to see the other documentary too.

Edited by Lotos8ter at 21:50:33 18-01-2019
  • cowell 18 Jan 2019 21:52:26 1,782 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still a fascinating watch all the same
  • Fab4 19 Jan 2019 14:12:14 8,797 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Been watching the 'Guitar, Drum and Bass' series on BBC. First was 'On Drums...Stewart Copeland', and then 'On Bass...Tina Weymouth', and will finish next week with 'On Guitar...Lenny Kaye'.

Not really a history of the instruments, or a list of best players (although it does have elements of both)...more about how they contribute to the overall result.

P.s. They should give Tina Weymouth her own show. She is entirely personable.
  • the-cozen-show 19 Jan 2019 14:52:07 664 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    EVIAN

I'm going to re-watch "american movie" (by the same guy who directed the netflix fyre doc) - it is all time
  • Vortex808 19 Jan 2019 16:06:17 13,070 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That bros thing was hilarious, so thanks to those here that were recommending it.

Worryingly, my wife missed so many of the spinal tap-isms taking them at face value. 😃
  • DUFFMAN5 19 Jan 2019 16:41:43 24,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Vortex808
    ;) Need to sort that mate, maybe she needs to go to Bitch school...with all the respect I can give you ;)
  • freddymercurystwin 21 Jan 2019 11:06:47 1,605 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lotos8ter wrote:
    cowell wrote:

Just finished watching it - its very, very good.

Its easy enough to laugh at those caught up in this clusterfuck but the docu soon starts to show the human cost - especially local people left unpaid & those who parted with their money to attend. They were sold a lie, exploited and generally shat on by a fraudster.
    It raises some interesting questions about social media, influencers, advertising and debt to your fellow man/woman.

Its really well done - fascinating
    We caught this over the weekend, thought it was pretty poorly made TBH, seemed to jump all over the place and could have done with a narrator and painted many of the organizers as innocent tag alongs when actually they seemed just as dishonourable as McFarland. It was clear that a few contractors along the way had seen through the lies and had backed out. Canít say as I had any sympathy for any of the attendees either, stupid twats with more money than sense. At least the restaurant owner has been reimbursed, albeit via crowdfunding.
  • Jono62 21 Jan 2019 11:10:48 21,854 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    That bros thing was hilarious, so thanks to those here that were recommending it.

Worryingly, my wife missed so many of the spinal tap-isms taking them at face value. 😃
    It was great. Watched it this weekend. Matt Goss is the Messiah.
  • mothercruncher 21 Jan 2019 16:28:05 15,939 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Caught up n the Bros thing. Amazing. Fave quote was the Rome one. I will think of that on my death bed and still have a little chuckle.
    Matt Goss is a man who literally has no idea where a sentence is going even when heís more than half way through it.
  • RichDC 23 Jan 2019 21:21:43 8,153 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Free Solo

An amazing film about the first free climb of El Capitan a couple of years ago. Watched in the cinema, it was stunning, tense and terrifying! The guy is utterly mental.

He's also autistic, and a fair chunk of the film is given to the relationship between him and his partner, and how he clearly has absolutely no concept of how the danger he puts himself in affects her. There's a lot of laughter between them, but it's quite sad.

Anyway, definitely one to watch!

Edited by RichDC at 21:22:41 23-01-2019
  • Blakester 29 Jan 2019 10:00:47 4,674 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finally got around to watching Sunderland til I Die.

Maybe it's my current mood but I found this fascinating yet crushingly bleak. I felt real empathy with the suffering yet delusional fans and worried for the staff who are so far removed from the millionaire players, managers and execs they serve.

I have to give credit to the club for allowing access to the film crew. No doubt they were regretting that decision every second they started their inevitable slide into relegation.

You know it's a good documentary when Mrs. Blakester is desperate to see the next episode and has no interest in football, let alone Sunderland.
  • cowell 28 Feb 2019 09:17:29 1,782 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just watched Behind the Curve, the doc about flat earthers. Definitely ticks some of the same boxes as watching the crazies in Scientology documentaries for me. However Iíd say itís more than just a hit piece on conspiracy theorists. Felt like a fair look at a sub culture that is gaining ground thanks to YouTube.

Edited by cowell at 09:20:16 28-02-2019
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 28 Feb 2019 09:21:11 18,562 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Where'd you watch that?
  • challenge_hanukkah 28 Feb 2019 09:23:54 10,005 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've been meaning to pirate that.
  • Jono62 28 Feb 2019 09:26:09 21,854 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Where'd you watch that?
    It's on Netflix.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 28 Feb 2019 09:27:06 18,562 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cool thanks. Love that oddball shit.
  • Deleted user 28 February 2019 10:31:02
    It's a good documentary. There are a few funny moments, like when they go to a NASA museum and he's complaining one of the exhibits doesn't work after repeatedly pressing the screen, but it's quite sympathetic. Some of the flat earthers conduct pretty detailed experiments to prove the earth is flat but dismiss the results when things don't go the way they hoped.
  • cowell 28 Feb 2019 10:58:17 1,782 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah sympathetic is the word. It's easy to laugh at these people but the documentary humanised them far beyond any lunatic YouTube video. Although it did show there are tiers of crazy and paranoid across the different Flat Earth subset groups
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 28 Feb 2019 11:07:43 9,479 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sink or Skim

BBC Scotland on iPlayer now. It's about the sport of stone skimming. It's really lovely and only half an hour long.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Feb 2019 15:10:41 24,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    100 Vaginas (4OD)

Very interesting (sometimes upsetting) and extremely graphic doc about women and their Lady Gardens, they come in all shapes and sizes...who knew! ;)
    "Free bleeding" is also a thing.

The Making of me (4OD)

Following several people as they transition into their new self/life. Again very interesting.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 1 Mar 2019 22:35:51 18,562 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Struggling to get through Behind the Curve. It's making me really quite angry.

Edited by Decks at 22:36:06 01-03-2019
  • Tomo 1 Mar 2019 22:57:08 16,440 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I was late to it, but Louis Theroux's latest series Altered States is on iPlayer at the moment. Blitzed through them last weekend. All great, but the second one on terminally ill people who order help to end their life was particularly superb. Tough to watch, but very, very good.
  • JoelStinty 2 Mar 2019 01:45:56 7,457 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just a heads up, Free Solo is on National Geographic on Sky on this Sunday and Monday evening

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.