Documentary recommendations Page 24

• thelzdking 28 Mar 2020 21:34:27 10,219 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Currently enjoying the HBO McMillions documentary.
  • Saul_Iscariot 17 Apr 2020 19:51:45 3,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Watched a few documentaries last night. Started with Gascoigne on Netflix. As genuinely moving telling of Gaza’s life and career. It doesn’t shy away from the darker aspects of his life, but it doesn’t dwell on or trivialise them either. There are some unsettling moments, and I can close to letting a few tears flow.

But this was balanced by some laugh out loud moments. And seeing the highlights of his football career just reminds you of how talented he was. The contributions from those close to him show g tv hat people really did care for him.

This led me onto watching Bobby Robson:More than a manager. Much like the above, a very heart warming tale from people that worked with Robson at all levels of the game. And I was surprised at just how many people he had worked with and mentored in the game. There are some people I often thought of as arseholes that showed a real love and understanding of Sir Bobby that it changed my perspective of them.

I grew up in a time when the press had turned on him, so it was nice to get a bit of the behind the scenes stuff that showed what a true, hard working gentleman that he was.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 17 Apr 2020 20:07:45 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Saul_Iscariot Mou talking about Robson always brings a lump in the throat moment. The loss he feels doesn’t appear to have diminished at all.
  • Saul_Iscariot 17 Apr 2020 21:50:40 3,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was quite surprising how loved he came across in it. And your right, Mourinho’s [SP?!] affection is palpable. It was a real eye opener to me. Like I said, I grew up when the UK press savaged him, and didn’t really pay attention to European football. And as a Mackem never liked him when he was at Newcastle. But looking back now, you can see what a great manager he was, and a really sound bloke to.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 17 Apr 2020 22:29:28 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That final appearance at the England Germany tribute match the week he died. Fuck. One of the all time sporting big cries.
  • fontgeeksogood 17 Apr 2020 22:59:29 10,901 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I met him, twice. He was genuinely a lovely, lovely gentleman, he called me by the wrong name and it meant the world to me, he was bad with names by all account and it was endearing. Of course it helps that he's a legend for the team I support but I think I'd have felt the same anyway even though I'd never have met him if he hadn't been.

I've had a bit of a sweaty eye just thinking about him even now. There's two famous people for whom I cried when I heard they died, the other was Bowie
  • Decks 17 Apr 2020 23:21:19 26,874 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My dad used to have a box at St James when I was younger and we got into a lift with him after the game one day. My dad asked him how he thought the game went and he recited word for word what we'd just heard on the post march interview. Very kind face and smelt faintly of piss.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Apr 2020 00:10:32 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    I met him, twice. He was genuinely a lovely, lovely gentleman, he called me by the wrong name and it meant the world to me ...
    Carl Cort?
  • challenge_hanukkah 18 Apr 2020 00:11:33 13,172 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    John Shuttleworth.
  • DUFFMAN5 18 Apr 2020 07:00:22 26,218 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Re the footy docs, the Bobby Robinson one is class just as the man was total class... I cried.

Actually watching at this very moment the Diego Maradona doc/film on 4od. Just got to 86WC final, brilliant doc so far.
  • Dougs 18 Apr 2020 07:14:14 96,030 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    I met him, twice. He was genuinely a lovely, lovely gentleman, he called me by the wrong name and it meant the world to me, he was bad with names by all account and it was endearing. Of course it helps that he's a legend for the team I support but I think I'd have felt the same anyway even though I'd never have met him if he hadn't been.

I've had a bit of a sweaty eye just thinking about him even now. There's two famous people for whom I cried when I heard they died, the other was Bowie
    Love the story of him wandering around duty free at the airport, moving the players on before asking 'Where's Reidy'? Bryan Robson had to point out that he hasn't chosen him for this squad.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Apr 2020 07:50:39 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Despite being a Geordie I’d still say the first season of Sunderland Till I Die is the best football documentary in terms of capturing the feel of football

Although I do love how meditative the Zidane movie was
  • DUFFMAN5 18 Apr 2020 08:32:08 26,218 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Diego Maradona (4od)

Brilliant doc about his life, mainly up until the 1990 world Cup when Argentina knocked out Italy in the WC and from there it turned to shite.

Loads of archive footage and narration by all the main players.

Totally recommended, I'm sure many of us on here were watching the wc in 1986...it still hurts, however we would have done it and his second goal...
  • neilka 25 Apr 2020 13:18:56 23,597 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    CBS has a 10 episode adaptation of The Stand ready to go
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stand_(upcoming_miniseries)

Edited by neilka at 13:20:51 25-04-2020
  • Mola_Ram 25 Apr 2020 13:23:00 24,598 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I knew that production was finished, but thought they were delaying the release. So it's actually coming out?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Apr 2020 14:04:54 14,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Great Sheep Gather on iplayer is a beautiful bit of slow isolated countryside to escape too
  • Saul_Iscariot 25 Apr 2020 23:28:55 3,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Beastie Boys Story - Apple TV - As a fan of these from way back in the day. From a time when LL Cool J and Run DMC were my gods through to the end of the band, this was a great show. Really insightful into their early days and how they matured as artists. Though they didn’t shirk away from the times that they reverted to type. It is a fascinating look at the band, and their enduring sense of camaraderie.
  • cowell 26 Apr 2020 09:42:12 2,205 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That’s definitely of interest to me. May have to shell out.

Edit. Or take the 7 day trial...

Edited by cowell at 09:42:58 26-04-2020
  • Vortex808 26 Apr 2020 11:48:04 14,113 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is that an apple exclusive or will it hit other streaming apps eventually?

I love a bit of the beasties
  • Saul_Iscariot 26 Apr 2020 12:09:36 3,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it is an Apple exclusive.
  • Vortex808 26 Apr 2020 12:55:09 14,113 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Had a look and i can't find it.

Boo. Hope it gets a more general release at some point.
  • Fab4 28 Apr 2020 18:45:17 8,924 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Never Surrender. It's a documentary on the movie Galaxy Quest, up on Amazon Prime.
  • challenge_hanukkah 28 Apr 2020 18:54:24 13,172 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Fab4

This was pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/TFW-No-Alex-Lee-Moyer/dp/B087N4632Q
  • AboutHalfaStevas 28 Apr 2020 19:05:34 2,765 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I quite liked Galaxy Quest, but why a documentary about it? I don't recall there being much shenanigans during filming or anything?

Also, that gazza one is great. 11 fucking years those cunts had his phone hacked. Fucking scum.
  • Dr-Strangelove 29 Apr 2020 09:01:36 2,288 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    re: Never Surrender...

Best of all, the documentary celebrates the culture of fandom—specifically the positive, uplifting aspects, rather than the toxic cesspool of entitlement that online fandom can sometimes be today.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/11/never-surrender-celebrates-25-years-of-galaxy-quests-comic-perfection/

Read it and weep.
  • Mola_Ram 29 Apr 2020 12:49:02 24,598 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For the two other people on here who liked Darkest Dungeon... here is a great little documentary about Darkest Dungeon!

https://youtu.be/thQvE6XEmis

(yes they interview the Narrator)

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:05:14 29-04-2020
  • Saul_Iscariot 29 Apr 2020 22:24:01 3,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Man, that Never Surrender documentary is something else. I need too watch the film tomorrow, or tonight depending on if I am awake enough.
  • Saul_Iscariot 30 Apr 2020 13:48:55 3,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Couldn’t sleep last night, ended up watching a load of documentaries on Prime. They were all comic book related, the history of Image Comics, Chris Claremont’s X-Men, one on Grant Morrison, and the last on the 90’s Fantastic Four film. All were really interesting as a largely lapsed comic book reader. Nowadays I only follow the Marvel Star Wars comics. But these made me want to pick up a pencil, some paints and inks and have a crack at drawing something.

In themselves they were all very interesting, especially the Claremont one. I was a massive X-Men fan back in the day. But when Marvel got so obsessed with their annual cross over events I started to lose interest. Their choice to sacrifice stories for sales really killed the love that I had. To find out that this was what ultimately led to Claremont moving one made me very nostalgic.
  • DJCopa 30 Apr 2020 15:53:38 2,391 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Saul_Iscariot Be interested in the Grant Morisson one.

Loved listening to Frankie Boyle chat with him, on the Radio4 show Chain Reaction. Mad fucker!
  • Saul_Iscariot 30 Apr 2020 15:55:47 3,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Morrison one is a fantastic insight. Nothing seemed to be off limits.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.