Documentary recommendations Page 25

• DJCopa 30 Apr 2020 15:58:53 2,391 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Saul_Iscariot I can imagine :)

I was never that much into the Sci-Fi side of comics growing up, but he changed that for me.

Have you read the DC 52 run, with the creators doing a written blog about the process? What they say (or don't say) about Morrison is brilliant - aloof is putting it mildly!

edit - realised I'm derailing...soz all :)

Edited by DJCopa at 16:02:19 30-04-2020
  • Saul_Iscariot 30 Apr 2020 16:25:04 3,869 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I havenít read that, I stopped reading most comics in the late Nineties. In the documentary Morrison talks about his creative process when writing a comic. I found it interesting as it was similar to how I approached painting when I studied Fine Art. For me, it got to the point where I was more interested in the process than the finished work.
  • DJCopa 30 Apr 2020 16:39:36 2,391 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Saul_Iscariot I saw this guy talk at a Comic Con I went to last year (mates into more than me now, I go for a weekend of beer!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Maleev

A really interesting chap from Bulgaria, his background is all Fine Art.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 May 2020 10:37:42 26,218 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Maradona in Mexico (Netflix) or Mara-donnar as his name is constantly mispronounced
    Great doc filmed during 2018/19 Mexican season.

In this docuseries, soccer great Diego Maradona comes to CuliacŠn, the heart of the Sinaloa Cartel, to save the local team, the Dorados, and maybe himself, too. Starring: Diego Armando Maradona.

Very good watch, he looks totally fucked but managed a certain level of success. When the team losses everyone including Maradona and the president are looking for a fight with fans,press etc!

I'm truth the real stars of the show are the Voice Over translators, think Toast and Ray "bloody" Purchase and you are in the right place.
  • Gruff 3 May 2020 11:53:03 3,686 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Found this Escapist Darkest Dungeon doc to be riveting.

Never really got on with the game myself, roguelike don't agree with me,but loved this
  • Mola_Ram 3 May 2020 12:01:02 24,598 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I linked to the Darkest Dungeon doco on the last page. It was a great watch.
  • Gruff 3 May 2020 13:11:27 3,686 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Oops, Sry, should be linked on every new page anyway, so good :)
  • AboutHalfaStevas 3 May 2020 15:09:52 2,765 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Okay, I take it back. I was wrong.

The world absolutely fucking needed a documentary about Galaxy Quest.
  • Mola_Ram 4 May 2020 07:56:41 24,598 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just finished watching the doco about Heaven's Gate that someone linked to in the film thread. It's really good!

I don't think watching the movie it's about is necessary (though it'd probably be helpful). The documentary is more about the era when directors were given complete control over their movies, and the eventual conflicts between the "artists" and the people paying their bills. It's a throwback to a really different time!
  • RawShark 4 May 2020 11:18:44 1,316 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Iím enjoying the Dark Side of the Ring series on Vice. With all the pageantry and spandex itís very easy to forget pro wrestling is a cold, hard business that eats people up and too often spits them out. Itís the human equivalent of greyhound racing.

Not sure if itís around still, but also worth searching out The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley. Itís about the Theranos fraud that saw a 19 year old woman found a blood testing company, take it to a $10 billion valuation, and then see it drop to nothing when all her claims of a revolutionary new testing system were found to be false. I found it fascinating. And scary.
  • RawShark 4 May 2020 13:00:51 1,316 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @HookJaw not that I remember. She was one of those people who never blinked.
  • challenge_hanukkah 4 May 2020 13:59:18 13,172 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One of the lizard-people, clearly.
  • anephric 4 May 2020 14:47:58 4,419 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Toldya it was good.

Anyone with more than a passing interest has probably read the book, but the documentary version of Easy Riders, Raging Bulls covers some of the same ground.

https://youtu.be/i0jsxeXXtBk

Although I enjoy Peter Biskind's bitchy Vanity Fair style of journalism/muck raking, there are a lot of people who take issue with ERRB, particularly the method in which Biskind got people to give him the juicy sleaze he wanted (ie by straight-up lying to them).

If you would prefer a more traditional doc of the same period, Ted Demme's A Decade Under the Influence is great, just without the hookers and coke.

https://youtu.be/2x2ahr5TJ1U

Edited by anephric at 14:49:04 04-05-2020
  • Mola_Ram 4 May 2020 14:59:22 24,598 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If I had any criticism about the documentary, it's that I think it let Cimino off a bit too lightly. The guy was making something with someone else's money, being paid to do a job, and he didn't deliver what he promised.

Tbf they probably shouldn't have hired someone like that in the first place.
  • anephric 4 May 2020 15:27:04 4,419 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They knew what they were getting into, he'd done the same on The Deer Hunter (to a lesser extent) they were just Oscar hungry.

To be fair, the whole ethos of United Artists was to give creative freedom. They just couldn't handle someone like Cimino. The way he operated wasn't unprecedented, as mentioned in Final Cut - there had been plenty of directors who got carried away with their own power - Kubrick did much the same on 2001 and nearly bankrupted MGM. But we speak of Kubrick in hushed tones of reverence and of Cimino largely as a cautionary punchline of excess.
  • anephric 4 May 2020 15:29:51 4,419 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And again, to be fair to Cimino, he WAS delivering what he promised and then some - he was just taking huge amounts of time and money to do so.

It's not like he was doing a Bryan Singer, fucking off for two weeks to screw twinks in Hawaii and letting an AD shoot the film, Cimino was involved in every aspect of the film.
  • Mola_Ram 4 May 2020 15:37:26 24,598 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    And again, to be fair to Cimino, he WAS delivering what he promised and then some - he was just taking huge amounts of time and money to do so.

It's not like he was doing a Bryan Singer, fucking off for two weeks to screw twinks in Hawaii and letting an AD shoot the film, Cimino was involved in every aspect of the film.
    Well, I think sticking to your timeframe/budget is part of the promise, and he did not do that until he was forced to.

But yeah, he's not alone in being a bit full of himself and a perfectionist. Him and Kubrick (moreso Kubrick) are like the Steve Jobses of filmmaking. If Kubrick had tortured Shelley Duvall like that in 2020, he'd never get away with it. No matter how good his films are.
  • anephric 4 May 2020 15:45:08 4,419 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The joke of it is, in adjusted dollars, no one would bat a fucking eyelid now if Cimino was spending $100 million. Even if you could claim it was too offbeat and arty for that kind of budget, this was the 70s and "mainstream" for the time.

Netflix dropped $160 million on The Irishman, which is about one sixteenth as impressive a bit of filmmaking as Heavens Gate, and about as mainstream.

Edited by anephric at 15:45:41 04-05-2020
  • anephric 4 May 2020 15:49:38 4,419 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:If Kubrick had tortured Shelley Duvall like that in 2020, he'd never get away with it. No matter how good his films are.
    I dunno, people keep employing David O Russell.

https://youtu.be/7SG43wa7Alo
  • X201 7 May 2020 16:28:35 20,767 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Double Agent: The Eddie Chapman Story

This was brilliant last night, just when you think his story can't get any more bonkers, it does.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017ctqp/timewatch-double-agent-the-eddie-chapman-story
  • Saul_Iscariot 8 May 2020 11:24:22 3,869 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Greg Davies : In search of Kes. - BBC/Iplayer

Greg Davies talks about his love of the book and film, A Kestrel for a Knave and Kes, respectively. It featured interviews with Ken Loach, numerous celebs and locals where the book is set. It is a real love story to the book and film, and well worth a watch.

9/10
  • AboutHalfaStevas 8 May 2020 20:43:17 2,765 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    X201 wrote:

This was brilliant last night, just when you think his story can't get any more bonkers, it does.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017ctqp/timewatch-double-agent-the-eddie-chapman-story
    I already knew most of this, but it's been a while since I read about him, and the refresher was certainly entertaining. Was also great to actually see interviews with him.
    They don't make em like him any more.

I also loved the way the line was delivered that the express had no problems just plain lying (as opposed to the times claiming it never would).
  • X201 11 May 2020 16:32:30 20,767 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    X201 wrote:

Heads up.
    The sister programme to this, Operation Mincemeat, is on BBC 4 tonight at 9:00

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wllmb

Edited by X201 at 16:32:46 11-05-2020
  • cowell 20 May 2020 22:03:08 2,205 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Watched the first couple of episodes of The Last Dance on Netflix. My knowledge of basketball is miniscule but itís been a decent watch so far
  • JoeBlade 21 May 2020 00:06:55 5,318 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    cowell wrote:
    Watched the first couple of episodes of The Last Dance on Netflix. My knowledge of basketball is miniscule but itís been a decent watch so far
    To what degree is it about the basketball versus other aspects of Jordan and his team's history (personalities, drama, internal conflicts, etc)?

I really don't care one bit for watching sports in any shape or form, it bores the life out of me. This is getting excellent ratings though, which makes me wonder...
  • gillgrissom 21 May 2020 00:40:22 300 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @JoeBlade It is good to watch even if your not a fan of sports, but solely based around jordan. You defo see another side to him as most will have only ever seen the sportsman in him ( he was seriously good, and proved it )
    He told people day before a game what he would do to an apponent as many where touted in press as being a better player than jordan, and did it they had no answer to him.
    But you can see in interviews the hatred for certain players he had and there is no love lost.
    The man didnt like to loose and went out every game wanting to win, and alot of times he did it on his own.
    Worth watching and watch the whole lot 10 episodes nigh on an hour each.
  • Mola_Ram 21 May 2020 01:26:15 24,598 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    cowell wrote:
    To what degree is it about the basketball versus other aspects of Jordan and his team's history (personalities, drama, internal conflicts, etc)?

I really don't care one bit for watching sports in any shape or form, it bores the life out of me. This is getting excellent ratings though, which makes me wonder...
    There's quite a bit of the off-court stuff. But just know that the documentary was co-produced by Jordan, so you're not going to get anyone really dishing the dirt on him.

Still worth a watch, though.
  • Fourwisemen 21 May 2020 08:22:32 975 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    JoeBlade wrote:
    cowell wrote:

There's quite a bit of the off-court stuff. But just know that the documentary was co-produced by Jordan, so you're not going to get anyone really dishing the dirt on him.

Still worth a watch, though.
    This is a great summation, Iím about half way through and the Jordan reverence is a bit on the sickly side.

Saying that itís wonderfully produced, highly entertaining and while Iím not exactly basketball savvy (save for NBA Jam) have found it very watchable so far.
  • Load_2.0 3 Jun 2020 21:08:25 32,184 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    McMillions.

An interesting topic with larger than life characters but an utterly dire production.

The details of how the main character managed to carry out the scheme and the interesting criminal connections to organized crime are glossed over in favour of meandering reminiscing.

The structure and order of events are related to the viewer in a such a tedious fashion it's very difficult to stay engaged.

Edited by Load_2.0 at 21:09:51 03-06-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.