Documentary recommendations Page 26

Next Last
  • Nanocrystal 4 Jun 2020 04:41:51 2,124 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    McMillions.

An interesting topic with larger than life characters but an utterly dire production.

The details of how the main character managed to carry out the scheme and the interesting criminal connections to organized crime are glossed over in favour of meandering reminiscing.

The structure and order of events are related to the viewer in a such a tedious fashion it's very difficult to stay engaged.
    Also just finished watching McMillions, and totally agree. An interesting story but way overblown by the documentary makers. One episode-ending cliff hanger was so manufactured as to be laughable.

Edited by Nanocrystal at 04:42:47 04-06-2020
  • Mola_Ram 4 Jun 2020 05:01:03 23,982 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's a shame. I read the article the thing was based on, and my first thought afterwards was "fucking hell that would make for a great documentary".

Maybe it should have just been a feature though, instead of a series.
  • reddevil93 4 Jun 2020 07:07:59 15,527 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    McMillions.

An interesting topic with larger than life characters but an utterly dire production.

The details of how the main character managed to carry out the scheme and the interesting criminal connections to organized crime are glossed over in favour of meandering reminiscing.

The structure and order of events are related to the viewer in a such a tedious fashion it's very difficult to stay engaged.
    Also just finished watching McMillions, and totally agree. An interesting story but way overblown by the documentary makers. One episode-ending cliff hanger was so manufactured as to be laughable.
    Thirded. Stories and access were there to make a really interesting documentary but it still somehow ends up being a 5/6 out of 10.
  • freddymercurystwin 4 Jun 2020 11:32:25 2,174 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich (Netflix): I was persuaded to watch this by the missus but I was glad I did, there's no major surprises or revelations that don't already exist in the ether but it did (for me) kinda round up the whole Epstein saga, so far ...

The first episode or two seems to drag a little but then picks up a lot after that, it's pretty watchable and I was surprised at some of the participants, his lawyer who headed up his legal team for example, another of his stooges by all accounts and of course some of the head deviants are nowhere to be seen and disappointingly the documentary does nothing to suggest what they're up to now or which rocks they've crawled under.

What I did find peculiar is that the hundreds or thousands of girls who were abused at his or his stooges hands often recruited many others into the fold, parents too seem to be unmentioned. I kind of get that the systematic abuse and the lure of money kind of self serves itself and clouds the victims' judgment but one 22 year old who was abused for 3 years, spoke of how awful (obviously) it all was at the time then introduced her younger sister to the foray, absolutely bizarre!

I suppose it's obvious to some but it is extraordinary just how high up this goes, one could only hope there are still FBI investigations going on to try and seek further recourse but who knows. I suppose not.
  • anephric 28 Jul 2020 21:21:03 4,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you're not already watching the Once Upon a Time in Iraq series currently on BBC2, do it.

It's fucking depressing but incredibly engrossing.
  • Vortex808 28 Jul 2020 22:57:53 13,856 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I am and it is. On both counts.
  • Zerobob 29 Jul 2020 11:37:54 2,449 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    Found this Escapist Darkest Dungeon doc to be riveting.

Never really got on with the game myself, roguelike don't agree with me,but loved this
    This has been in my YouTube Watch Later list for ages. I picked up the game on Switch and, although the concept and aesthetic is right up my street, I found the general design and UI was obnoxiously confusing, to the point of being ridiculous.

I keep saying to myself that I'll pick the game up again, but I've been putting off watching the documentary so I can avoid spoilers.

I'm guessing the documentary is quite in-depth, but can anyone who's played the game comment on how spoilerific the documentary is?
  • Zerobob 29 Jul 2020 11:43:44 2,449 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also, this is an old documentary, but the Games Britannia series is being shown on BBC again. The first 2 episodes are available on iPlayer.

It's an interesting look into the evolution of games in general and very interesting.
  • Gruff 29 Jul 2020 14:32:58 3,599 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I am much like yourself Bob, thought the game was for me, never actually played it much. But the Doc was terrific, they seem like decent folks and the story of the games creation is very engaging. Does have some large spoilers TBH, but might actually inspire you to pick it up again despite that.
  • Zerobob 29 Jul 2020 17:55:28 2,449 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Gruff Sod it, you've tempted me. I'll give the documentary a watch, it sounds great. I'll probably forget most of the details by the time I pick the game up again anyway and, as you say, it might inspire me to do so.
  • philreeduk 30 Jul 2020 02:47:37 539 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Zerobob I was in the exact position as you a few months back. I watched it and am glad I did. It ruins the ending and the set up for the final fight but outside of that it's really worth watching.
  • DrStrangelove 1 Aug 2020 01:33:44 15,207 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry if I've posted this before. I knoew I did on another forum, not sure I did here. It's about Detroit Techno.

• mothercruncher 2 Aug 2020 07:12:31 17,831 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iím sorry- but thereís are no other forums.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.