How much should a new laptop hard drive cost?

• IJ 20 Dec 2005 21:16:32 987 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hi all,

Just need a bit of help. My girlfriends laptop hard drive has somehow broken and the laptop is a TIME (yes, explains everything i know) so the guarentee isn't valid (as they've died a death as a company).

So she's been quoted 100 to replace the 40Gb hard drive and for fitting it etc.

I have looked online but its fairly tricky to get what price a 40gb hard drive should be, well, it is for me being a bit crap at these sort of things.

So is this a good price?

Cheers all,

JR
  • Deleted user 20 December 2005 21:18:10
    Laptop hard drives are strange beasts.
  • martyngates 20 Dec 2005 21:25:08 1,752 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    it depends how much you know about computers and what they are going to do for you

your looking at about 50 for a new hard disk online (so about 75 in a shop), then it will need to be fitted, pretty simple to do if you dare pull your laptop appart, then windows will need reinstalling (are they doing this?)

Edited by martyngates at 21:27:54 20-12-2005
  • IJ 20 Dec 2005 21:35:33 987 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hey thanks for the reply,

I'm a 3rd year computer scientist at Uni and i've built my own computer so i could probably do it. But we're not 100% sure its the hard drive, so it'd need testing, which i could do but my girlfriend lives in France, is home for 10 days over xmas and needs it fixing before she goes back, and she lives 2 hours from me. So its simplier if she gets someone to do it for her and just pays a bit extra.

So i guess the quote is about 70 for a HDD and 30 to test it and fit it. Suppose its not too out then?

Cheers again
  • Whizzo 20 Dec 2005 21:44:37 44,805 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You could always get hold of one of these and see if the drive has problems on a different PC. It does make things a bit more involved but if the drive isn't dead you may have saved a bit of cash.

To be honest any decent repair company would take the drive out and if it's not faulty would only charge small fee, if anything, as they don't need to replace it.
  • Angel_Treats 20 Dec 2005 21:50:09 11,070 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rutty got a second hand 40GB laptop hard drive off ebay for 30. It was good as new, and it's not exactly difficult to fit it yourself. You could just talk her through it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.