Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • Futaba 7 Jan 2011 17:41:33 3,636 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Does this game have SecuRom in both the retail and steam versions?

I'm a bit put off buying it if it does (if it's as bad as Mass Effect).
  • Dirtbox 7 Jan 2011 17:49:18 91,422 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Ravenger 7 Jan 2011 17:49:59 190 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The original retail copy of Crysis just had a securom disc check. The copy included in the Maximum pack with Warhead has securom limited activations, as does the Steam copies.

Why Crytek haven't removed the activations by now I don't know, as they were cracked on release and surely have served their purpose by now. EA did this for the Steam versions of Mass Effect and Dead Space, and I re-bought them on Steam to remove the DRM.

I'd also have re-bought Crysis and Warhead on Steam if they'd removed the DRM, but I passed on them even when they were ludicrously cheap in the sale recently. I don't buy games or DLC with limited activations.

The good thing about the DRM is that revoke tools are now available.
  • MrWonderstuff 7 Jan 2011 17:53:17 3,304 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just bought and finished this as part of the Steam sale. Very good and on my relatively ok PC I recently bought, very pretty. Going through Warhead at the moment which is a little more action orientated.
  • Dirtbox 7 Jan 2011 17:55:18 91,422 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Futaba 7 Jan 2011 18:00:43 3,636 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thanks for that guys. Just ordered it from Amazon.

Dirtbox wrote:
    I wasn't aware there was any problem with Mass Effect, never had a problem with this either.

You know you can replace the exe if you're that bothered, right?

Reading wikipedia it seems EA toned down the SecuRom on ME after complaints, so it probably wasn't the best example to use (now Bioshock, on the other hand...). I've used cracks before, but I hadn't considered them being used to bypass SecuRom. That's good to know though.
  • Deleted user 13 January 2011 14:03:14
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Just looked it up, there's no limited activation anymore, although there used to be.

Hey DB, where did you see this?

These two are two of my favourite games ever, and I hate limited activations. Have they been patched out? (I have them both on Steam).

The retail version of Crysis had no DRM beyond a cd-check, Warhead came with 5 activations on retail. According to the Steam store, they both have 5 activations (though, Steam have loads of mistakes on their storefront, and I'm sceptical that DRM was actually added to the Steam version of the first game) and if that's true I'm probably up to 3 or 4 activations on each.

I hate that shit, but if it's been patched out then that's great news.
  • Ravenger 13 Jan 2011 15:09:30 190 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Are you sure the DRM has been removed? Not to my knowledge.

According to the unofficial list of DRM'd Steam games the DRM is still very much there:

http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/hardware-based/
  • Deleted user 13 January 2011 15:17:02
    Not according to the Steam page. (scroll down halfway and on the right-hand side, under "Game Details" (where the Metacritic score is) you'll see a section called "3rd Party DRM" and it says "SecuRom 5 machine activation limit")

But, you can't always trust Steam for accurate info. Just look at the page for Far Cry 2. It says the same thing, but Ubisoft patched out the DRM in patch 1.03 (so Steam is wrong).

I haven't heard if EA did the same, but as I said before, I'm not even sure if the info on Crysis is correct. I don't think the first one ever had DRM, I reckon they just created a template store page for both Crysis and Crysis Warhead and the info was copied over incorrectly (as Warhead actually does have SecuRom with 5 activations). Wouldn't surprise me, at least.
  • caligari 31 Jan 2011 01:34:46 17,945 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Wowzers - I just finished Crysis Warhead after picking it up for next to nothing over Christmas.

I don't usually 'gush' over first-person shooters - but there's just something about these games that really 'click' for me.

That massive plasma-gun BFG thingy towards the end is also bloody amazing. It's a shame that you don't get to use it on your second play-through

There's also no better feeling than when you shoot one of those flying alien bastards out of the sky, too. I love watching them crash-land.
  • Rusty_M 31 Jan 2011 12:19:18 7,166 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cool. I look forward to Warhead when I finish Crysis. I bought both over christmas as well. I keep getting lost in terms of where I'm supposed to go now though!
  • Widge Moderator 3 Feb 2011 21:45:11 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RIGHT. I'm going to try Crysis properly finally. I just booted it up with my new processor in effect and the game is just laughing with everything turned up. Felt slick and responsive to play so really hoping it makes a better impression on me than when I tried Warhead ages ago pre-upgrade.

I think approaching the game as a benchmarking method frame of mind doesn't help, I am actually going to be able to just approach it in a "lets enjoy the game" frame of mind now.
  • Widge Moderator 6 Feb 2011 21:02:03 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've liked it so far, thought the Cave level was a bit disorientating... the thing I hate most in a game is poking my nose around the scenery because it isn't really obvious where you are going.

Some fights have been awesome, some have been me just nipping from cover to cover as I retread all my steps to pick up a rocket launcher to take out helicopters. Don't feel so much as a slick fighter as someone who just hovers around the outskirts of locations, slowly picking people off. Sometimes I feel like an utter clutz, bumping around the edges of cliffs.

My showdown against the Korean guy before the Cave level was completely slapstick. I just jumped in his face immediately and began slapping away. "SHOW YOURSELF!" "COWARD!". I was right there.

The best bit so far was zipping along some pipeline of whooshy lights in the cave, that and the opening of the Assualt level. I love it when it gets all cinematic. The entire night-time section was also really good. Creeping along in the fog with all the amazing lighting, especially when some helicopter was hunting for me... all the trees moving in the wind and the misty light shifting around.
  • dsmx 6 Feb 2011 21:06:43 8,588 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    But your impression of how you feel in the suit is the feel they were trying to get, remember your spec forces not a soldier. While you can go in guns blazing the equipment, the maps and your suit are not really designed for that.
  • WoodenSpoon 6 Feb 2011 21:36:33 12,360 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I found playing it on Delta was much more fun; you had to be stealthy and plan your attacks. Also your suit doesn't draw annoying lines round people, and they speak Korean too.
  • Widge Moderator 7 Feb 2011 08:45:54 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I canít remember what level I played on, I think I was just going for an enjoyment run!

There was one place where I managed to take down 5 or so troops from a distance without being noticed, that felt particularly cool. A bit more on the Solid Snake style of things. Usually its a case of shoot one guard, alarms start blaring, flares in the sky!
  • SuperBas 7 Feb 2011 12:53:44 1,675 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I just finished this on Delta today. Good game, but I really hope the aliens in part 1 will be completely scrapped for part 2. Fighting Koreans was great, fighting aliens terrible.
  • MattyB2007 16 Feb 2011 21:42:19 2,933 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Can someone let me know how you get this to run on Dx9 so I can finish the game properly please?
  • Deleted user 16 February 2011 21:52:30
    Add -dx9 to the shortcut
  • MattyB2007 16 Feb 2011 23:18:08 2,933 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cheers
  • Deleted user 16 February 2011 23:19:42
    space after the " so " -dx9
  • DasBooter 9 Mar 2011 20:33:00 488 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Widge wrote:My showdown against the Korean guy before the Cave level was completely slapstick. I just jumped in his face immediately and began slapping away. "SHOW YOURSELF!" "COWARD!". I was right there.

I dispatched him by throwing a barrel at him which knocked him backwards over a railing and into the water. He swam about a bit cursing me then drowned!
  • Deleted user 9 March 2011 21:45:53
    I punched his face off.
  • Deleted user 22 March 2011 21:32:26
    Fucking tanks!!
  • Malek86 13 Apr 2020 16:05:16 10,179 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Necrobumping because the Crysis twitter account just posted again after more than three years of silence.

Potential for a remastered trilogy incoming? Or maybe Crysis 4 for next gen consoles?

Edited by Malek86 at 16:06:12 13-04-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.