Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Virtual holidays, like total recall.

A puzzle game, virtual sex?

The possibilities are almost endless.
  • Pike 9 Mar 2007 13:48:43 13,459 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Some new tech vids I haven't seen before.

Teh *real* next gen.

Consoleslol!

I Think I should repost them in the appropriate thread, and not just in that troll thread.

The A-bomb at the end of the first is jaw dropping indeed.
  • silentbob 9 Mar 2007 13:55:09 29,527 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Those demos are ancient I believe. Still impressive though.

Anyway, as I said when they released those recent gameplay trailers, it all looks very pretty - but actually playing the game doesn't seem to have moved on an awful lot from the first installment. Mind you, that's still a definite buy for me regardless.

Disappointing nonetheless.
  • Pike 9 Mar 2007 13:57:47 13,459 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Gameplay wise I suspect Crysis will be competent and fun but not revolutionary. What I do like is the opportunity for other developers to get their hands on a great development tool that allow them to focus on art direction and gameplay instead of tech.
  • silentbob 9 Mar 2007 14:00:16 29,527 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Well, I said that with the last gen engine and I can't name one good game that did. It seemed everyone plumped for either source engine or John Carmacks latest instead.
  • FWB 9 Mar 2007 14:00:47 56,343 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It seems to me they are pimping the engine more than the game. Regardless of Crysis I suspect some nice stuff will come out of it.... like Leisure Suit Larry XVIII.
  • Pike 9 Mar 2007 14:01:36 13,459 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    True, but Crytek were unknowns back then. Now that they are more established it might help getting developers to chose them.
  • silentbob 9 Mar 2007 14:04:22 29,527 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    It seems to me they are pimping the engine more than the game. Regardless of Crysis I suspect some nice stuff will come out of it.... like Leisure Suit Larry XVIII.
    I think it's a financial necessity for PC titles these days. It's been id's strategy for many years, and Valve certainly weren't shy about pimping it's warez after moving from the Quake 2 engine to Source.

The amount of time and money that goes into these titles really boggles the mind.
  • FWB 9 Mar 2007 14:08:29 56,343 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Indeed and I am glad to see it being done. Also provides the bases for amateurs/communities to build stuff. Particularly those with creativity but little technical skills.
  • AnotherMartin 9 Mar 2007 17:08:45 6,229 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Nice vids here. (if it's not already been posted?)
  • PapaSmurf630 11 Mar 2007 21:43:17 246 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    silentbob wrote:

Anyway, as I said when they released those recent gameplay trailers, it all looks very pretty - but actually playing the game doesn't seem to have moved on an awful lot from the first installment.

You what? Have we been watching the same video!?
    Just to clear things up, incase anyone was wondering, this game doesn't follow on from the orginal. Infact it's a totally different game with a similar name (they have some sort of thing with the word cry it seems) and a similar setting...and you shoot stuff...

The gameplay looks awesome! How is this not a big step???
    Nigh-on totally destructible environments, day-night cycle, volumetric clouds, smoke clipping as well as the new suit you can mess about with...not to mention the other stuff..

NOTHING impresses anyone anymore :(
  • Derblington 14 Mar 2007 00:19:39 33,438 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's crazy isn't it. There's an editor video highlighting the tools of teh CryEngine2 on the front page of gametrailers at teh mo and it's worth a watch. They're a crazy talented team...

I have actually run around the level that is in the demo video and it really does look just like that in real time.

edit: god I can't spell. I'm going to bed...

Edited by Derblington at 00:22:25 14-03-2007
  • Derblington 14 Mar 2007 00:24:47 33,438 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    There are certain things I see in the game over and over and everytime I see them I grin. I hope the visuals don't completely overshadow the game.
  • Tomo 14 Mar 2007 00:25:54 17,826 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Holy shit. They're impressive. I'd like to compare the full res images, but still.
  • FWB 14 Mar 2007 04:07:58 56,343 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Things have come a long way.
  • Nart_Saga 15 Mar 2007 06:08:43 4 posts
    Registered 14 years ago
    CryEngine (so far only one game: Crysis) 2 and Unreal Engine 3 (Gears of War, Brother in Arms, Assasians Creed...) will be probably be the best looking fps engines for the next generation.

But I don't think we are there yet :

I mean come on! vs real life?!? spend more than 3 seconds and its not that hard :)

Maybe in 2012 or something

Unreal Engine 4 Doom 4 Crysis 2 who knows :p
  • Khanivor 16 Mar 2007 00:24:35 44,482 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    What gives me wood about Crysis is the work they are doing on eliminating clipping. For me that has been the thing which pulls me out of a game's immersiveness ever since they went 3D.

Textures will naturally improve over time as will the detail of the models they are applied to. It's the incidental aspects that will need to solved to truelly make things seem beleivable.
  • Khanivor 16 Mar 2007 00:33:15 44,482 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I dunno, I loved the jungle bits in Far Cry. I thought they really showed off the power of the engine in regard to using your binoculars to reveal troops milling around a base. But the fun aspect was having blips on yer minii map and twirling around trying to make out where the goons were in amongst all the foiliage.

I'm of the camp that Far Cry was the best FPS since HL and remained so until FEAR, which continues to hold the crown.

I think Crysis will reclaim the crown, as long as the devs don't put more effort into creating an interactive novel then the firefights, a la Valve.
  • Inquisitor Moderator 16 Mar 2007 00:35:34 14,557 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The worst part of PDZ were the jungle sections (heh, not saying much).

However Far Cry (xbox) was great fun, even the jungle sections were pretty good, but if the forest becomes too dense it just starts being too hard to pick out enemies, especially if their AI can 'see' through the trees better than you can.
  • Deleted user 16 March 2007 00:36:39
    The first half of Far Cry was the best FPS in a long time, after that it goes to shite which is why HL2 pips it, FEAR is pretty but repeats itself to much.
  • Khanivor 16 Mar 2007 00:40:25 44,482 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Agreed, and that was something that Far Cry got right. There were never really any sections were you just couldn't move forward because there were unseen enemy snipers with laser vision and heat seeking bullets. And the way the binoculars would map the enemy out for on your mini map made it both wise to act smart and use all the tools in your arsenal and a hell of a lot of fun to then swap over to your own sniper rifle and clear a path. Only for some bugger with an MP% who was apparently taking a piss behind a tree fill your back with lead as you moved into wht you thought was a clear section. The game really forced you to have tactical awareness, something that makes the better SWAT games so good but to manage it in such a massive outdoor environment was a remarkable achievement.

Man, I gotta go play this game again :)
  • Khanivor 16 Mar 2007 00:46:18 44,482 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    The first half of Far Cry was the best FPS in a long time, after that it goes to shite which is why HL2 pips it, FEAR is pretty but repeats itself to much.

I dunnno. I still think the section after you emerge from underground into the midst of this full blown war raging around you is one of the most breathtaking and immersive sections of any FPS.

FEAR does indeed repeat itself an awful lot and the environments could have done wiht a great deal more variety. But I'm willing to let it off as the tech simply wasn't there to have richly detailed environments which you could destroy with such wanton abandon. Tossing a grenade throuhg a window and then filing the fleeing baddies with lead never got old for me. And it has the best end sequence to any FPS eva :)

HL2 for me concentrated too much on the FP and not enough on the S. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic game and a true step forward in maturing games as an art form but when I buy a shooter I wanna shoot stuff. And the AI in HL2 seemed a retrograde step from the original, meaning the firefights were not able to keep pace with the advancements the rest of the title was achieving.
  • Tomo 16 Mar 2007 00:58:53 17,826 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The jungle bits in Far Cry were legendary. The jungle level is Goldeneye was a stinker :D
  • Introspectre 16 Mar 2007 01:02:36 3,274 posts
    Registered 14 years ago
    Far Cry sucks ass. Still looks amazing though.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.