Running Page 69

• askew 12 Feb 2018 21:50:28 17,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    @askew For anyone interested, I have just made an online purchase on the Skins website and got a whopping 40% discount with the code SPOOKY. The payment/order has gone through so it seems sound, I think it expires tomorrow.

For me their sizes come up small, normally I'm small in tops and about a 29-30" waist but Skins I need an XL in the tights department. Possibly an XXL but I've never actually tried a pair of XXL's on as there's now only about 2 running shops within 100miles and they're a bit shit.
    Bollocks. Never saw this.

What about…

freddymercurystwin wrote:
    Gotta get some R&R for a half marathon Tom.
    your HM – how did it go?

I stopped running at the end of November as my asthma was really getting in the way. Been back on a course of the steroids to try and control it, and picked it up again a fortnight back. The first run was felt hard, but I've been enjoying how easy they have felt since, and watching my 'Suffer Score' on Strava drop as I build up the mileage.

I entered the ballot for the Great North Run on a whim and got in…
  • freddymercurystwin 13 Feb 2018 12:24:53 1,535 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @askew My HM was 1.57, a bit disappointed with myself tbh as was hoping to improve my PB a little which is 1.54 (Torbay) especially as this was Exeter and a largely flat route as it roughly follows the canal. Oh well, probably a lack of training I guess and my shit knees – fucking knees! Last half a mile was incredibly brutal with the wind suddenly going absolutely mental combined with really thick hail, my legs were burning, had been clear skies albeit cold up to that moment and the sparse spectators completely nonplussed by any runners limping back to the finish – you really wonder why they bother going to spectate at all? And as a side note only one or two great arses – really quite disappointing – a good arse can be a great distraction! Gotta feel for those people you see walking after about two miles though, you really wonder what suitable training they’ve put in.

Really looking forward to Plymouth though in a couple of months, I did it last year and that was easily the most enjoyable one I’ve done so far by a long way, a really nice route, absolutely beautiful perfect weather and massive enthusiastic crowds and the best organization too.

Good luck in yours, you’ve got plenty of time to get the training in.
  • smoothpete 14 Mar 2018 13:07:06 35,163 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Anyone else supposed to be doing the Reading half on sunday? Weather looks SHIT. All of my lot have dropped out due to injury or illness or just being fannies. I am now a lone wolf.

Edited by smoothpete at 13:07:33 14-03-2018
  • freddymercurystwin 14 Mar 2018 14:28:30 1,535 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Good luck, they must be fair weather runners! It's too far away from me, my next is Plymouth I think.

Why do some runners run on the road, rather than the pavement? I see people run along roads where i run along the pavement and can't understand why.
  • smoothpete 14 Mar 2018 14:50:34 35,163 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In a race scenario I would run in the road. Less high fiving of bystanders.
  • freddymercurystwin 27 Jun 2018 17:34:07 1,535 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Anyone here ever use water hydration backpacks? I’m thinking one with say no more than 1.5l capacity, anyone got any recommendations? I have a (largely) un-marshalled half marathon coming up and have to carry water (min. 0.5l), I also have to carry a map and a phone. Can’t see any kind of water belt option being a good option though I did think about sticking a couple of 0.5l water bladders down each side of my compression shorts, I think they’d stay in place and in anycase they’ll be shrinking down as I go but not sure on that option yet.
  • elstoof 27 Jun 2018 17:40:14 21,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Running with any sort of backpack is really horrible in my experience. I can’t imagine I’d need more than a single bottle I could hold for a half, I never take any water out during 10k runs but everyone’s got different requirements
  • Dirt3 27 Jun 2018 17:52:49 393 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    freddymercurystwin

No.

Went running last night about 12k up a massive hill in the heat. Normally don't take any water with me but this time took an empty 500ml pepsi max bottle with cold water in my hand.

Worked fine.
  • rice_sandwich 27 Jun 2018 18:01:03 4,901 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin

I have the older model of this. It worked well in 10+ mile training runs.

https://www.inov-8.com/race-elite-vesttm-with-bottles
  • freddymercurystwin 27 Jun 2018 22:31:07 1,535 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Running with any sort of backpack is really horrible in my experience. I can’t imagine I’d need more than a single bottle I could hold for a half, I never take any water out during 10k runs but everyone’s got different requirements
    Well this is about 22km, it's a stipulation of entry that I carry some water and it could be absolutely baking hot, I would typically drink about 0.75-1l on a half, oh and whilst there are two official drinking stations the route is supposed to be a bit vague (they even say there's a reasonable chance of getting a bit lost, it's a purely fun run) and there are no marshalls hence the organisers conditions of entry, I'm also in no way familiar with the route so I have no idea if popping into a shop for a bottle of water is an option, which is what I do on my training half's. And as mentioned I will be fannying around looking at a map every 10mins so I would sooner not have the hassle of carrying a bottle in my hand.
  • freddymercurystwin 27 Jun 2018 22:48:32 1,535 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Thanks I'll check that one out, looks pretty good.
  • freddymercurystwin 8 Jul 2018 14:55:06 1,535 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well I settled on the Camelbak Circuit Hydration Pack in the end, was sensible as it was today and brutally hot. It didn't move around much at all which I was pleased and surprised by, more annoying was the constant sloshing noise, got lost a few times so ran a half a mile extra and seeing as I couldn't even read the writing on the supplied map I was wholly reliant on others for navigating the route so walked a lot more than I would have otherwise, may of been for the best though in retrospect.
  • askew 8 Jul 2018 18:00:26 17,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well done!

I met some chaps up on the Glyders one afternoon who were doing some kind of point to point race through Snowdonia and they couldn’t use a map or compass.
  • rice_sandwich 16 Jul 2018 12:49:43 4,901 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Back into running this morning after being out for two years and a bit years with a nagging injury that I could never seem to sort out. It's not totally healed yet but it has gotten a lot better so I thought I might as well get on with it. I could only jog three quarters of a mile before I had to walk for a bit but it's a start.

I had a look at my stats on Garmin Connect and I've only had what I'd consider three good running years out of the last 9! In my head it seemed a lot better than taht. The last three and half years have been the worst of all - just 14 runs for a total of 30 miles but I guess much of that has been taken up with my hip problems.
  • elstoof 16 Jul 2018 13:14:51 21,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good luck with it and try not to do too much too soon
  • Phattso 16 Jul 2018 13:20:46 24,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Does anyone here have strong opinions on fitness tracker watches? I'm ogling a Garmin Forerunner 235 in the Prime Day sale. I'd want it to be good at in-run data visualisation - heartrate, distance, ideally it'd know something about the route and let me know if I'm over or under time... that sorta thing.

Seamless integration with Strava is a must.

Thoughts? Opinions? Alternatives? :)
  • rice_sandwich 16 Jul 2018 13:27:38 4,901 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Phattso

I had a Garmin 305 and then a 225. I like the brand and it has proven to be reliable. It does pretty much everything I want, shows pace, distance, heart rate, can be programmed etc. Check out the DC Rainmaker site for in depth reviews.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin
  • elstoof 16 Jul 2018 13:35:55 21,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I use a 35, not really into analysing data do suits me fine. Optical HRM, tells me distance and pace at a glance which is all I want from it. My bike Garmin is more high tech but I never use many of its features tbh, even Bluetooth strava uploads I don’t use because it meant I kept forgetting to charge it. Back to uploading via usb so I keep it charged
  • Phattso 16 Jul 2018 13:47:17 24,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Coolio. I’m guessing these GPS watches happily operate without a smartphone? Can’t be arsed farting around a mobile when I run but really want the data tracking.
  • elstoof 16 Jul 2018 13:53:50 21,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah no need to carry your phone, they have their own GPS receivers but some can be connected for mobile alerts on the go. Handy for cycling to see texts etc without reaching for your phone all the time, less so for running when you aren’t out for all that long in comparison in my experience
  • rice_sandwich 16 Jul 2018 13:54:12 4,901 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Phattso

Yes, no smart phone required. You can generally sync them with mobile apps or various web sites to track your stats. I tend to connect mine to my pc as it charges it at the same time. I've used very few of the features that the watches I've had have. The most useful feature (to me) is to program for pacing e.g. run 2 minutes 'fast', then half a mile at an easy pace, then 2 minutes fast etc. Get one with a light on the screen as it's super handy for when it's dark. Vibration alerts are also useful.
  • freddymercurystwin 16 Jul 2018 14:27:01 1,535 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I have a TomTom Runner, it does everything I need and I quite like the app and the PC access which shows a bit more information than the app. It interacts with Strava too if that’s important. Think I paid about £50 for my TomTom a few years back when it was on offer, of which is quite often, I think I’d have to get the Runner 3 Cardio now if I wanted the same including heart rate which would be more but I would wait for an offer. I really couldn’t justify any other watch as they seem to have so many daft features and how many ever really get used on the go I just don’t know. I am constantly amazed at the amount of runners at HM start lines with their £200+ Suuntos. I bet 90% of their features are never used.
  • askew 16 Jul 2018 14:31:30 17,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Do it. I've got the 230 and use a heart rate band with it. It's pretty good. Sometimes a little slow to get a GPS signal: I'm itching to get running on the doorstep and it's taking an age to triangulate. Wonder if I use the GPS/GLONASS combo it might be a bit quicker.

My only beef is with the software (Garmin Connect website/iOS app). As rice_sandwich suggests, I create my own training schemes, but can be quite fiddly going back through them to update my paces. I'd like to define them as variables and be able to change them in a single place and have them cascade through the workouts.
  • Phattso 16 Jul 2018 16:15:10 24,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cheers for the advice all. Much appreciated.
  • AccidentProne 16 Jul 2018 16:36:48 1,358 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just to add, I've been using a 235 for the past couple of years and it does everything I could expect out of a running watch and for the most part, does it really well.

@askew My 235 locks on to a signal pretty much immediately when I'm home (under 5s) and if I'm somewhere new, is quick to find the satellites (usually less than 30s). That's with the standard GPS setting. Have you tried updating the software?

Only downside really is the optical heart rate monitor sometimes locks onto cadence instead. Oh and the race predictions are somewhat optimistic...

Edited by AccidentProne at 16:37:17 16-07-2018
  • elstoof 16 Jul 2018 16:58:48 21,909 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My experience with Garmin computers is that they vary wildly in terms of performance from unit to unit even for the same model, particularly in terms of GPS connection speed
  • AccidentProne 16 Jul 2018 17:24:10 1,358 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I've been looking at bike computers lately (820 vs. 520plus) and from what I've read, it seems to be pot luck whether you get one that works properly.
  • Vortex808 16 Jul 2018 20:18:05 12,866 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a forerunner 220. S'ok but old and needs a chest band for heart.

Missus' fr35 is much better. I should buy a newer one with built in hr, but am too tight until mine dies like my ancient polar hr monitor eventually did to push me to the 220.
  • rice_sandwich 6 Aug 2018 15:50:35 4,901 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Im into my fourth week in my running come back. So far, so good. I'm miles off my previous level / times but I can feel the habit building back up. I like running alone but I'm tempted to enter a race, if only for the chance to travel within the UK or abroad
  • wuntyphyve 6 Aug 2018 16:13:56 11,032 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Phattso Did you get the Garmin FR235 in the end? Just curious. I have a love hate relationship with Garmin at the mo on account of my wee FR30's strap coming apart after 4 months and being unable to easily find a replacement. End up phoning Garmin and they state they'll send me one. Never arrives so call them again and spend 30 mins on the phone only to be told they won't have it in stock for another 4 weeks. The watch is great but looks like the build quality is wank. Wonder if it's better on the more expensive models. Don't want to upgrade for something else that's going to break after a few months.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 16:14:21 06-08-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.