Running Page 70

• Frogofdoom 6 Aug 2018 17:03:02 10,111 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Put in my worst run in months today, no real idea why either. I think my 42 year old body is struggling a bit with training 6 days a week. I'm doing 3 days weights and 3 days runs, might move it to an 8 day cycle rather than 7 to see if it helps but it feels a bit like failing to do that.
  • mrpon 6 Aug 2018 17:06:20 34,724 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rest!!
  • Phattso 6 Aug 2018 17:10:52 23,871 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @wuntyphyve no, I skipped it in the end and just got a Neoprene Monstrosity to strap my phone to my arm; seemed the best way to get proper Strava integration with zero faff. ;-)
  • wuntyphyve 6 Aug 2018 17:24:07 10,858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Phattso Oooh. Well it's too late now but the Strava integration is brilliant with the garmin watches. That's why I got one as I couldn't be arsed taking my phone out with me anymore (I have REALLY odd-shaped twig like arms and could never get anything to fit properly).

Just wish they made the bloody things better.

Off for a run after work. Shin splints are doing my tits in though. Realised my shoes needed changing so got some new Brooks Adrenaline GTS18's. They look hideous but are as awesome as ever.
  • Phattso 6 Aug 2018 18:02:43 23,871 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What ultimately put me off was the people with slightly older gear explaining the problems they had getting things to work with all the new features. Some watches never supporting certain features, and on and on and on. Decided I didn't need a new rabbit warren of tech to lose myself down so just made do with the lack of mid-run stats and settled for the summaries at the end.

Now what, I wonder, should I spend the £160 I saved on the Garmin on? ;)
  • Vortex808 6 Aug 2018 18:14:53 12,711 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Buying a gps was the best thing i've done phattso. The massive phone holster shit really got to me after a few years.

Plus, if it slips down to your elbow, most folk end up running like a camp Tyrannosaurus with a little arm just sitting there trying to hold it in place.

Edited by Vortex808 at 18:15:20 06-08-2018
  • elstoof 6 Aug 2018 18:18:40 21,348 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah I hated my phone arm band, plus the Velcro stopped working properly after a few runs so kept undoing itself and hanging off my forearm. Seemed to cane my data as well. My FR35 has been the best bit of Garmin kit Iíve had.

As for features, unless you need to have whatever cutting edge fad is being promoted, running doesnít change so the features youíll actually use wonít change. I donít expect to be getting a new watch until this one dies of old age, hopefully more than another 5 years. My cycling Edge800 still works just fine despite being a 2012 vintage

Edited by elstoof at 18:22:22 06-08-2018
  • Phattso 6 Aug 2018 18:30:58 23,871 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm all about the fads. I don't have much intrinsic motivation to get off my arse, so I'll take as much of the faux scientific motivational guff they can parp into my face if it has me running regularly. :)

MOAR FEATUREZ!
  • Your-Mother 6 Aug 2018 18:55:21 2,063 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anyone ever done any ultrarunning? I'm seriously considering doing a 100 mile race next year.
  • elstoof 6 Aug 2018 19:01:13 21,348 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A friend of mine has got into ultra marathons recently, she just did Glasgow to Edinburgh
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Aug 2018 19:03:50 2,809 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I've done two ultras. They're fucking brilliant for two thirds of it. The middle third (both times) boredom and exhaustion had a fight in my brain
  • Vortex808 6 Aug 2018 19:52:33 12,711 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nutters. My knees would EXPLODE over a half marathon.

And my itb goes often enough trying to build up to that distance as it is!
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Aug 2018 19:58:17 2,809 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Well, yeah. You don't go from 5k to ultra in two months
  • Vortex808 6 Aug 2018 20:05:37 12,711 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My knees just cant take it no matter how slowly i phase in incremental distance increases over a long time.

I've just been slowly building back to 12km after an itb blow up last year. That's with stretches, clams aplenty etc.

Half M limit for me! I am in awe of those with more robust knees.

At least i can still run and haven't had to jack it in to concentrate on cycling yet.

Edited by Vortex808 at 20:06:11 06-08-2018
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Aug 2018 20:13:53 2,809 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Form?

I've been lucky perhaps in that I started running any sort of distance when I was in my late teens and was doing a lot of powerlifting exercises. That matters because when training for that, you wear flat or no shoes, and I was pretty dirt poor and I wasn't able to buy any Nike kneewrecking running shoes so had to learn good form as otherwise my shins felt like they were coming off
  • Vortex808 6 Aug 2018 20:19:17 12,711 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think I have been leaning forward a bit when fatigued, so trying to recalibrate a bit with that with kettlebells & some core stuff.

Also been trying to run on forest paths a bit more regularly. When i was early 20's i mostly ran off-road and had no issues. It was only as i settled down and had less time to head out of the city that the issues started. Possibly due to pavement/road camber. I'm trying to vary routes more often too.

Still dig running forest paths most though- flies dependent!
  • askew 6 Aug 2018 20:32:15 17,480 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye. Fed up of inhaling clouds of thrips as they hover over horse shit.
  • askew 10 Aug 2018 10:31:37 17,480 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anybody else running:

- Great North Run
    - Birmingham half (refuse to call it the Great Birmingham Run)

?

Main priority was to set a PB at the GNR, but thought I'd add the Birmingham half as a back-up. Not sure I fancy another five weeks of training though :(
  • freddymercurystwin 10 Aug 2018 11:04:43 1,497 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Do it! I have the Bridport Half on Sunday, gonna be pissing down by the looks (joy), think I'd almost prefer boiling hot TBH, it has fell run status and my last experience of something similar was not fun so am a bit apprehensive! I've long since given up chasing PB's. Happy to chug around and get to the finish nowadays and I think this will be reeeeally slow given the ascent.
  • rice_sandwich 15 Aug 2018 20:37:23 4,839 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Has anyone used the Summit paid features in Strava? I don't know if it's the sort of thing that's actually useful or if it's just stats for the sake of stats. At my level, pretty much running more and faster is the thing to do.
  • wuntyphyve 15 Aug 2018 20:56:00 10,858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've not but that reminded me I as going to give the free trial a shot. I was only interested in the analysis package so I've just activated it. No harm in giving it a month to see what it does for me.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 20:56:09 15-08-2018
  • TheBlackDog 15 Aug 2018 22:09:40 1,067 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Doing the Salomon Ben Nevis Ultra next month, which I signed up for a while ago and only just started reading up on. Now I've seen the route I've got a healthy level of "fear" and some nervousness about whether I've done enough training (I haven't). Also not sure how I'm going to pack now I've found out that there is only one food and water provision halfway around (I didn't realise it is meant to be self sufficient).

Anyone else doing it/done it? I've never been anywhere near Ben Nevis so I'm really looking forward to it overall. A dry race day would make it even better.
  • freddymercurystwin 15 Aug 2018 22:38:21 1,497 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @TheBlackDog You are mad. That is all I have to offer! :)
  • askew 15 Aug 2018 22:45:46 17,480 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Arf ;) Sounds like youíre in for a treat. Take a waterproof, compass, head torch, map.
  • wuntyphyve 16 Aug 2018 08:41:31 10,858 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That looks absolutely mental. But stunning. I wish I could do something like that.
  • askew 18 Aug 2018 11:29:48 17,480 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pretty chuffed at a vo2 max workout I did last night on the track: 2 * (2 * 1200 + 800m) as part of a 10 mile run. What I most like is that it felt so much easier than a similar (6 * 800m) run I did a few weeks ago as part of this half marathon training plan. I was able to run faster (3:45/km) with my heart rate 10bpm lower than the previous workout :o

I've noticed that I've started to plateau in terms of training effort Ė I'm not sure whether it's worth bumping my paces for the last few weeks of the plan, or just enjoy the fitness as I start my taper?
  • AccidentProne 18 Aug 2018 11:46:45 1,357 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blimey, that's quick! I haven't dipped under 4min/km in ages...

I guess it depends what time you're going for in the half, but when I'm tapering I normally keep the intensity reasonably high, just cut back the volume.

I'm supposed to be running a half in two weeks, but have been suffering with runner's knee and it's over a week since my last run. It's pretty much scuppered my planned autumn marathon too. Tempted to test it out with a short jog tomorrow, but that's probably a dreadful idea seeing as stairs are still proving painful.
  • askew 18 Aug 2018 12:07:44 17,480 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, 'tis keeping that pace for a decent length of time that is the issue. I ran a 42min 10k last week, which knocked 90seconds off my previous PB. I want to get under 40, so a 39'59" will do me just fine. Maybe after the 1/2 marathons.

Yeah, the plan calls for another v02 max workout in a fortnight, but the mileage is definitely decreasing from tomorrow. Looks like most of the workouts are just turning over the legs, heart and lungs. I'll leave bumping the paces until the next training block.
  • BurnoutJunkie 18 Aug 2018 16:26:53 1,030 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Blimey, that's quick! I haven't dipped under 4min/km in ages...

I guess it depends what time you're going for in the half, but when I'm tapering I normally keep the intensity reasonably high, just cut back the volume.

I'm supposed to be running a half in two weeks, but have been suffering with runner's knee and it's over a week since my last run. It's pretty much scuppered my planned autumn marathon too. Tempted to test it out with a short jog tomorrow, but that's probably a dreadful idea seeing as stairs are still proving painful.
    Donít do it! Iíve had a problematic knee since June. My doc initially said itís tendinitis, but Iím unsure now. Going up and down stairs is fine. I just couldnít bend my left knee all the way. It felt like muscular pain at the front side. Now if I even run for the train, about 30 seconds in I get a pain at the back of my knee. Have had an X-ray recently, so waiting for the results of that. Aching to go back to running, cos I donít do any other exercise. Have been told to try swimming.
  • AccidentProne 18 Aug 2018 16:41:06 1,357 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's completely self diagnosed as runner's knee right now, but it shows nearly all the signs. Have been doing some foam rolling, stretching and a bit of light strength / core stuff in the meantime and have bought a bike to hopefully mix things up a bit and avoid this happening again. I'll book a physio appointment at the start of the week if it's not cleared up by then.

I should definitely try swimming, problem is I'm terrible at it and find it incredibly boring. I do have plans to do a triathlon at some point, so really ought to get some lessons...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.