Running Page 78

• Destria 15 Oct 2018 11:54:38 2,868 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nah, nothing planned! I should probably get on that, or at least next year make sure I've got a couple of them lined up.

Until then, make sure I keep up some of the longer runs. Planning on running in to the office at least once a week, which is a good 10-12k depending on route.

Think I'm most pleased that I actually paced myself well. My splits were pretty consistent.
  • wuntyphyve 15 Oct 2018 12:06:02 11,445 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Destria Brilliant stuff. My splits were all over the place on Sunday. Bloody hills.

I'm starting to look at next year too. Doesn't appear to be anything else this year I fancy entering. Apart from the Inverness half in March and Loch ness Full in September. I am toying with signing up for the Edinburgh full marathon in May... That'll probably be enough. Maybe the aviemore half again as I enjoyed it.
  • docrob 15 Oct 2018 22:49:59 1,120 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    @Destria Brilliant stuff. My splits were all over the place on Sunday. Bloody hills.

I'm starting to look at next year too. Doesn't appear to be anything else this year I fancy entering. Apart from the Inverness half in March and Loch ness Full in September. I am toying with signing up for the Edinburgh full marathon in May... That'll probably be enough. Maybe the aviemore half again as I enjoyed it.
    You in Scotland wunty? Didnít realise.
  • macmurphy 16 Oct 2018 09:26:54 3,757 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @askew

Thanks buddy thatís really kind of you to post that. Canít find that on Amazon but thereís one called faster road racing, and that got some good reviews, I think Iíll pick it up.
  • wuntyphyve 16 Oct 2018 09:36:24 11,445 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @docrob Yeah man, up in the Highlands. Makes it a bit of a pain to think about travelling down for some races but I'm going to make more of an effort next year.

Legs still bloody stiff today. Think I'll give it another day before going for a run.
  • askew 16 Oct 2018 10:31:33 18,650 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    @askew

Thanks buddy thatís really kind of you to post that. Canít find that on Amazon but thereís one called faster road racing, and that got some good reviews, I think Iíll pick it up.
    Thatís the one!
  • Saucy 18 Oct 2018 11:16:21 2,770 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice times guys! 87 mins is shifting, great effort following the training plan, serious stuff.

Not done a half for a few years, doing a bit of planning for 2019, and hopefully (family/work dependant) might get a few in. I really love the buzz of an event.
  • wuntyphyve 30 Oct 2018 09:05:09 11,445 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    First run this morning after having a couple of weeks off. My sweet kumquat was it cold. Need winter gear. Anyone recommend some good running gloves that won't break the bank? I couldn't feel my hands after a paltry 3 miles this morning and felt like a good cry when I got home.

Also, anyone done this? www.raceatyourpace.co.uk

I signed up for 100 miles in Nov as felt I needed the motivation. Doesn't look a bad idea. Just to give me a wee boost to get out the door in the morning when it's dark / cold / shite.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 09:05:21 30-10-2018
  • freddymercurystwin 30 Oct 2018 09:29:00 1,605 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I canít wear gloves, I have to take them off after a mile or so as my hands get too hot even on super freezing runs, I favour the Nike running tops with the built in mittens, then you can Ďde-gloveí when your hands get too hot and not have to carry a pair of gloves around.

Iíve never seen much point in all those online challenges (there are dozens), you donít have to provide any evidence of you donít want to Ė you can write any old crap on the back of a fag packet and say you did it so whatís the real motivation?

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 09:36:12 30-10-2018
  • Vortex808 30 Oct 2018 09:36:26 13,070 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have some cheapie gloves from lidl/aldi. They are not the best, but do the trick.

I have reynauds' disease/syndrome/whatever the fuck it is when blood flow to finger tips is cut off, so often lose all sensation in my fingertips, so these are essential. Holding a cold steering wheel to drive is worse than the effects of cold& wind when out running sometimes though!!

On less cold days the nike sleeves with thumbholes cover enough of my hands to hold some heat and make it bearable.

I do remove gloves mid-run and run with them clutched in my mitts if my hands get too warm as they do get a smidge hot on longer runs after a while.

Edited by Vortex808 at 09:38:08 30-10-2018
  • wuntyphyve 30 Oct 2018 09:37:40 11,445 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    See I normally have really warm hands as well which is why I don't normally bother. Something seems to have changed in me. I've always had trouble with my blood circulation in my hands so maybe it's getting worse. That pain was unreal earlier.
  • wuntyphyve 30 Oct 2018 09:40:40 11,445 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:

Iíve never seen much point in all those online challenges (there are dozens), you donít have to provide any evidence of you donít want to Ė you can write any old crap on the back of a fag packet and say you did it so whatís the real motivation?
    Dunno man. It's like the times I try the Novel Writing month thing as well. Again, I can type any value in my word count each day and say I've done it, but I stil give it a proper go. My brain just responds well to incentives, no matter how trite. The fact that deep down I have committed to something, no matter how flimsy, just gives me that extra few percent to haul ass I guess. Just worried as last winter I did fuck all over 3 months and suffered badly when I started back this year.
  • askew 7 Nov 2018 10:00:48 18,650 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Does anybody have recommendations for a trail running shoe that offers some support on tarmac (i.e, running to the trails)?

I have a pair of La Sportiva Mutants, but they are pretty hardcore and are uncomfortable - not to mention unsuited - for running on pavement. I did have a pair of Innov8's ParkClaws which where OK, but the out and midsoles wore quicker than expectedÖ I thought there were a pair of Hokas that were a hybrid of sorts, but I can't find them.
  • TheJackKetch 7 Nov 2018 10:31:23 170 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @askew I saw a pair of Hoka Challenger ATR 4 trail running shoes which looked a decent pair of all rounders.
  • freddymercurystwin 7 Nov 2018 13:16:12 1,605 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have some Hoka Speedgoat 2 shoes which I've done a fair few runs/events that had tarmac and they've been fine, good traction when off road too, I understand the Hokas are a love them or hate them brand and indeed I've seen a few people in my running shop try them on to immediately dismiss them! They're really well cushioned and very light too. But IMO all of the Hoka shoes are grotesque to look at and I only bought them as I was desperate to get trail shoes one Saturday right before an event and the running shops in this area are practically non existent so I had very limited choice. Can't complain about the fit or comfort though.

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 13:16:40 07-11-2018
  • askew 7 Nov 2018 13:41:58 18,650 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The jazzier the better, I say. I've a pair of the Clifton 4 in red. Shame I've not worn them in anger: while fine standing up, as soon as I started running in them it was evident they were too small. Still need to flog them on eBay!
  • freddymercurystwin 11 Nov 2018 13:44:26 1,605 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well I have succumbed it seems, after I dropped my ageing TomTom Runner a week or so back and cracked the glass it seems to be taking ages to latch onto the GPS, so it seems Garmin is all the rage atm but having tried a 235 on in the shop I thought the strap felt a bit thin, so I've gone for a 735 instead, it's clearly got a ton of stuff I'll never need (I'll only use it for running) but the strap seems a little chunkier. Managed to find one for £205 which includes the chest strap (which will never be opened) which is only £30 more than the cheapest 235 price atm. Also I have discovered Snow and Rock, Runners Need & Cotswold Outdoor (because they're all the same company) price match in-store including Amazon.

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 13:45:21 11-11-2018
  • wuntyphyve 11 Nov 2018 13:48:41 11,445 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin didnít know about the price matching. Thatís decent. Thereís a runners need near me but I must confess always going to Run4it as the service is brilliant.
  • freddymercurystwin 19 Nov 2018 15:13:25 1,605 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So if anyone wants an entry level GPS running watch the TomTom runner is a bargain at £40 at the moment: https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/promo/blackfriday/?fbclid=IwAR3en99wUL1LdrjrDVqSRjR9wAXPsH5DwXXrNPqOgaMoVpk0Fg8AEa5Ip_k

I used one for about two years until I dropped it and smashed the glass recently but it was fine.
  • wuntyphyve 19 Nov 2018 15:47:36 11,445 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That is a good price. I wonder maybe if getting one as a back up isnt a bad idea.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 15:47:48 19-11-2018
  • DamoVotf 19 Nov 2018 16:13:41 1,443 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had a 735xt, broke after 18 months, and they did eventually replace under warranty but jsut be careful its officially only 1 year. Which is stupid for a £300 watch.
  • freddymercurystwin 23 Nov 2018 01:35:57 1,605 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Garmin watches at good prices at the minute https://www.amazon.co.uk/apb/page/ref=gbmg_mob_m-4_4ca3_5c268dd9?handlerName=OctopusDealLandingStream&deals=5c268dd9&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&dealid=5c268dd9&pf_rd_p=1084fbd4-59cf-443e-be4f-6b7e5f1a4ca3&pf_rd_s=mobile-hybrid-4&pf_rd_t=30901&pf_rd_i=161428031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=D2F6EHRDHM2KT6AK5M0R
  • docrob 24 Nov 2018 22:44:43 1,120 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Totally forgot to post here, but I did my first half marathon last week (Conwy). Managed to squeeze home in under 2 hours, which was a pretty big deal for me as Iíd only run that kind of distance very slowly before.

I couldnít stand up that evening though.
  • freddymercurystwin 25 Nov 2018 00:21:30 1,605 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Good man well done! That's the way all first HM's should be! When's the next one?
  • wuntyphyve 29 Nov 2018 09:12:29 11,445 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well. That 100 miles thing I signed up for at the start of the month. Really helped me get out there if I'm honest. Just did the final 9 miles last night. It just helped with that extra bit of motivation to run. Especially as week 2 into 3 I had a shitty cold and felt crap as it was sub zero outside. I think in other circumstances I would have struggled to get back out and do any decent mileage after that, but because I had this thing at the back of my mind I made sure I got out there. Some of the runs were pretty tough as I was hacking up globs of throat jam but I definitely feel the benefit from doing it, as well as motivated to keep running into December. May sign up for another one.

Just thought I'd share. I can actually recommend it to someone like myself who is quite happy to talk himself out of going for a run at any given opportunity.
  • freddymercurystwin 10 Dec 2018 01:16:00 1,605 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Interesting article, https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/how-slowing-down-can-help-you-speed-up?utm_content=buffer85e70&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer I wonder how many of us could slow down? I might give it a whirl. Already booked 2 HM's for Jan/Feb, might see if I can find one to do every month.
  • Vortex808 19 Dec 2018 09:54:49 13,070 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    Interesting article, https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/how-slowing-down-can-help-you-speed-up?utm_content=buffer85e70&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer I wonder how many of us could slow down? I might give it a whirl. Already booked 2 HM's for Jan/Feb, might see if I can find one to do every month.
    I can't slow down, I tend to have a general pace I run at and that's about it. A bit faster when I am pushing it, but that's it. I should really try that though and see if I can. I think I looked at that a while back and I'd need to be doing about 6:00 or 5:45 per km, which seems really slow.

Even when I am out with our work's running group it still tends to average about 5:30 keeping a pace for the slower runners.

Maybe one to try once we're by xmas after the mince pies and turkey feasting take a toll?
  • askew 30 Dec 2018 13:06:27 18,650 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fuck me. Went out for my first run since October this morning, and was huffing and puffing like a 60 year old smoker. Crazy how quickly sport-specific fitness falls off Ė I thought I'd been maintaining some sort of aerobic training with the bike workoutsÖ

Bought myself a pair of those Hoka Challengers in the SportsShoes.com sale Ė†I like.
  • thenastypasty 30 Dec 2018 13:16:03 5,228 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It soon comes back though...I had 8 weeks off the running because of injuries and after 2-3 weeks of solid training im back to where I was.

Xmas has been ace, the weather has been kind and Iíve run every other day. Done 28 miles this week.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.