Running Page 79

• freddymercurystwin 30 Dec 2018 17:25:05 1,640 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've done nothing since the 22nd, except pile on the pounds (actually probably about a stone) for a couple of days now I've been telling myself I'll get back to some kind of healthy approach to eating and go for a run, it won't be today or tomorrow though and I have another week off work which will mean a scatterbrained approach to eating etc.
  • freddymercurystwin 14 Jan 2019 10:04:29 1,640 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ugh, first HM of the season the yesterday, Oh My Obelisk in Devon, about 2h.19 but 1600ft elevation ao bloody hard work and not a lot of fun, my own fault, a lack of exercise and eating crap over the festive period! Am losing my running mojo a bit guys! :( Goddamn New Year blues!
  • Vortex808 14 Jan 2019 11:14:58 13,177 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you're losing your mojo, take a wee bit of time off. I've been running for 20-odd years and was getting seriously fed up a few years back. Took a year off a year or so back and just ran when I felt like it, using mostly rowing to maintain some fitness.

After a break I am really enjoying running far more these days. I also joined a running group at work and the social runs are great fun, and help mix things up more. It also helps to mix up routes, and paces, since usually I'd do them at a slower pace than I usually would, so I'm not just ploughing on at my usual pace.

If I try to stick with the faster folk, then that helps too, albeit it hurts more at the time! ;-)
  • KnuttinAtoll 14 Jan 2019 11:20:04 7,134 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm on the other end of the spectrum - would love to get back into running but still suffering from Plantar Fasciitis. Not done a lot of exercise over the past months so fitness wise have to start from scratch (which to be fair happens every winter unfortunately despite my best intentions).

Think I'll just get back into it slowly and see how it goes. Read that as long as you ease yourself into without over-doing things it should be ok.
  • Saucy 14 Jan 2019 19:39:39 2,770 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kids and a dodgy hamstring have severely hampered my running over the past few years. Hoping 2019 will be the year I find some consistency again.

For me the mojo has always been there, and I’ve found not being able to run much pretty deflating.
  • freddymercurystwin 12 Feb 2019 14:13:48 1,640 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well I did my second HM of this year last Saturday, Exeter and a little under 2hrs so pretty typical for me. Next one booked for 2 March a night trail run so gonna be a bit different! On track so far for my (loose) plan of doing one a month this year.
  • askew 12 Feb 2019 16:16:15 19,062 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    At least 20 minutes faster than your last – good progress!`

Edited by askew at 16:16:32 12-02-2019
  • freddymercurystwin 12 Feb 2019 17:33:04 1,640 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hmm kind of, it was 2 minutes slower than the same one last year and about 6mins slower than my PB for any HM. The one in January was hell and hilly after the Xmas food fest and hardly any exercise for a couple of weeks.
  • Vortex808 12 Feb 2019 19:47:33 13,177 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Went out for a run with folk from work tonight & took an impressive header whilst on it. 😞

Stupid pavement monster poking up paving slabs and stupid me for not lifting my feet more. Got some impressive grazes on my hands, elbow shoulder & hip. I tried to style it out with a forward roll a la Deckard1, but only managed a single, not double roll. 😉

Missus has made me get a covering on so i don't get blood on the sofa.
  • elstoof 12 Feb 2019 19:56:43 23,137 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ouch! I did that a few months ago, got a single forward roll in too as I styled it out in front of the teenage girls walking towards me
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Feb 2019 20:05:08 6,028 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I did one a few years ago, there was probably only two frames of animation where I was actually on the floor (pride actually came at the same time as a fall) and it was only when I got home I took stock of fucked ribs and broken toe. PEOPLE MUST NOT KNOW I AM HUMAN
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Feb 2019 20:13:17 10,692 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    When over exercising meets undiagnosed dyspraxia.
  • Vortex808 12 Feb 2019 20:36:39 13,177 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    I did one a few years ago, there was probably only two frames of animation where I was actually on the floor (pride actually came at the same time as a fall) and it was only when I got home I took stock of fucked ribs and broken toe. PEOPLE MUST NOT KNOW I AM HUMAN
    Ouch. Definitely worse than my spill.

I did continue for another 5k without letting on, cos pride, obvs. 😀

At least I didn't knacker my legs since they are prone to falling apart as it is.

TCP is a stingy motherfucker.
  • Vortex808 12 Feb 2019 21:55:13 13,177 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Ouch! I did that a few months ago, got a single forward roll in too as I styled it out in front of the teenage girls walking towards me
    😃 Were they impressed by your gymnastic prowess?
  • elstoof 12 Feb 2019 22:09:07 23,137 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They looked more concerned about the blood pouring from my knee and elbow as I ran past tbh. Fucking San Francisco pavement
  • Jono62 26 Feb 2019 20:24:44 22,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Going to enter the Kingston Raceday.

https://www.kingstonraceday.com/

Not sure whether to do the 8 or 16 mile run.
  • Flying_Pig 26 Feb 2019 20:44:43 16,167 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I got roped in to entering the London Vitality half marathon in a few weeks. Fortunately I've done a few half marathons and 10ks before, so I'v got a decent enough training regime.

I'm probably about 2 weeks behind where I'd like to be, but did 15km on Sunday and achieved a 5km PB this morning.

I've no concerns about finishing it, but bizarrely I seem to be the quickest of the people I've entered with so now feel some pretty to come first out of the group and also set a respectable time.

My HM PB is 1:59, and I was due to run one last March, but it was cancelled due to snow where I was aiming for around 1:55. That seems like a stretch this time around, but we'll see how I get on :)
  • askew 27 Feb 2019 21:29:36 19,062 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You'll do it ;)

I'm feeling pretty disheartened at how quickly my running-specific aerobic fitness just fell away between mid-October and January. I'd been taking up the slack with cycling, but I'm back to the same pace I was running this time last year. And finding it hard-going! :x
  • Saucy 28 Feb 2019 16:05:33 2,770 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can very much empathise with that! I can’t seem to string any consistency together. One month of improvements written off by one month of hardly getting out.

Decided to take the tried and tested middle aged approach, and spend some money on new kit in the hope hope it’ll get me out the door! 😬

Edited by Saucy at 16:05:56 28-02-2019
  • wuntyphyve 28 Feb 2019 16:17:46 12,225 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yup. Same here too. Been out less in Feb than normal and I'm shite again already. Got a half coming up a week on Sunday and I'll be lucky to get close to the time I was hoping for.
  • freddymercurystwin 28 Feb 2019 17:26:59 1,640 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's depressing how quickly fitness can fall off, you'll be fine though, I have a night HM on Saturday evening, should be a little different, I've run after dark plenty though never a trail run or an event.
  • Flying_Pig 2 Mar 2019 14:47:38 16,167 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So the MP3 player I use for running has finally given up (this one) and I've been looking for some reasonable bluetooth earphones. The problem seems to be is that they're either really expensive or from brands I've never heard of.

Can anyone recommend some reasonable bluetooth earphones for (ideally) under £50?
  • freddymercurystwin 2 Mar 2019 15:35:43 1,640 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I use one of the Sony MP3 players that's built in to the earphones.
  • BurnoutJunkie 2 Mar 2019 18:41:46 1,120 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin Flying_Pig linked one of those:

LINK

I had no idea that these exist, looks pretty neat! Such a shame these aren't bluetooth earphones also.
  • Flying_Pig 2 Mar 2019 22:27:45 16,167 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Went for these in the end.

I've had Betron earphones before and they've been great for the money

Edited by Flying_Pig at 22:28:02 02-03-2019
  • wuntyphyve 3 Mar 2019 12:20:30 12,225 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They look really good and cheap! Been thinking about headphones for a while now and may get a pair. Getting a bit bored on my long runs ha ha.
  • Flying_Pig 3 Mar 2019 18:26:53 16,167 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Went for these in the end.

I've had Betron earphones before and they've been great for the money
    They arrived earlier - I've not tried them yet, but they look good and feel sufficiently robust :)
  • freddymercurystwin 3 Mar 2019 18:51:20 1,640 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well my night HM was a bit crap last night, the signage was a bit crap so I went wrong and ended up doing an extra 2 miles before I should have turned (as there were multiple distance races going at the same time) so then did a loop and I should have done another loop to get to the HM distance, I was too knackered to face the extra distance so didn't bother doing the additional loop, so in conclusion I did 11 miles, if I'd done the extra loop it would have been 16 so screw that. At least a few others made the same mistake so glad it wasn't just me.
  • Saucy 4 Mar 2019 20:40:31 2,770 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin Sounds poor from the organisers! I’ve heard of a few things like this when different distances are on offer. For critical points, you’d think they’d put a marshal there.

My only real experience of night trail running was a few years ago. Found the constant focusing on the light from headtorch tough on my eyes. Wouldn’t have fancied 16 miles either.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.