Running Page 85

• wuntyate 9 Mar 2020 23:42:43 14,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Flying_Pig It's all relative! I still think even finishing these things at all is an achievement. I actually wanted to give up about a third in, I just really wasn't enjoying it. Only settled into my stride after mile 8. Struggled up till then.
  • wuntyate 9 Mar 2020 23:45:05 14,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @monkman76 Cheers! Right then, last one to a sub 1:30 buys the biscuits...
  • AccidentProne 10 Mar 2020 07:46:17 1,363 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well done Wunty. I'm still chasing that 1:30 time, but the older I get, the less likely it seems to be achievable.

Only managed 1:42 in Cambridge at the weekend, but am happy enough with that considering the lack of training for this one. Also, a bottle of wine the night before probably wasn't optimal pre-race fueling...
  • wuntyate 10 Mar 2020 11:14:21 14,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @AccidentProne Ha that's bloody good going. I'd be lucky to get finished at all if I had a bottle of wine the night before!
  • Jono62 10 Mar 2020 11:37:51 24,753 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Need to get back into running, but I've had a niggling knee problem for a while. Enjoy running.
  • Vortex808 10 Mar 2020 19:23:26 13,751 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've just bought some cushioned sole compression socks after having issues with morton's neuroma for the last half year.

I'm not quite sure what this says about me.

Apart from the fact that I'm getting old and falling to bits...

Edited by Vortex808 at 19:23:37 10-03-2020
  • Nanocrystal 10 Mar 2020 21:35:24 2,046 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Need to get back into running, but I've had a niggling knee problem for a while. Enjoy running.
    Injuries fucking suck. I'm just getting back into it after about 5 months off with hamstring problems. Ran 2.5k this morning (slowly) and it seems ok. Increasing my distance bit by bit. Been doing some cross training on the bike and rower but it's just not the same as a good run.
  • freddymercurystwin 3 Apr 2020 10:56:34 2,052 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-52118107

I obviously make the effort to social distance myself from others when out running at the moment but it would be nice if just now and then a pedestrian made some effort. In maybe 200 encounters with pedestrians in the last few weeks I can think of only 3 occasions where pedestrians actually stood in a driveway or paused at a narrowing or whatever. Heck some wonít even deviate off the centre of the footpath of a really wide pavement when you go past.

On a random happy note my run last night happened to coincide precisely with this 8pm clap for the NHS thing when I ran through town, so much applause, felt great. :) I might try and work that into future runs.
  • askew 3 Apr 2020 11:25:36 21,302 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lizzie Melling, from Avon Crescent, said it makes her feel "uncomfortable and worried".
    Get a grip, Lizzie.
  • mrpon 3 Apr 2020 11:27:43 36,117 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    On a random happy note my run last night happened to coincide precisely with this 8pm clap for the NHS thing when I ran through town, so much applause, felt great. :) I might try and work that into future runs.
    :D this is great, I hope you held your arms up and acknowledged!
  • wuntyate 3 Apr 2020 11:51:48 14,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-52118107

I obviously make the effort to social distance myself from others when out running at the moment but it would be nice if just now and then a pedestrian made some effort. In maybe 200 encounters with pedestrians in the last few weeks I can think of only 3 occasions where pedestrians actually stood in a driveway or paused at a narrowing or whatever. Heck some wonít even deviate off the centre of the footpath of a really wide pavement when you go past.

Yup. Out this morning. Saw an older lady on the pavement so I did what I usually do and after checking for traffic went right out into nearly the middle of the road. As I draw nearer she stops, looks both ways, looks at me, sees me, and proceeds to walk across the road at the same time I'm drawing near, meaning she ended up brushing past me.

What the actual fuck is wrong with people.

Spent the rest of the run making maximum effort to avoid people and was it reciprocated even once? Was it hell. Fucking idiots.
  • DJCopa 3 Apr 2020 11:53:38 2,243 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    :D this is great, I hope you held your arms up and acknowledged!
    Brilliant - Like that french guy who races trams, long jumps into builders gravel pits, etc.
  • Goban 3 Apr 2020 14:04:40 10,071 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just started running again for the first time in nearly 20 years, any tips so I don't injure myself?
  • askew 3 Apr 2020 14:19:11 21,302 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Take it easier than you think.
    Stretch more than you think
  • Goban 3 Apr 2020 14:25:19 10,071 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What I figured.
    On my third day did about 4 miles. Feel ok so far.
  • 8bitMofo 3 Apr 2020 14:26:57 774 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    Just started running again for the first time in nearly 20 years, any tips so I don't injure myself?
    Wait another year
  • freddymercurystwin 3 Apr 2020 14:36:04 2,052 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    What I figured.
    On my third day did about 4 miles. Feel ok so far.
    You're in absolutely classic 'I haven't run for 20 years this is all fine' injury territory there, all of a sudden one day running your knee or something might go and you'll plod home on said knee, buggering the other one in the process as you compensate thinking 'tis but a scratch' and you'll be limping for weeks/months. And a trip to the GP for some decent antihistamines may not be so easy atm.

Oh and only run down the centre of the road and at 3am so as to not upset any delicate pedestrians.
  • Goban 3 Apr 2020 14:40:38 10,071 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fair enough, I take your point.

No one to meet here, last 3 days not a soul. Which probably means I'll end up dieing in a ditch.

I'm fairly fit already as I swim, walk a lot and cycle. I just don't have access to sea or bike and I need to do something more intensive than walking.
  • Murbs 3 Apr 2020 15:04:43 24,741 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've got the Cotswold Way up the road where I do much of my running (love those trails). Bit too far to run to at the moment (I usually drive up) so I'm stuck with running on the relative flat.

Gorgeous part of the country to run though:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeOAabRHoZr/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BbtUX_BHll7/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BljKA6RFWU1/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp_symfgsaI/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BtYOX-Zgr6q/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B4aZ1SBAaNM/

Anyone else going to share some pics of their favourite runs?

Edited by Murbs at 15:05:55 03-04-2020
  • Goban 3 Apr 2020 15:19:20 10,071 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Cotswolds are lovely, quite busy though.
  • Vortex808 3 Apr 2020 15:43:49 13,751 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:

Yup. Out this morning. Saw an older lady on the pavement... As I draw nearer she stops, looks both ways, looks at me, sees me, and proceeds to walk across the road at the same time I'm drawing near, meaning she ended up brushing past me.

What the actual fuck is wrong with people.

Spent the rest of the run making maximum effort to avoid people and was it reciprocated even once? Was it hell. Fucking idiots.
    This sounds all too familiar. I always try to give folk much more room now, but others just don't care. I am actively avoiding a few pinch points around town just now because its been so common.

Some cyclists are being a bit daft too. It seems to be the 'not very often on a bike' cycling types. They seem to need to stay right on the left of the road as they normally would, despite the streets being virtually empty so you have loads of room to shift over to give the 2m space. Others (adults) cycling on the same fucking pavement as folk who are walking. On a proper pavement too, not even a merged pavement/cyclepath.
  • freddymercurystwin 3 Apr 2020 15:48:52 2,052 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Vortex808 God yea me too, a couple of numpty cyclist out the other day when I was running, riding on the pavemnts when the roads are dead and not big pavements either the idiots and then some cyclist riding in the gutter sandwiching me between them and a pedestrian, you have the whole road to go wide of me now muppet!

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 15:49:24 03-04-2020
  • JoeBlade 16 May 2020 15:02:54 4,882 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've started running again fairly regularly and I have this strange thing going on since. I'm not sure it's directly related but it's the only cause I can think of: when I'm running and occasionally during other activities (e.g. simply when getting up from a sitting position) I get this burning sensation in my groin area. Nothing painful, just unpleasant.

It spreads from the base of my scrotum throughout my groin and the very upper part of my inner thigh. I also only have this on the right side, the left side feels perfectly fine.
    Most of the time the right side feels perfectly fine as well, just when I go running - and again, sometimes during other activities - it starts to come back after a while.

Anyone ever experience this? Should I be worried? I'm considering quitting running again for a while to see if it helps but it would be a shame to do so if it is actually unrelated.
    Moreover, I don't really feel like doing so while I'm without a job, it's one of the few things that keep me busy.
  • askew 16 May 2020 16:20:35 21,302 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Chafing?
  • JoeBlade 16 May 2020 16:24:39 4,882 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I doubt it very much.

There's no colouration or visible skin damage whatsoever and it doesn't feel like it's coming from the top layer of my skin either. Instead it feels like it's originating at least a couple of millimetres below that.

Also, the non-running actions that also trigger it don't add up. And I'd expect it to have at least some of it on the left side as well in that case.
  • retro74 17 May 2020 21:47:15 3,185 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I used to post on this thread occasionally but stopped running about 5 years ago. All my spare time Iíve spent playing or practicing golf since then

With no golf allowed I tentatively went back out running in mid April, first run only two miles and it was tortuous, didnít think I could continue with it ☹️

Today I managed my old 5 mile route in 44.54, much slower that I used to run but I was really chuffed, hopefully I can keep it going 😀
  • Mola_Ram 23 May 2020 07:28:50 23,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am running regularly for the first time in ages. It's only every second day at the moment, but the runs are (very slowly) getting easier in terms of cardio.

Shame about my knees, though. That's the hardest bit of it by far.
  • Nanocrystal 23 May 2020 08:14:17 2,046 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ran
  • Mola_Ram 23 May 2020 08:55:15 23,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I did, yes. Arms flailing around in the air.
  • sport 23 May 2020 10:04:37 15,859 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I hope its part of a "challenge". Not really worth doing otherwise.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.