Running Page 86

• askew 23 May 2020 10:24:49 21,552 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @JoeBlade Any improvement? If not Ė and I know it's not the best time for it - probably one for the GP.
  • General_Martok 23 May 2020 10:27:28 1,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I am running regularly for the first time in ages. It's only every second day at the moment, but the runs are (very slowly) getting easier in terms of cardio.

Shame about my knees, though. That's the hardest bit of it by far.
    Have you tried strength training your legs? Might help with the knees.
  • David_Richardson 23 May 2020 10:47:53 1,304 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I am running regularly for the first time in ages. It's only every second day at the moment, but the runs are (very slowly) getting easier in terms of cardio.

Shame about my knees, though. That's the hardest bit of it by far.
    I have similar issues. This may help you.
  • freddymercurystwin 24 May 2020 10:44:49 2,172 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    First run for a few weeks and considerable weight gain, could just manage 4.5m at a pace of 11.24 including walking a couple of times at the end of the hills (there are always bastard hills on my routes). I've never been a fast runner but Holy Shit. Depressing but good to get back out there.
  • retro74 24 May 2020 12:08:02 3,257 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Some chap I work with in his 50s that runs marathons told me not to worry about pace when you start back at it. Reckons the quickest way to get fit is longer runs at a slower pace which makes sense to me

I've done just over 90 miles total since I started back running in mid April and it's not been easy at all. I buy myself a little reward every 50 miles so not far off my second :)
  • freddymercurystwin 24 May 2020 12:54:03 2,172 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm not too pissed about it, it was still 11.24/mile quicker than sitting on me sofa! :)
  • freddymercurystwin 1 Jun 2020 18:49:33 2,172 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well two more runs completed since my last post, starting to get less laboured thank god and finally managed to get round without walking at all today and in this bastard heat so quite pleased. Pace down to 10.42, walking pace to some but OK for me. :)

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 18:50:31 01-06-2020
  • freddymercurystwin 5 Jun 2020 00:32:15 2,172 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dropped my pace down to 10.18 today, seeing it drop is giving me some vital motivation, I don't think it will be long before it levels out although my pace was consistently around 8.40 for a while back in the day so who knows.
  • docrob 5 Jun 2020 00:48:22 1,574 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-52118107

I obviously make the effort to social distance myself from others when out running at the moment but it would be nice if just now and then a pedestrian made some effort. In maybe 200 encounters with pedestrians in the last few weeks I can think of only 3 occasions where pedestrians actually stood in a driveway or paused at a narrowing or whatever. Heck some wonít even deviate off the centre of the footpath of a really wide pavement when you go past.

Yup. Out this morning. Saw an older lady on the pavement so I did what I usually do and after checking for traffic went right out into nearly the middle of the road. As I draw nearer she stops, looks both ways, looks at me, sees me, and proceeds to walk across the road at the same time I'm drawing near, meaning she ended up brushing past me.

What the actual fuck is wrong with people.

Spent the rest of the run making maximum effort to avoid people and was it reciprocated even once? Was it hell. Fucking idiots.
    I was out last week and there was a lady running slowly on the pavement, with a man cycling beside her in the road. Between them they were blocking an amazing amount of space. I ended up yelling Ďcoming up behindí at them just so I didnít have to run on the opposite side of the road.
  • freddymercurystwin 8 Jun 2020 19:34:52 2,172 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ooh pace down to 9.58/mile today, happy with that! :)
  • retro74 8 Jun 2020 21:04:50 3,257 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thatís a great improvement in not much time at all, youíll get down to your old times not problem at this rate

I did my Sunday 5 miler in 43 minutes and a bit which is not too bad. Miles 4 and 5 were 8:06 and 8:17 so definitely moving in the right direction

I have to say that Iím happy to be running again but I donít exactly look forward to it, for some reason Iím worried about getting round the route even though Iíve done it for weeks now - weird
  • freddymercurystwin 10 Jun 2020 18:10:04 2,172 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @retro74 Thanks it's getting there, losing a few pounds each week is helping too, sounds like you, 8.06 is a great pace the likes of which I've never got close to.

Random musing: when one's pace gets to a certain level and plateaus is it down to genetics, how you're built or similar or is it all about dedication/will etc? Form me I know that if I run more than three times a week my knees begin to play up so I've generally kept it two a week, I'm highly jealous of those who can literally run every day.
  • retro74 10 Jun 2020 20:16:35 3,257 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin They were weekend miles which are always much faster for some reason. Maybe sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day isn't conducive to decent pace? The run I've just got back from was 4.8 miles and all my splits were within 3 seconds of 8:45

In terms of certain levels and plateaus I think weight must play a massive role, when I used to do my miles sub 8 minutes I was 12 stone 13 lb at one point, now I'm nearly 2 stone heavier than that - clearly I'm not going to be as quick as I was

If I could lose that weight again I'd be confident of running those times despite being 45 now
  • freddymercurystwin 11 Jun 2020 20:43:41 2,172 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Down to 9.51 today, plateauing is only one or two runs away! :(
  • smoothpete 15 Jun 2020 06:48:06 36,988 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Can anyone recommend a marathon training plan? Not aiming for a particular time, but Iím not a beginner either. I just want to finish the fucker without dying. There are so many plans out there so wondered if anyone had used one they would recommend
  • General_Martok 15 Jun 2020 07:43:27 1,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Adidas do a training plan for marathons. I haven't used it but I'm using a 12 week strength training plan from them which seems pretty good.

Use the adidas training app or runtastic to get to it.

Good luck!
  • AccidentProne 15 Jun 2020 08:14:17 1,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I generally use either the Chester Marathon or Bupa intermediate plans and have got PBs following both in the past. They're pretty similar, but I tend to alternate between parkrun or cycling for Saturdays.

https://www.activeleisureevents.co.uk/media/2951/chester-marathon-2020-improver-training-schedule.pdf
    https://assets.bupa.co.uk/~/media/images/healthmanagement/pdfs/marathon-intermediate.pdf

Edited by AccidentProne at 08:15:15 15-06-2020
  • Not-a-reviewer 15 Jun 2020 08:18:56 6,306 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Did my first ever non stop 20 minute run in my life yesterday. Iíve never been able to do distance running at all but am finally getting there.

Iím hoping that within a month or two 5k is going to seem like a short run. Itís just really boring but podcasts and audiobooks seem to be working for me.
  • mikew1985 15 Jun 2020 10:09:29 14,754 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm back into running properly for the first time since God knows when. I could go back in this thread to find my old posts for a rough idea.

The last 8 years or so have been a mixture of gym and football with the odd park run. When lock down came in I went for a run after about 3 weeks of no activity and struggled for a sub 25 minute 5 k but have since brought it below 22.5 minutes.

It's amazing how quick I got fully back in though, running 5 times a week 5 - 6k, maybe the odd longer run on weekends. Losing little to no weight though :(

Probably all the beer and chocolate. I'd say I'm about 7kg heavier at 91 of kg than when I set my pbs of sub 21 minutes but that's largely gym weight that's slowly transferred to fat weight since the baby. This might be the best bet to finally drop sub 90kg in years.
  • General_Martok 15 Jun 2020 13:00:23 1,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sub 25 minutes 5k after 8 years of not running?! That's flipping impressive!

I haven't managed to get back to 25 minutes and I've been trying for 3 years. I keep getting injured.

Down to 29 mins but my hamstring's a little strained now so going to rest it for a few days.
  • retro74 15 Jun 2020 13:24:46 3,257 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I agree that is impressive. Even when I was running all the time my best 5k was only 22:08 although I never actually ran for times, I just noticed it on my app one day and thought it was quite good :)
  • papalazar0u 15 Jun 2020 13:54:14 169 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @smoothpete I was due to do Manchester Marathon in April (currently deferred to October but can't see that happening). It's my first marathon and like you, was just attempting to get round in one piece but based on how I run, I think 4hr 45m was achievable.

I didn't follow a detailed plan as such as I couldn't commit to specific days/miles running per week and I just needed to something to fit around me/kids/work etc, so just spoke to some marathon running mates who said to take my time getting reasonably comfortable to 18-20 miles runs about 4 weeks before, then tapering down to the day.

I was on track to do this, was naturally quite nervous about it but confident I could have got round on the day, even if I had to walk/run in the last few miles.

Hope this helps.
  • mikew1985 15 Jun 2020 14:27:17 14,754 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    General_Martok wrote:
    Sub 25 minutes 5k after 8 years of not running?! That's flipping impressive!

I haven't managed to get back to 25 minutes and I've been trying for 3 years. I keep getting injured.

Down to 29 mins but my hamstring's a little strained now so going to rest it for a few days.
    Ah I was still playing football twice a week recently as well as the odd run (in weeks where football was off). I also played 11 aside up until the baby arrived in late 2018 so it's not quite as dramatic as doing nothing for 8 years!

I've always been able to hit around 4 and half minutes or less per km. I was doing sub 45 minute 10ks on the regular 8 or so years ago.

Edit: I just checked back in the thread and it was over 10years ago but apparently I did a PB busting sub 42 minute 10k sometime in March 2010. Jesus I'm getting old.

Edited by mikew1985 at 14:42:47 15-06-2020
  • mikew1985 16 Jun 2020 13:26:24 14,754 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just got my first sub 22 minute 5k there 21 54. Honestly didn't set out to do it as I thought that barrier was a few weeks away to be honest. My best previous time was probably 22 28 a week or so back and I'd been kind to myself on my last three runs.

Absolutely pelting sweat after it and definitely could not have kept up that pace much longer but still pretty happy with that. I need to try to build distance now again.
  • freddymercurystwin 17 Jun 2020 00:07:13 2,172 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You bastards, I'm struggling round ATM to get sub 10min miles! Hot today though so that's my excuse.
  • mikew1985 17 Jun 2020 11:28:58 14,754 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah I say fair play to anyone getting out to run. I'm a bit competitive (my wife and friends might enhance that language a bit) and I'm especially motivated to compete with myself.

It's a bit of a pain as I often set out to just do a "nice 5 or 6k", immediately get in my own head and unnecessarily push myself. I'm going to try to take it easier on my run tomorrow and Friday to give my lungs a bit of a break.
  • mikew1985 20 Jun 2020 18:50:09 14,754 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice 7k this afternoon, weather was the perfect blend of sunny with a breeze.

I am absolutely shattered now though, not sure particularly why but I'll enjoy the beers this evening anyway (before falling asleep).

For now, I'll try to keep the notions alive of playing tlou2 after the missus goes to bed.

Edited by mikew1985 at 18:50:47 20-06-2020
  • freddymercurystwin 20 Jun 2020 19:26:06 2,172 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've just got back from my regular run, pace not improving at all which is a bit depressing even though I'm losing weight, weird because it felt slightly quicker but obviously not.
  • dinosherlock 20 Jun 2020 19:59:09 9 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I wanna start running and I got a fun little app, when you run you hear a story about zombies and you have a mission and sometimes zombies attack and you need to run faster for a short period of time or you'll "die"
  • Vortex808 20 Jun 2020 20:25:26 13,856 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    I've just got back from my regular run, pace not improving at all which is a bit depressing even though I'm losing weight, weird because it felt slightly quicker but obviously not.
    Try mixing things up?

I've taken a few weeks off running which i do all year round. I've been mostly cycling, bit of weights and rowing on the side. First run in 3 wks yesterday was good. Faster, and a nice change from the last few weeks.

Thighs hurt a bit mind. 😃

Cycling and squats definitely don't get all the muscles running uses! 😃

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.