Running Page 87

• wuntyate 20 Jun 2020 22:39:31 14,926 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin don't focus on your pace too much. I got hung up on it a few years back. The last three months my running has been shit.. Well, for me anyway (I'm down to 7:40), and I started to think why bother. Then I asked myself apart from my pace, why bother. The mental good. The physical good regardless of pace. The air. The quiet. Etc etc.

In the days of garmins and Strava its so easy to get hung up on it. My advice is do a week without thinking about it.

Go out, run and enjoy it.

I'm only mentioning my time to show it's all relative. A few years back i would be over the moon with that time. Don't beat yourself up.

Edited by wuntyate at 22:39:57 20-06-2020
  • up_the_ante 20 Jun 2020 23:01:56 1,364 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It was when I started recording times and distances that I got Achilles tendinitis. Had to stop running completely for several weeks to let it heal. Now Iím just back to running without any targets again.
  • mikew1985 21 Jun 2020 00:22:49 14,754 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    up_the_ante wrote:
    It was when I started recording times and distances that I got Achilles tendinitis. Had to stop running completely for several weeks to let it heal. Now Iím just back to running without any targets again.
    It's an absolute pain of an injury. Got it, bizarrely after a knock playing football while going up for a header which I thought had jarred my knee.

Took me weeks to really figure out where the injury was, muscles around my ankle and shins along with continuing to play meant I didn't get diagnosed for a while. Not much you can do about it though.
  • RichDC 26 Jun 2020 19:05:10 8,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Really happy at the moment. Not anywhere near the distances I was doing a few months ago but this week I've been for two runs and its the first time post-covid (or at what felt like covid but I couldn't get tested for at the time) where I haven't had pain in the lungs during the run. Seen a number of others on twitter reporting the same symptoms and recovery time, so seems like I can get back into things properly now. :D
  • askew 26 Jun 2020 19:17:40 21,552 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Stretch those calves, runners.
  • Nanocrystal 8 Jul 2020 01:05:29 2,124 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just recently managed to run 10k in under an hour. This has been a seemingly unachievable goal of mine for several years, so I'm pretty chuffed. And with a sore hamstring too.
  • SnowmanRR 8 Jul 2020 07:27:26 193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Nanocrystal well done mate, great feeling when you achieve your goal...youíll be doing sub 60s all the time now!!
  • freddymercurystwin 14 Jul 2020 10:55:23 2,172 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Can't quite get my head round people like this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-53279653 Mind boggling!
  • Not-a-reviewer 14 Jul 2020 21:32:48 6,306 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For the first time in my life I was actually wanting to go out for runs most days. I got over enthusiastic and now I have a painful blister with some pus in it. Got antiseptic on it now and itís looking much better but itís a couple of days that I wanted to get out and run.

Iím still shit at running but Iím improving, one day I might not be incredibly slow.
  • freddymercurystwin 14 Jul 2020 21:59:44 2,172 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Not-a-reviewer those massive blister plasters work pretty well, that said I've not had many blisters through regular running but might be worth a shout. I recall the Sainsburys ones were every bit as good as the expensive Boots ones but about half the price.
  • RichDC 14 Jul 2020 22:33:15 8,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Get some Compeeds. Expensive but made of magic. Seriously, Boots or other brands don't come close.

Then learn where your shoes rub and get some zinc oxide tape to put on before you run. It's dirt cheap and good for a couple of hours.

Edited by RichDC at 22:33:28 14-07-2020
  • Nanocrystal 15 Jul 2020 05:55:44 2,124 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Two pairs of socks worked for me. Haven't had a blister since.
  • Not-a-reviewer 15 Jul 2020 07:39:03 6,306 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Itís on the inside arches of my feet, Iíve tried tightening and loosening my trainers but it seem to doesnít help and Iím not going into a shop to try on others any time soon. Tape sounds like it should do the job.
  • RichDC 22 Jul 2020 09:22:37 8,875 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Whoop! Completed my 100k in 30 days challenge this morning (day 30). Now to keep it up and bring the time down!
  • xandoodle 22 Jul 2020 12:01:06 465 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    dinosherlock wrote:
    I wanna start running and I got a fun little app, when you run you hear a story about zombies and you have a mission and sometimes zombies attack and you need to run faster for a short period of time or you'll "die"
    Literally popping in to say this is actually really fun, grab it here.

And I've been registered here for so long and never noticed this thread. How do, fellow runners? :)
  • OnlyJoeKing 22 Jul 2020 13:08:48 1,088 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Speaking of horrifying infections, does anyone else hold their breath when running past people on narrow paths?

Adds an interesting and pretty unpleasant dimension to a jog, especially if you're going at a fast pace!
  • askew 22 Jul 2020 13:12:09 21,552 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    NopeÖ
  • OnlyJoeKing 22 Jul 2020 13:13:14 1,088 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Not-a-reviewer on blisters, I used to get them all the time playing 5 a side. It's all the quick changes of direction. Two socks helped a bit, but the best thing was getting some blister powder you put in your socks before heading out. Still not absolutely perfect but seems to help a lot. The one I've got is called Blister Shield.

Compeed plasters are pretty good but that seems more of a treatment than prevention. They always fell off pretty quickly when I tried putting them on first.
  • OnlyJoeKing 22 Jul 2020 13:13:54 1,088 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @askew yeah it's probably overkill lol
  • wuntyate 22 Jul 2020 13:49:11 14,926 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RichDC wrote:
    Whoop! Completed my 100k in 30 days challenge this morning (day 30). Now to keep it up and bring the time down!
    Well done man!

My running has been very up and down. 60 miles over the last two weeks, then this week I randomly decide I can't be fucked and haven't gone out at all. Can't seem to find my rythmn again. Been like this for months.

Maybe I should drink less. Might have something to do with it...

Edited by wuntyate at 13:49:41 22-07-2020
  • freddymercurystwin 22 Jul 2020 14:19:04 2,172 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I find having regular days when I know I'm going to go for a run helps, then it gets in the mindset. But then my target is to get back to about 70miles a month (not quite there yet).

Not directly connected but it probably usually takes me a good mile or so until I find my rhythm and I (kind of) start enjoying it. I went on a freebie fell running seminar run by Salomon and the bloke doing it, who was a crazy fell running athlete type of fella, told us even he found it a bit shit to start with and he reckoned everyone has their initial period of pain/thoughts of why am I doing this again/this is shit etc at the beginning of every run. To be fair nearly everyone in the group put their hand up when he asked if everyone felt that way to some extent.

I remember my mum always had a thing on her fridge saying 'I could achieve so much if only I could get going' or something. :)

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 14:20:08 22-07-2020
  • wuntyate 22 Jul 2020 14:39:48 14,926 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah. To be fair I always have these breaks in consistency now and again. Still makes me feel a bit shit but I know as soon as I get back out for one I'll love it again. What's also not helping is that I have the house to myself this week as my wife and child are away and it's too much of a novelty to just roll around an empty house in my underwear before and after work rather than do anything constructive.
  • mikew1985 22 Jul 2020 14:58:54 14,754 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I still hate the start of the run or the start of a match or a game of 7 aside.

Although it's not the exact start it's roughly a minute in when the intitial spring is a little less springy and the breathing needs to adjust. God it's awful.

If you can get through the first 1.5km it's all good.
  • JoeBlade 22 Jul 2020 15:05:20 5,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    OnlyJoeKing wrote:
    Speaking of horrifying infections, does anyone else hold their breath when running past people on narrow paths?
    I used to at times; now I stick to turning away from them.

It's not just corona-related but general hygiene and politeness as well, there's just too much of a chance of me accidentally propelling sweat and spittle in their general direction. Running with a face mask on isn't exactly an option...
  • mikew1985 22 Jul 2020 15:12:03 14,754 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yea, I just generally take a wide berth. Often it means stepping out onto the road but just have to be careful and check for cars/buses as needed. I also run in the cycling lane now sometimes near the house, they're very much not busy with cyclists and it allows me to avoid people/families walking.
  • wuntyate 22 Jul 2020 15:13:41 14,926 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I always move as wide as possible. On a narrow path there's no option but I'm not a particularly heavy breather and i normally just breathe through my nose if I'm passing someone.
  • freddymercurystwin 22 Jul 2020 15:30:15 2,172 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    In a similar vein how do you peeps get past groups of people you're approaching from behind if they're all blocking the pathway? Do you yell out or what? My regular run involves about a mile of sea wall with a wall one side and a sheer drop the other and often groups take up the whole path so I've developed a kind of shuffle/skid noise with my foot as I'm running to let them know someone is approaching. It amazes me that sometimes when they must have seen me (ie turned round) I still have to ask for them to let me pass.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.