Running Page 88

• mikew1985 22 Jul 2020 15:39:37 14,878 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I try to cough as I approach or make some form of noise, I have a short section where cars park on the roadside of a busy road so I have to go on the path. Today I had a headphone wobbler (wobbling from side to side on the path, not drunk) in front of me and I got partially pissed off at him adding a couple of seconds onto my time
  • JoeBlade 22 Jul 2020 15:44:40 5,245 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    No different from anyone blocking me in any circumstance: I'll wait for them to hear me coming and move aside. If they don't I'll slow down a bit as I get closer and eventually say 'Excuse me' or the likes in a loud voice.

Never been an issue, I've never even caught anyone glaring at me for doing that.
  • up_the_ante 22 Jul 2020 15:55:19 1,403 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I managed to scare a lady walking her dog yesterday evening. It was in a grassy area with no one else about and she was looking in another direction so didn't see me coming. I saw her flinch when she did notice me. I'm never sure whether to say anything or not. I have my earphones in anyway so I can't hear any reply unless I stop and pause the music, which makes it even more awkward.

I'm looking for new running shoes at the moment. My last two pair of Asics were fine but when the foam wears out at the back of the heal it's a plastic shell that digs in to your skin and makes them unusable. A bit of a design flaw because that wears out before the rubber on the sole does.
  • freddymercurystwin 22 Jul 2020 16:04:42 2,245 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @JoeBlade For sure, the old 'Excuse me' works well enough, I think I'm a bit paranoid as to how loud (or not) I'm being as I'm always wearing earphones.

I seem to frequently scare old lady's when I'm running up behind them and then pass them, always just say sorry. Maybe I should shout out before I get to them but that might be worse?

And what is with people who are walking towards you on the other side of the road and then they cross over so that you have to pass each other on the same pavement? :)
  • JoeBlade 22 Jul 2020 16:06:22 5,245 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    up_the_ante wrote:
    I'm looking for new running shoes at the moment. My last two pair of Asics were fine but when the foam wears out at the back of the heal it's a plastic shell that digs in to your skin and makes them unusable.
    Huh, that's funny, I have that exact issue with my running shoes (well, just the one actually)
    Since I don't much feel like going out for new ones with the whole corona thing - and running shoes are something I definitely want to try out before buying them so online is not really an option - I'm stretching my current ones' lifetime by putting tape on my heel.
  • up_the_ante 22 Jul 2020 16:15:49 1,403 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Eric Bellquist method of passing people seems to be rather frowned upon
  • OnlyJoeKing 23 Jul 2020 00:37:02 1,134 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    In a similar vein how do you peeps get past groups of people you're approaching from behind if they're all blocking the pathway? Do you yell out or what? My regular run involves about a mile of sea wall with a wall one side and a sheer drop the other and often groups take up the whole path so I've developed a kind of shuffle/skid noise with my foot as I'm running to let them know someone is approaching. It amazes me that sometimes when they must have seen me (ie turned round) I still have to ask for them to let me pass.
    Yeah I do that. Skid a foot along the ground when I get close. Not violently but just enough for them to hear someone's coming. Does the job!
  • OnlyJoeKing 23 Jul 2020 00:48:02 1,134 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    up_the_ante wrote: I'm looking for new running shoes at the moment. My last two pair of Asics were fine but when the foam wears out at the back of the heal it's a plastic shell that digs in to your skin and makes them unusable. A bit of a design flaw because that wears out before the rubber on the sole does.
    I got into barefoot shoes a while back. Will never, ever go back now. Cushioned soles feel really unnatural, plus there's surely much more chance of twisting your ankle on uneven terrain.

I hear they can feel a bit odd to people who aren't used to them though, and might not work for everyone's gait. Well worth a crack though imo. I have some Merrel Trail Glove 5's. I'll even buy these instead of lighter walking shoes now.
  • SnowmanRR 23 Jul 2020 07:25:10 205 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @OnlyJoeKing Iíve got some Merrelís too and agree that I would never go back. Not sure about you but I had a few injuries to begin with when getting used to a different way of running.
  • freddymercurystwin 26 Jul 2020 12:00:25 2,245 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So Garmin Connect and everything else Garmin has gone down, apparently it's been a few days already, some serious head scratching going on in their IT department no doubt, ransomware apparently and I have a big cycle ride to analise. How un-thoughtful.
  • askew 26 Jul 2020 12:17:50 21,805 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They dun' fucked up.
  • up_the_ante 27 Jul 2020 00:41:58 1,403 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The amount of companies, universities and organisations that pay out to ransomware is pretty bad. And we only hear about the tip of the iceberg. It's only going to get worse, because it works.
  • Vortex808 27 Jul 2020 09:58:03 14,021 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Garmin has been fucked since thursday.

I never realised how badly not being able to sync my runs and cycles with it, then push them on to get logged on strava would grate!

Got over it (a bit) now though! 😃
  • General_Martok 27 Jul 2020 10:20:24 1,372 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Garmin has been fucked since thursday.

I never realised how badly not being able to sync my runs and cycles with it, then push them on to get logged on strava would grate!

Got over it (a bit) now though! 😃
    You can manually upload the exercises.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046805811

Also according to that they're now syncing it's just taking awhile due to the sheer volume.

Edited by General_Martok at 10:21:40 27-07-2020
  • freddymercurystwin 27 Jul 2020 10:26:25 2,245 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sounds like a faff, I'll just wait till its all working again, it's all stored in your watch, its a third world problem. :)
  • freddymercurystwin 5 Aug 2020 20:43:42 2,245 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anyone here subscribe to Strava, I run pretty slow so pretty low down in the segments so I'm no willie waggler but since it went to subscription only I do miss it and it did add another dynamic to my post run analysis.
  • fontgeeksogood 5 Aug 2020 21:14:58 10,631 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No, but I did shit my pants at the farthest point from home at the weekend if that helps
  • freddymercurystwin 5 Aug 2020 21:40:48 2,245 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You shit your pants, do you wear pants under your running shorts then?
  • elstoof 5 Aug 2020 22:16:24 25,989 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you didnít shit your pants on strava then it didnít happen
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Aug 2020 02:03:44 10,631 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Runner's tummy is a curse guys
  • JoeBlade 6 Aug 2020 16:23:14 5,245 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Not quite running related but it'll do: since I'm stuck at home I've stopped putting on shoes and even socks on most days. I'm not used to that all, most of my life I've put on shoes every day, even when at home.

Since then, the soles of my feet really hurt at times. Will that pass eventually? Any tips for in the mean time?
  • askew 6 Aug 2020 16:26:24 21,805 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They will strengthen, yes. There are basic exercises you can do: one idea might be to put a towel on the (bathroom/kitchen) floor, sit in a chair, and pull the towel towards you with one foot at a time.
  • HelloNo 6 Aug 2020 17:10:24 2,205 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone been out running in the last few days? I keep saying to myself "Nah, its too hot" and feeling guilty.
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Aug 2020 17:49:16 10,631 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yes, I shit my pants as discussed
  • SnowmanRR 6 Aug 2020 19:00:28 205 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep, didnít have any accidents though 💩
  • Vortex808 6 Aug 2020 19:51:22 14,021 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not been running, but off for a reasonable cycle tomorrow.

I expect to not shit myself, but will update if there is any faecal seepage.
  • wuntyate 6 Aug 2020 21:22:51 15,303 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @HelloNo nah, it's too hot
  • retro74 6 Aug 2020 21:28:24 3,330 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I went on Tuesday night and tonight both at 7pm but itís a bit cooler at that time

I did not shit my pants on either run
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Aug 2020 21:30:58 10,631 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    SnowmanRR wrote:
    Yep, didnít have any accidents though 💩
    I never said it was an accident
  • JoeBlade 6 Aug 2020 21:35:38 5,245 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Real men shit someone else's pants

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.