Running Page 90

• Trowel 27 Aug 2020 23:44:37 24,424 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Re. Strava subs, there was a thread on HUKD earlier this week about how to gift yourself an annual sub for 17 by saying you live in Brazil (or a more convoluted VPN route).

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/strava-premium-ps1658-with-brazilian-vpn-for-whole-year-over-50-off-rrp-3529874
  • up_the_ante 28 Aug 2020 00:03:31 1,553 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    How is running with a pushchair even a thing? How can people run properly without moving their arms? Is this a city phenomenon where everybody has to try and do 3 things at once? The same people that eat their lunch in the supermarket then scan the wrappers as they leave?
  • freddymercurystwin 28 Aug 2020 01:20:56 2,677 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @wuntyate I was kind of surprised to find it tbh I just happened to see it advertised hence not really being prepared, I've given it some consideration, it's a fairly small event with a maximum entry of 400 doing an 11k, HM, M & Ultra which are various laps of an 11k route with staggered start times half an hour apart, so far there are 193 entries (closing date this Sunday). My limited experience of such events means there'll be little contact with others except at the start.

On a side issue I took the youngest to a waterpark today absolutely no social distancing observed!
  • wuntyate 29 Aug 2020 00:13:00 17,221 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin sounds quite a small one. You'll be the best judge on if it's safe. Go for it if it is and enjoy!
  • freddymercurystwin 31 Aug 2020 18:43:35 2,677 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Well I managed a 13m road run today without any trauma so feelling a bit more confident about my HM next weekend although it'll be more like climbing and 14.4m apparently. Tis on private land hence being possible I think. Weather prospects looking OK atm.
  • superted1974 31 Aug 2020 22:59:20 323 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    Well I managed a 13m road run today without any trauma so feelling a bit more confident about my HM next weekend although it'll be more like climbing and 14.4m apparently. Tis on private land hence being possible I think. Weather prospects looking OK atm.
    13 metres is nothing... you might really struggle with a Half Marathon....
  • wuntyate 31 Aug 2020 23:32:43 17,221 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin Nice. I ran my first HM distance for about 4 months at the weekend. Not sure why I haven't been on any long runs but I quite enjoyed it. I'm getting back into the swing of running most days. Trying to get my weekly mileage back up to around 35 miles if I can.

No events of my own lined up yet mind you, just want to try get the miles in.
  • Vortex808 1 Sep 2020 08:18:22 15,265 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My running has plummeted tbh. At the start of lockdown I was doing quite a lot, but my Morton's neuroma foot pain thing started up again, so i moved on to cycling through the summer. Just getting back to a few 5km's a week now.

It hurts- you lose fitness so quickly, my quads protest the day after despite all the cycling! Dropped to 5:15/km too, but it's coming back.
  • Stan546 1 Sep 2020 08:25:52 1,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Vortex808 I did the exact same, got the bike out over summer and let the running drop from about 26 miles a week to just the occasional 3 miles

It's truly mad how much I've lost, getting the speed back slowly, need to start upping my distances.
  • General_Martok 1 Sep 2020 09:59:50 2,296 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shouldn't you do distance first then speed?
  • Stan546 1 Sep 2020 13:44:12 1,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It depends really want you're training for, back in April / May I was in marathon training, so distance did come before speed.

Now the situation is a little different, my next race is Edinburgh Marathon in May next year, so I've decided to focus on shorter, faster runs until January next year when I'll switch back to distance.
  • wuntyate 1 Sep 2020 13:53:01 17,221 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Stan546 Done Edinburgh before? I quite fancy it next year.
  • Stan546 1 Sep 2020 14:25:42 1,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @wuntyate Nah I haven't, but I actually kind of regret signing up for it.

It you look at the actual course it's 14 miles of sea front, so very straight and boring, you spend most of the run away from any real landmarks.

It is however a pretty cool one to tick off the list, being the capital of Scotland. Its also very flat so good for setting a decent time.
  • wuntyate 1 Sep 2020 14:57:35 17,221 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Stan546 Yeah it doesn't look particularly inspiring but I quite like that it's quite flat. Still have flashbacks to Loch Ness last year. Fucking 18 mile mark hill. I may well sign up for it actually.
  • Vortex808 1 Sep 2020 16:08:17 15,265 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    :-)

wunty, in case it makes you feel better *so* many folk I know who have done Loch Ness complain about it.

So many injuries, and soo many hills. I'm not signing up for it ever.
  • wuntyate 1 Sep 2020 16:24:36 17,221 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heh, it does a little. The hill in question wasn't even as bad as I feared, but it took it out of me and it was the lesser one a couple of miles later that was the final straw. My legs just went "fuck this" and failed me. Weirdly I hit my target time dead on because my pace was slightly faster than it should have been (which would have been a contributing factor), so even though I lost time the last few miles, it didn't matter really overall.

Still. What a bastard.
  • freddymercurystwin 1 Sep 2020 16:47:08 2,677 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'd like to do a full Marathon one day and will do (and only the one just to put that nagging little objective to bed) but apart from the physical challenge I just think I'd get bored it would take so long. A HM is just kind of a big normal run time wise but a full one is like half a day
  • AccidentProne 1 Sep 2020 16:58:00 1,380 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    Heh, it does a little. The hill in question wasn't even as bad as I feared, but it took it out of me and it was the lesser one a couple of miles later that was the final straw. My legs just went "fuck this" and failed me. Weirdly I hit my target time dead on because my pace was slightly faster than it should have been (which would have been a contributing factor), so even though I lost time the last few miles, it didn't matter really overall.

Still. What a bastard.
    That's exactly what happened to me at Loch Ness, didn't really start flagging until after that bastard hill. Went up it a bit quicker than intended though, after being overtaken by my brother half way up. Assumed he'd fucked himself for the end, but he still beat me by 5 mins, bastard!
  • freddymercurystwin 2 Sep 2020 18:04:27 2,677 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Can anyone recommend some kind of easy to use Android map App that will work offline and allow me to import a GPX route? I have an upcoming HM and would like the route on my mobile, I've managed to get lost once before although that was a night event but it was no fun so I want some backup this time. I know from experience these events are not always as marked out as clearly/often as they could be and there won't be many competitors and on Dartmoor visibility can disappear in an instant, I know I should have a compass and a proper map (which I may carry anyway) but am not sure I have any skills in traditional navigation either.
  • RichDC 27 Sep 2020 15:09:31 9,108 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Whoop! Feel I'm getting back into my pre lockdown/covid stride. Completed another 100km challenge over a couple of weeks this time, with a couple of half marathons thrown in.
  • docrob 28 Sep 2020 08:35:07 1,778 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Stan546 wrote:
    @wuntyate Nah I haven't, but I actually kind of regret signing up for it.

It you look at the actual course it's 14 miles of sea front, so very straight and boring, you spend most of the run away from any real landmarks.

It is however a pretty cool one to tick off the list, being the capital of Scotland. Its also very flat so good for setting a decent time.
    As a native of Edinburgh I found this bizarre, given that the town is notoriously hilly, so I had a look. What an odd route. As you say, you start in town and run down to the coast, and then most of it is spent on the sea front.

Edinburgh parkrun is similarly odd. It starts at Cramond beach (close to where I grew up in fact) and goes along the Esplanade and back. Completely flat all the way.
  • wuntyate 28 Sep 2020 10:21:47 17,221 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RichDC Nice one! Just thinking the same this morning actually. Back up to 30 miles a week with a half marathon every Sunday morning. Feels nice I have to say. Lovely cold morning yesterday which meant I enjoyed the run a whole lot more and got a decent time in. I hate the heat. Even a bit. I lose about 10 seconds a mile if it's warm.
  • freddymercurystwin 23 Jan 2021 12:38:48 2,677 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    First run today since before Xmas and buggering my knee in a cycling 'incident'. Really don't know how it will go, I've put on about 10kg since. :(

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 12:39:27 23-01-2021
  • challenge_hanukkah 23 Jan 2021 13:07:34 14,208 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did you hit a pedestrian while riding on the pavement?
  • up_the_ante 23 Jan 2021 13:27:17 1,553 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've got a pair of running gloves but even they've not been warm enough recently. There's nothing worse than having freezing hands. So I've had to switch the the old Thinsulates from the back of the cupboard. Not very sexy but do the job. Also I use my phone for music, so skipping tracks or anything now requires stopping, taking gloves off and all that. At least I haven't slipped and fallen on my arse yet.
  • freddymercurystwin 23 Jan 2021 13:43:28 2,677 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @challenge_hanukkah No I was riding my wife's fold-up E-bike impressing the sprogs with my sliding techniques and there may have been some alcohol involved! No pedestrians were harmed.
  • Stan546 23 Jan 2021 14:06:25 1,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @up_the_ante I usually find my hands are OK after I hit 5kish - but even this latest cold spell I've been keeping them on for longer runs.

Even had to invest in a running goody it's that cold.

Sure it wasn't this bad last year
  • freddymercurystwin 23 Jan 2021 18:26:49 2,677 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Well that was OK considering, did my usual distance/route and the knee gave me a little grief but then so did the other (probably compensating) but no more than I'd expect considering a 4 week break or thereabouts. Time was rubbish but happy to got back in the saddle, so to speak. Now to shift the Xmas belly.
  • freddymercurystwin 23 Apr 2021 18:49:26 2,677 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Well having had an awful couple of months at work I've just felt too rotten to run and the waistline has been growing ever since but finally got out on the tarmac this afternoon, slow as anything naturally but good to get out there. Did anyone else catch this story: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/56720358.amp Absolutely awesome, 312 miles in 75 hours!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.