Final Fantasy XIII Page 2

• ilmaestro 1 Apr 2006 00:20:53 32,929 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've got to be fair, the thread was only ever going to be on topic for about 10 posts given the lack of info. I thought the point of the weekly FF threads was so that the merits of VIII could be dragged back and forth just in case a new member hasn't got the full story? :)

Edited by ilmaestro at 00:21:05 01-04-2006
  • Blerk Moderator 1 Jun 2006 09:37:45 48,222 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    From The Magic Box:

Square Enix revealed more tidbits for the PS3 RPG Final Fantasy XIII in the latest issue of Gemaga magazine:

* The scenario is currently 80% completed, the game will have a number of usable vehicles
    * The developer is researching whether or not to use the 6-axis technology in the PS3 controller, which may be applied on the vehicles controls.
    * In the E3 trailer, the two yellow insignias the lead woman's left shoulder express a rank or social status.
    * The social status affects the type of conversation with characters in the cities
    * The woman in the E3 trailer is not necessary the protagonist of the game. However the developers mentioned that they want to give the leading role to a strong, independent woman.
  • York 1 Jun 2006 09:42:03 8,667 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    the game will have a number of usable vehicles
    Oh dear.

Blerk wrote:
    * The developer is researching whether or not to use the 6-axis technology in the PS3 controller, which may be applied on the vehicles controls.
    Oh dear again.
  • Blerk Moderator 1 Jun 2006 09:43:10 48,222 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Worrying, isn't it? :-)
  • itamae 1 Jun 2006 09:46:15 10,213 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I don't know, they've had Chocobos, cars, flying schools, airships, rockets and some other crazy stuff in their previous FFs already, and it didn't exactly harm those games. ;-)
  • Onny 1 Jun 2006 10:48:04 5,695 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah didn't they have 3 in FF7? The airship, the chobos, and the motorbike / m0t0rb1k3. :)
  • York 1 Jun 2006 10:50:26 8,667 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't think they've ever plugged them as a feature, though!

Motorbike = simplistic minigame
    All other vehicles = slightly faster ways to traverse the overworld, with similar control systems to walking
  • itamae 1 Jun 2006 10:53:39 10,213 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    Yeah didn't they have 3 in FF7? The airship, the chobos, and the motorbike / m0t0rb1k3. :)
    Don't forget the snowboards! Anyway, my faith in Squenix knows no bounds (except for "doing decent PAL conversions") so I'm absolutely sure they'll do it right or not at all :-P
  • York 1 Jun 2006 10:59:44 8,667 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    Onny wrote:
    Don't forget the snowboards! Anyway, my faith in Squenix knows no bounds (except for "doing decent PAL conversions") so I'm absolutely sure they'll do it right or not at all :-P
    See The Bouncer, Chocobo Racing, Ehrgeiz, Driving Emotion Type-S, and Dirge of Cerebus for examples of Squeenix's attempts at branching out. o_0
  • York 1 Jun 2006 10:59:48 8,667 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • itamae 1 Jun 2006 11:04:05 10,213 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Well, it's common knowledge that Squenix is crap at doing anything other than RPGs so I do my best to forget about "those other games". Although Einhänder was quite good.
  • York 1 Jun 2006 11:08:11 8,667 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    Well, it's common knowledge that Squenix is crap at doing anything other than RPGs so I do my best to forget about "those other games". Although Einhänder was quite good.
    Point being, their announcement of vehicles in FFXIII seems like a similar attempt at "branching out" of their comfort zone, which will similarly end up being poor. Especially now that they're looking at using the tilt sensor.
  • Blerk Moderator 1 Jun 2006 11:12:23 48,222 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Mistwalker have been commissioned by MS to do two exclusive 360 titles, they are not owned by MS. They are free to work on other platforms.
  • itamae 1 Jun 2006 11:16:40 10,213 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I see what you mean York, their latest effort at branching out an existing franchise (Dirge of Cerberus) is pretty dire if the reviews are to be believed, but what I've read about FF XII convinces me that they haven't lost it completely yet. I think I'll grant them the benefit of doubt for now.

And I'm not too worried about Uematsu leaving Squenix, he has been recycling his old 8-bit tunes for far too long now so I for one am looking forward to some new influences. Besides, the level up and victory jingles should be Squenix's property anyway so we'll keep those at least.
  • York 1 Jun 2006 11:24:36 8,667 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    I see what you mean York, their latest effort at branching out an existing franchise (Dirge of Cerberus) is pretty dire if the reviews are to be believed, but what I've read about FF XII convinces me that they haven't lost it completely yet. I think I'll grant them the benefit of doubt for now.
    Oh, of course. Nobody's saying that FFXIII will be a bad RPG. There's no reason to believe that the main part of FFXIII won't be every bit as good as its predecessors.

Just that the tack-on vehicles statement was kinda weird. Kinda like FFX was a perfectly acceptable Final Fantasy, but it had Blitzball :)
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 1 Jun 2006 11:26:39 11,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    And Tobal No. 1...
  • Onny 1 Jun 2006 11:28:06 5,695 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    quezcatol wrote:
    FF4-FF5-FF6-FF7 some of the bets music ever done,if not the best.
    One of my biggest disappointments with FF8 was that the "airship" music was shite compared to the Highwind theme. :(
  • ilmaestro 1 Jun 2006 12:55:51 32,929 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    York wrote:
    itamae wrote:
    Onny wrote:
    See The Bouncer, Chocobo Racing, Ehrgeiz, Driving Emotion Type-S, and Dirge of Cerebus for examples of Squeenix's attempts at branching out. o_0
    See 'lots of games not made by the main people at Square'. See 'no RPGs on that list'. See 'what was your point again?'. ;)
  • ilmaestro 1 Jun 2006 12:56:47 32,929 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    * The woman in the E3 trailer is not necessary the protagonist of the game.
    I guessed that.
    However the developers mentioned that they want to give the leading role to a strong, independent woman.
    And I'm still not convinced 100% about that.

Edited by ilmaestro at 12:56:46 01-06-2006
  • Onny 1 Jun 2006 13:06:35 5,695 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tobal 2 has a fantastic reputation in the fighting game community too.
  • Altair 1 Jun 2006 17:22:16 19 posts
    Registered 14 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    * The woman in the E3 trailer is not necessary the protagonist of the game.
    I guessed that.
    However the developers mentioned that they want to give the leading role to a strong, independent woman.
    And I'm still not convinced 100% about that.

Edited by ilmaestro at 12:56:46 01-06-2006

not janet street porter!!!
  • mrharvest 1 Jun 2006 17:34:42 5,591 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've got three thumbs up here for any decision they make to reinvent their RPGs.

Give me strong female leads and curious controller tilting driving if that's what they think is best! If it doesn't work they'll ditch it in the next instalment.
  • York 1 Jun 2006 17:39:58 8,667 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    was your point again?'. ;)
    Hehe.

Just to clarify, though: Yes, FFXIII has every right to be good.

But I doubt the "tilt sensor vehicles" will be up to much, in the same vein as Blitzball. Not that that should have a negative impact on the game as a whole. :)
  • ilmaestro 1 Jun 2006 19:08:12 32,929 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I see where you're going, but I can not follow.

No, seriously, I don't see the point in properly usable vehicles either, it worries me that they might try to incorporate them in the battles and start to lose focus.
  • Scimarad 1 Jun 2006 19:51:51 9,621 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I can think of a few RPGs that had usable vehicles and it didn't do them any harm. Personally I'm a big of vehicles in RPGs though I'm constantly disapointed that my gummy version of the Galactica doesn't show up on the world map in KH2:-)
  • Blerk Moderator 2 Jun 2006 09:04:49 48,222 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    In further news, Squenix have apparently been 'bigging up' Sony's decision to go with Blu-Ray. Apparently FFXIII "just wouldn't fit" onto DVD. Prepare for some Sony PR chest-beating sometime in the near future.
  • BartonFink 2 Jun 2006 09:13:46 35,267 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    York wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    the game will have a number of usable vehicles
    Oh dear.

Blerk wrote:
    Oh dear again.
    That indeed is verry worrying. Don't do it Square. Pleeeeeease.
  • BartonFink 2 Jun 2006 09:17:32 35,267 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    In further news, Squenix have apparently been 'bigging up' Sony's decision to go with Blu-Ray. Apparently FFXIII "just wouldn't fit" onto DVD. Prepare for some Sony PR chest-beating sometime in the near future.
    More like prepare for a disc bloated with FMV. Honestly now is that a good thing? I would really prefer to play a game not watch a movie that pretends to be a game. Again don't do it Square.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.