Final Fantasy XIII Page 204

• Collymilad 24 May 2011 18:05:14 1,266 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone seen the 360 and PS3 versions?

Just wondering how much of a real-world difference there is. I know there's a DF article but would like an opinion from an "Average joe" if you get my meaning.

Thing is I got to pulse on the PS3 but then had to get rid of it, Amazon have the 360 version for 10. Would it suck playing the 360 version after getting that far on the PS3 or are the differences fairly minor in reality?
  • Deleted user 24 May 2011 18:12:25
    It looks shitter but it's the same game.
  • King_Edward 24 May 2011 18:55:54 11,470 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It looks fuglier for sure. It's still 10x prettier than most rpgs though.
  • Deleted user 24 May 2011 19:04:00
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    stuff

Cheers JTN, I appreciate the response, enjoyed reading that.
  • SolidSCB 10 Jun 2011 19:18:04 11,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just re-bought this. Couldn't say no to an absolute brand spanking new Limited Edition for 8!

I'm going to try and 5* all the marks, well, first I'm actually going to have to beat them!

I do have a question to anyone that has braved it though; to realistically 5* all the marks, will I need to max out every role for every character?

I already have a pretty well progressed team from my gamesave from around release time with 1 or 2 roles maxed for each character with some decent progression with all the other backup roles for them. Is it worth farming CP for a bit before I get properly stuck into the marks?
  • Rens11 11 Jun 2011 17:08:34 1,814 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So what's everyone's reaction to ffxiii 2? I'm glad it's going to be less linear not too sure about the quick time events though!
  • itamae 11 Jun 2011 17:15:59 10,213 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    At least you have to press buttons to advance. :-)

I haven't really formed an opinion yet. There is certainly potential in the game world, but FF13 was such a steaming pile that I'm doing my best to forget about it.
  • Cappy 11 Jun 2011 17:35:05 14,109 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I wouldn't be interested in a game that continues with that World, those sickening characters and the same pathetic, rolled out of the doll factory character design.

It could perhaps be redeemed by a radically altered battle system that was more interesting, or being 5 in the bargain section, then I'll buy it for sneering purposes.
  • MrSensible 11 Jun 2011 17:40:52 26,517 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well I quite like the look of a couple of the characters, at least. Lightning, Fang and Sazh were pretty cool.

I actually enjoyed this game until the end - it wasn't of the usual FF standard but I had some fun. I could never beat the final boss though, even after days of trying so gave up. I might have enjoyed most of my time with it but it wasn't good ENOUGH to keep on trying tbh.

New one sounds like it might be a lot better, so I'll keep an eye out for it.
  • King_Edward 11 Jun 2011 17:52:11 11,470 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rens11 wrote:
    So what's everyone's reaction to ffxiii 2? I'm glad it's going to be less linear not too sure about the quick time events though!
    There are good qtes and bad qtes imo. These ones seem fine to me. They're optional; you initiate them during gameplay; and they let you do funky stuff. The bad kind are the segmented cut-scenes that kill you when you fail.

They're saying all the right things about FFXIII-2 imo. But I won't get my hopes up this time.
  • SomaticSense 12 Jun 2011 12:16:59 15,062 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    Well I quite like the look of a couple of the characters, at least. Lightning, Fang and Sazh were pretty cool.

I actually enjoyed this game until the end - it wasn't of the usual FF standard but I had some fun. I could never beat the final boss though, even after days of trying so gave up. I might have enjoyed most of my time with it but it wasn't good ENOUGH to keep on trying tbh.

New one sounds like it might be a lot better, so I'll keep an eye out for it.

Same here.

I really loved the game until the end, and I think a lot of the outcry over the whole linearity/"it's not a game" thing was way too overplayed. It wasn't that different really to any other JRPG, it just presented it in a different way.

The final boss however was a cheap steaming pile. I still have the game, but have no intent on ever finishing it. Instead it's sitting upstairs well away from the 360 waiting for the Square employee responsible for that utter cunt of a boss to just happen to knock on my door, so I can pull his trousers down and shove it up his arse, game case and all.

This game was the one responsible for my now utter intolerance for cheap game/level design. I just can't be arsed with that anymore, and will immediately shelve a game if even one annoying element which shouldn't be there ever crops up. It was my New Year's Resolution, don't bother wasting time on a game which wants to waste my time.
  • Widge Moderator 12 Jun 2011 13:48:58 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rens11 wrote:

I think they add something to menu based combat. One game I thought it really enhanced was FFVIII, with Squall's Renzokuken and Zell's multitude of fighting moves. Brought a bit of interactivity to the fights beyond picking words from a list.

In that sense, its not a new FF development and more of something being brought back from the PSone era.
  • King_Edward 12 Jun 2011 15:21:02 11,470 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Snes era really. FFVI had Sabin's specials. They were more complex than a single button prompt, but it was a similar way of getting more interaction into the game.
  • Widge Moderator 12 Jun 2011 17:08:44 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah! I forgot Tifa's Limit Reels.

I've not played FFVI sadly, something I am meaning to get round to one day.
  • SomaticSense 15 Jun 2011 12:23:22 15,062 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Rens11 wrote:

I think they add something to menu based combat. One game I thought it really enhanced was FFVIII, with Squall's Renzokuken and Zell's multitude of fighting moves. Brought a bit of interactivity to the fights beyond picking words from a list.

In that sense, its not a new FF development and more of something being brought back from the PSone era.

That's a good point.

Besides which, I don't think there's much wrong with QTE's per se, it was just the sheer frequency of them a few years ago, and the way they were used by devs to cheaply shoehorn in some 'excitement and interactivity' when it wasn't necessarily appropriate that has given them the reputation they have.

As long as they keep them within the confines of the battles and don't use them during the cinematics then they'll be a perfect fit for the JRPG formula. The 'Ring of Perfect' mechanic thingy from Lost Oddysey comes to mind, which worked brilliantly to spice up the random battles and make them less tedious. While this wasn't technically a QTE in the way we traditionally think of them, XIII-2's could work in a similar way, helping to immerse the player into the action at a time when they usually develop the Thousand Yard Stare in other similar games.
  • Kazama74 15 Jun 2011 13:56:33 18 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    I hate kids IRL, the last thing I want to do is babysit them in a videogame, especially one where I'm trying to save the world. The kids in Lost Odyssey are so damn annoying and the ones in FFXIII are just retarded.

Try listening to Lymle in Star Ocean TLH for five seconds and you'll learn to love FF and LO kids, 'kay? ;)
  • HiddenAway 15 Jun 2011 14:00:36 15,147 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kazama74 wrote:
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    I hate kids IRL, the last thing I want to do is babysit them in a videogame, especially one where I'm trying to save the world. The kids in Lost Odyssey are so damn annoying and the ones in FFXIII are just retarded.

'kay?

GAH! The Horror! THE HORROR!!!!

T_T
  • Malek86 9 Sep 2019 22:58:32 8,755 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Let me exhume this thread since I'm playing the game after just nine years. I'm on Chapter 11 now, on my way to Oerba. Played twelve missions, and getting kinda tired of it all. I would like to simply run for the ending now, but I'm worried that my party will just get demolished by the final stage bosses.

I currently have each character with one role maxed (stage 8) and another role almost maxed. Am I on decent grounds to go on, or should I grind a bit more? I figure I'll get more chances to grind later, but I wouldn't wanna meet some unsormountable boss for now. Especially, I've heard the chapter 12 boss is a pain. Should I keep moving or stay in the steppe for a while longer?

Edited by Malek86 at 22:58:51 09-09-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Sep 2019 23:09:44 6,369 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Malek86 You want to grind a bit more, ideally. If you've got to the tiny open-world section, you've basically got to the ideal grinding spot. After that, it's a straight line to the end.

Last boss is a major escalation in difficulty compared to the other story-bosses. Main thing to note is that you will absolutely need to make use of the Saboteur role, which is otherwise fairly disposable in the plain old story content.

Edit: For what it's worth, terrible though FF13 mostly is, FF13-2 is a lot better (though still not fantastic) and I would personally peg Lightning Returns as arguably the most under-rated game of the PS3/360 generation.

Edited by Rogueywon at 23:12:37 09-09-2019
  • Malek86 9 Sep 2019 23:40:02 8,755 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gah, I've been grinding for the last 9 hours, pretty much. This sucks. Monsters here give me 2000-3000 CP per fight, surely there's gotta be better grinding points later on? Since apparently there's one more crystarium stage to unlock.

If I weren't so far ahead already, 35 hours in now, I would just drop it. But I've come too far to give up. If only these games didn't make their final boss so annoying.

Edited by Malek86 at 23:40:32 09-09-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Sep 2019 23:42:03 6,369 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Malek86 Oh just push on to the end then. I think you're fine, on reflection.

For the last boss, just keep full buffs and debuffs up at all times. The debuffs are really critical (from Sab)... without them, the last boss can 1-shot you once it gets to low health. With them, it is fairly trivial.
  • Ror 10 Sep 2019 00:30:11 18,822 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wouldn't worry about it. Given you heal after every battle, there is effectively no penalty for dying, and enemies respawn after a save, you can grind absolutely anywhere if need be.
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Sep 2019 07:01:20 7,716 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    I wouldn't worry about it. Given you heal after every battle, there is effectively no penalty for dying, and enemies respawn after a save, you can grind absolutely anywhere if need be.
    So... ff13 is dark souls?
  • Ror 10 Sep 2019 13:43:21 18,822 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, now that you mention it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Sep 2019 14:01:54 6,369 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    So... ff13 is dark souls?
    Lightning Returns did borrow some Dark Souls DNA. Took much more from Majora's Mask, though.
  • Malek86 10 Sep 2019 15:50:48 8,755 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Got to Oerba today. I'm actually glad I leveled up a lot, because some of the battles in the tower were already hard enough despite my maxed crystarium stage 8. Surprisingly, the boss was real easy.

And I'm also stashing aside a ton of CPs now, which should give me a leg up when the next stage opens.
  • Wavey 10 Sep 2019 17:40:51 906 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I bloody loved Lightning Returns!
  • Malek86 12 Sep 2019 10:22:10 8,755 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That second final boss made me want to give up at one point. Battle goes on for 15 minutes because none of my debuffs manage to stick. Still, he's almost dead, I have 30% death resist and veil... and he still one-shots me. Great design there.

Oh well. next try went a lot better. The final final boss was no big deal too. And that's FF13 done.

Edited by Malek86 at 10:23:37 12-09-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Sep 2019 10:27:35 6,369 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Malek86 Yeah, that boss is cheap as hell. Takes forever to get his health down, then once he's below 30% health he gets an attack that has an RNG-based chance of being an instant game-over. Shockingly bad design.

Edit: Pushing onto the sequels now? They are better...

Edited by Rogueywon at 10:28:10 12-09-2019
  • Malek86 12 Sep 2019 10:45:29 8,755 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He actually seems to have that attack (Progenitor's Wrath) all the time. He killed Hope a few times with it. That was never an issue, but of course he had to do it against Lightning at the end. Sigh.

Rogueywon wrote:
    Edit: Pushing onto the sequels now? They are better...
    Bold of you to assume I even care at this point.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.