The BBC news IS The Day Today

• Deleted user 3 April 2006 22:23:42
    In a news story about how a publishers are allegedly turning to bloggers for new fiction, they not only introduced the report with, "From cyberspace, Duncan Kennedy reports..." but they than started the report itself with, "If you could hear the internet, it would sound like this:" - cue a graphic of loads of words flying out the screen, and hundreds of voices talking at once.

And of course, they ended with, "Duncan Kennedy, for the BBC News..., from the World Wide Web."

Wouldn't have sounded out of place in The Day Today. Why do they have to do it like that??

Funny that they're reporting on 'blogs like they're some kind of new thing when they've been around for years and years. Oh, and apparently blogging (and the internet) was born in California. So now you know.

o_O

Edited by Owen-B at 22:25:36 03-04-2006
  • Teeth 3 Apr 2006 22:51:14 7,987 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Owen-B wrote: "If you could hear the internet, it would sound like this:" - cue a graphic of loads of words flying out the screen, and hundreds of voices talking at once.

LOL!
  • Deleted user 3 April 2006 22:53:22
    I use one for a kind-of-not-really-daily photoblog. I keep it as clean as possible but I'm thinking of honing it even more lately.

I wish I'd picked a more unique name though. There isn't any ishot or even i-shot domains left (well, in the .com or .co.uk neck of the woods) and I want to give it it's own domain now.
  • Mashum 3 Apr 2006 22:56:08 154 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    "If you could hear the internet, it would sound like this"

I can hear him saying it...

The journos must know - I reackon they do it for a laugh some times.
  • sam_spade 3 Apr 2006 23:51:31 15,744 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Trackbacks
  • Deleted user 3 April 2006 23:57:02
    Yeah, I read all about these trackback things, but what are they?
  • CerealKey 4 Apr 2006 00:02:09 2,860 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They just let you know and the reader's who is covering what. So you can follow the chain of events that led to that post.
  • Deleted user 4 April 2006 00:03:40
    I saw a report on the London local news (I think it was ITV's) about some theft-detection system, which involved things being sprayed with some fancy water that showed up in UV light. The guy finished the demonstration and report by turning to the camera in UV-vision and saying that the potential thief has "criminal egg all over his face". Criminal egg?

British local news is hilarious. I really like The Day Today, but sometimes the real thing unintentionally manages to be funnier.
  • Deleted user 4 April 2006 00:07:42
    CerealKey wrote:
    They just let you know and the reader's who is covering what. So you can follow the chain of events that led to that post.
    Don't understand your explanation, sorry! What chain of events that led to my post? Can you show me a blog that uses them so I can see what you mean?
  • Deleted user 4 April 2006 00:10:19
    lucky_jim wrote:
    British local news is hilarious. I really like The Day Today, but sometimes the real thing unintentionally manages to be funnier.
    There's an excellent Open University film on the DVD of The Day Today about the elements of TV news reporting that they wanted to take the piss out of, and the ways they went about doing it. It goes into detail about how news shows are put together and the thinking behind things like the graphics, and then shows how they exploited this for the show. Worth having a look at one day. It pretty much admits "News on TV today is ridiculous".
  • uiruki 4 Apr 2006 05:08:20 4,739 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    lucky_jim wrote:
    There's an excellent Open University film on the DVD of The Day Today about the elements of TV news reporting that they wanted to take the piss out of, and the ways they went about doing it. It goes into detail about how news shows are put together and the thinking behind things like the graphics, and then shows how they exploited this for the show. Worth having a look at one day. It pretty much admits "News on TV today is ridiculous".

That is actually on the bonus DVD when you buy the box set. It's excellent, really funny, and has the pilot too, which to be fair is largely spread out across the series proper, but there is a bit of unused material too.
  • CerealKey 4 Apr 2006 07:18:08 2,860 posts
    Seen 10 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    CerealKey wrote:
    Don't understand your explanation, sorry! What chain of events that led to my post? Can you show me a blog that uses them so I can see what you mean?

Say I make a post on a blog that supports trackback, let's call it (1) and then you read (1) and decide to make a post about it (2). So you set-up the trackback on your post and then my (1) post will now have a link in the trackback section to your post (2) and vice versa. Then otto comes along and reads your post and then decides to write about your post, (3).So he sets up the trackback and then your post (2) will have a link to (3) and (1) so people can either see where the thread of the topic is going or has been.
  • Deleted user 4 April 2006 08:16:17
    I understand how (2) has a link to (1), but unless blogger2 tells blogger1 that he's linked to it, how does the link to (2) appear in (1)?

Confused! Dot com!
  • sam_spade 4 Apr 2006 08:26:31 15,744 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's magic!

(or done via the software)
  • BartonFink 4 Apr 2006 08:28:43 35,267 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nah it's magic.
  • Kilters 4 Apr 2006 08:34:41 616 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    However bad BBC news is, Sky News takes the biscuit.

Remember the news wall during the Iraq war? With tiny tanks and helicopters all zooming around.........then they showed a battle with a little explosion graphic.
    Comic genius if it weren't so serious.
  • sam_spade 4 Apr 2006 08:37:33 15,744 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Like those little rub on decals you could get?
  • Mr.Small 4 Apr 2006 08:49:07 318 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    sam_spade wrote:
    Trackbacks

Trashbats! 'Trash', as in everything around us, and 'bat'!
  • Retroid Moderator 4 Apr 2006 10:05:55 45,463 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    A Sky News report on police wearing little cameras was 'great'

Cue desk jockey giving you the story and then turning halfway through to another camera done out in green with lots of fake OSDs allover the place O_o;;;

Oh, and they started the VT with a clip from Robocop III.

"Are our POLICE becoming ROBOCOPS?!"

Ummm, no, not unless they've been brutally murdered by a gang and the police department has been taken over by a megacrop.....! o_O;;;
  • terminalterror 4 Apr 2006 11:09:46 18,931 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    "Are our POLICE becoming ROBOCOPS?!"

Ummm, no, not unless they've been brutally murdered by a gang and the police department has been taken over by a megacrop.....! o_O;;;

How do you know that hasn't happened and the megacorp controls all the media so you don't know about it and Sky News are trying to tell you without being killed my the megacorp?

eh?
  • cowell 8 Aug 2018 10:20:39 1,775 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Scanning homeless people with smartphones to donate money
  • Drakesmoke 9 Aug 2018 08:52:56 515 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    https://youtu.be/5UNXOfe9pEg

Haven't checked with the DVD to confirm, but suspect that this is the documentary discussed.
  • X201 9 Aug 2018 10:07:29 18,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    cowell wrote:
    Scanning homeless people with smartphones to donate money
    Looks like the plasterer from DIY SOS has fallen on hard times.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.