The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 472

• Stuz359 6 Nov 2018 16:30:04 136 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think they've tried to introduce too many characters at once and it's not letting the main character breathe. The Doctor still being confused after 5 episodes is a bit stupid too, all the other recent doctors had one episode of being confused and then we're fine, this is just tedious.
  • Bambot 7 Nov 2018 16:39:31 1,361 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm really struggling to enjoy JW as the Doctor. Half the time it feels like she's just imitating what she thinks is the right delivery, without really understanding who her character is or what the situation is. So many deliveries where I'm left going "did nobody pull her up on that??". Her character doesn't feel like the same person everyone else has played. It's all far too breezy and rushed.

Occasionally it all comes together, but so far I've had to make myself enjoy it all. I love that we have a female Doctor. I just don't really love this particular actress.

It could also be the writing. Just about every episode so far has suffered from jarring jumps in the action covered by cringey expository dialogue, and baddies who don't really feel that scary, and everything sort of limps towards a sort of half-baked resolution rather than a distinct TAKE THAT, EVIL, THE DOCTOR KICKED YOUR ASS sort of ending.

EDIT: I thought Rosa Parks ep was far and away the best so far. Is it telling that, afaik, that's the only one that Chibnall didn't write entirely himself?

Edited by Bambot at 16:42:12 07-11-2018
  • nickthegun 7 Nov 2018 19:37:50 77,782 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They have the cast and crew to transition into a one, season long story. It would give the characters much greater scope to grow and give them opportunity to tell a really strong story.

I think the episodes so far have been decent but them all being standalone hasn't necessarily been to it's benefit.
  • Load_2.0 7 Nov 2018 20:21:42 29,291 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I only watched one, I think the problems is a lack of charisma.

This Doctor feels like a generic compilation rather than having her own identity.
  • ControlledChaos 11 Nov 2018 21:05:51 483 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone else see big similarities with Twice Upon a Time
  • GuybrushFreepwood 11 Nov 2018 21:20:13 942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Came across as yet another sermon to me, so it's fortunate it's on a Sunday. I'm expecting GM Foods taking over the world next week, though from the trailer it could be amazon. The Dr is still doing her confused, frightened idiot routine which is not at all endearing. I want a dalek to exterminate her or just something that knows what it's doing to turn up.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 11 Nov 2018 21:21:49 942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Actually I'm sounding like the Dr Who version of Fuzzy. I'll stfu. I think everyone has worked out I'm not enjoying it so far.

...aside from my wife.
  • Alastair 11 Nov 2018 21:24:34 23,541 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I enjoyed that. And so did the boy, and he's the target demographic so I think they are hitting the right spot.
  • arty 11 Nov 2018 21:55:17 542 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Kinda preachy. The series is like being hit over the head with a GCSE syllabus.
  • challenge_hanukkah 11 Nov 2018 21:58:42 10,692 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My kid thinks it's shit, so they've managed to stave off being disowned for a bit longer.

Edited by challenge_hanukkah at 22:22:23 11-11-2018
  • nickthegun 11 Nov 2018 22:18:33 77,782 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Graham's episode will be about the fact that somehow he was involved in those women going on strike in the Dagenham Ford factory.

And the Capri is some kind of mind control device...
  • X201 11 Nov 2018 23:18:07 19,207 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I love the fact that itís gone right back to the grassroots of Doctor Who.
    Aliens one week, history the next and with educating and informing viewers as a core principle.
  • themanfromdelmonte 11 Nov 2018 23:44:23 726 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah "When did DW get so preachy?"

Erm, 1963 mate.

For the most part, I'm enjoying this season, so far. But the main bugbear is pacing, there seems to be a bit in every episode where it just gets mired. I love Jodie as the Doctor and Bradley Walsh (my main concern when the cast was announced) has been a revelation.
  • ControlledChaos 12 Nov 2018 09:56:08 483 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    She's certainly has a feel of the Infomercial Doctor
  • SnackPlissken 12 Nov 2018 11:12:14 966 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    What happened to writing sci-fi?
  • beastmaster 12 Nov 2018 12:11:44 19,221 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím coming up towards the end of season 10. Capaldi is brilliant.

Iíve heard that the new series is utter shit. Someone I know thinks theyíll either kill her off or this series will end up putting it in the shitter and theyíll can it for a revival in 15 years time. Heís in his late 60s so heís definitely not the target audience now.
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Nov 2018 13:22:09 10,692 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There are far too many Denzel's in it for you.
  • Retroid Moderator 12 Nov 2018 17:40:29 45,463 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    There were at least 3 bad seasons straddling Matt Smith's end and Capaldi's first two. His last was great, and this season has been largely Good, other than some weak 'villains'.
  • beastmaster 12 Nov 2018 17:57:31 19,221 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    There are far too many Denzel's in it for you.
    *sigh*

I'm actually looking forward to getting to it. Probably got about 3 more to go in series 10. Which I'll finish watching tonight. Hopefully get the series 11 pilot in.

The negatives views I've heard have got nothing to do with the cast, it's the plot. I'll probably really enjoy it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Nov 2018 18:11:50 10,219 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I struggle to see how anyone could prefer the endless tedium of River Song over these monster of the week and history type episodes

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 18:12:10 12-11-2018
  • ControlledChaos 13 Nov 2018 01:06:14 483 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Imo Matt Smith had a great run and really only suffered a dip in quality in S7 part 2 & I think thqt was in part due to them dragging out the Clara story & the fact apparently they changed her character as she was ment to be the snowman clara, finished with a florish at the end though with the doctor trilogy(name, day, time).
    Tennent was good but had some really duff (fear her) episodes, season 4 the obvious highlight

I'm rambling we are 6 episodes in now
    9 had Dalek
    10 had The Girl In The Fireplace & School Reunion
    11 had Eleventh Hour, flesh & stone, Time of angels5
    12 had deep breath & Listen

13 has ... errm Rosa I guess
  • Bambot 13 Nov 2018 10:29:24 1,361 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ControlledChaos wrote:
    Imo Matt Smith had a great run and really only suffered a dip in quality in S7 part 2 & I think thqt was in part due to them dragging out the Clara story & the fact apparently they changed her character as she was ment to be the snowman clara, finished with a florish at the end though with the doctor trilogy(name, day, time).
    Tennent was good but had some really duff (fear her) episodes, season 4 the obvious highlight

9 had Dalek

Why are you comparing a Doctor whose series is only halfway through to Doctors with completed series, and in most cases *multiple* series?

Edited by Bambot at 10:29:55 13-11-2018
  • Bambot 13 Nov 2018 10:31:56 1,361 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    They have the cast and crew to transition into a one, season long story. It would give the characters much greater scope to grow and give them opportunity to tell a really strong story.

I think the episodes so far have been decent but them all being standalone hasn't necessarily been to it's benefit.
    Didn't they hint at an arc in Rosa? With the 'Evil Leaper' dude and the 'Timeless Child' stuff. Albeit very briefly, and they've not even vaguely alluded to it ever since...
  • nickthegun 13 Nov 2018 10:44:35 77,782 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I dunno. It seems pretty steadfastly standalone at the moment. Even the evil leaper just seemed like a throwaway, futuristic expy of 'im just concerned about Muslim grooming gangs' types.

As worthy as it was, I don't think there's much drama in a whole arc about time travelling gammons.
  • ControlledChaos 14 Nov 2018 13:31:56 483 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    ControlledChaos wrote:

9 had Dalek

Why are you comparing a Doctor whose series is only halfway through to Doctors with completed series, and in most cases *multiple* series?
    I'm not, I'm comparing their first 6 episodes anyway this is a good read...

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-11-13/doctor-who-series-11-villains-will-they-be-back/
  • beastmaster 16 Nov 2018 00:48:59 19,221 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hmm...series 11.

Just needs a decent story, not a history lesson.
    And better dialogue.
    And more believable characters.
    And a doctor that isn't a needy, scared plot device that does nothing but spout exposition.
  • ControlledChaos 18 Nov 2018 22:36:08 483 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That was my favourite episode of this series so far
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 18 Nov 2018 23:52:21 10,219 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Another fun week, as previously I was into this
  • Alastair 18 Nov 2018 23:52:31 23,541 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Another popular one with the target age group watcher in this house.
    He found the androids appropriately scary. 😊
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Nov 2018 07:53:29 10,219 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The trailer for the next episode presses a lot of buttons for me.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.