The Official Doctor Who Thread Page 474

Next Last
  • Bambot 10 Dec 2018 12:31:56 1,386 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Obligatory "I know it's for kids but..."

I can't believe this series is all done. It's been such a non-event. That was such a meh finale. There's been no real over-arching story, no real sense of discovery of anything meaningful, or development of anything meaningful (beyond the kid calling graham "grandad"), and is it just me or did they establish a Big Bad in the Rosa Parks ep (the 'evil leaper' dude) and then never refer to him/them ever again? Tim Shaw was a total nothing really, nice that they finally had some sort of call-back but I wasn't terribly impressed or threatened by him.

And I just don't like the way she's playing the role. Maybe it's the direction, maybe she just isn't the right actress, but there's no *weight* to anything. I've rarely had the sense that she's a 1000+ year old alien that has seen some shit and can dish it out. Very good at channeling the Tennant-era "ooh, gosh, isn't this exciting? or is it actually just terribly dangerous? Who knows! Wheeee!" giddiness of the Doctor, but it could be any old perky snappy-repartee lead character.

Really, really tired of the melodramatic stance used to employ the sonic sex toy as well. Every. Time.

EDIT: to clarify, have watched every one, even though it stopped being Appointment TV after like the 4th or 5th week really.

Edited by Bambot at 12:33:02 10-12-2018
  • Rivuzu 10 Dec 2018 12:46:11 18,182 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm glad it's moving away from one central over-arching storyline. That's not what Who was until the Moffat era.

Fun series, good debut, but heavy handed with the political/social issues. We did racism, Partition, anti-consumerism and anti-Trump. I mean come on, tone it down a LITTLE.

The one with the blind girl was great though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Dec 2018 12:52:58 10,818 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm glad we've moved away from the single series spanning story. In the RTD era it's was relatively light touch before coming together at the end but with Moffat it usually became overly convoluted and heavy handed for me.

Not that a single arc is bad in and of itself, just that we needed the break a series like this gave it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Dec 2018 17:09:03 10,818 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just glanced at the Facebook comments. Misogynists really do put if the effort when they're committed, don't they?

I guess it's been a slow year for them now GamerGate is over and Trump's election is old news.

Sad.
  • X201 11 Dec 2018 12:15:46 19,285 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Viewing figures up 20% in the US.
    And the important live and same day figures are up 47%

Chibnall and Whittaker are going nowhere, BBC America and BBC Worldwide will make sure of that.

Ignore the rumours, stick with facts
    https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2463191/how-doctor-whos-season-11-ratings-compared-to-peter-capaldis-final-season
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Dec 2018 18:31:53 10,818 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think people are seeing the trolls and crybabies on social media and confusing that with the actual popular and critical reaction which is positive
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Dec 2018 00:29:36 10,818 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There's been loads of off years or years with limited runs of specials during the modern era. It's hardly an exceptional circumstance.

I suspect the rumour is more the wishful thinking of the MRA brigade and the reason for the year off more to do with budgets, scheduling and the increased production values than anything else.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Dec 2018 07:37:33 10,818 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well I hope he and Whitaker both stay, that was the best series we've had in quite a long time.

Maybe throw in a comedy episode or two and it'd be pretty much perfect.
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Dec 2018 07:39:50 11,047 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    I have no idea what the MRA brigade is (Getting too old for this shit and I just can't keep up with you silly millenials and your silly little social media war terms it's all rather boring) but the story originated from the sci-fi magazine Starburst apparently so not sure it is part of your wars.

TBH it is not the first time someone walked from Who because they were pissed off so not that unbelievable. Like I said time will tell if true.
    How old are you out of interest?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Jan 2019 20:53:37 10,818 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That was a good episode.

The race against time while the Dalek Terminatored its way about the place was a nice twist on using an old monster.

That the family angle was kept alive was good too.

I look forward to more, especially with the Doctor and crew growing in confidence.
  • RobAnybody 5 Jan 2019 17:12:17 1,744 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    New Twitch marathon starts today re-showing most of the available Classic Who episodes, broadcast in two blocks per day (6am and 6pm) - approx 500 episodes, 26 seasons, ending Jan 25th -

https://www.doctorwho.tv/watch/twitch/ (scroll down a bit to see UK times)

and the stream will be here -

https://www.twitch.tv/twitchpresents
  • RobAnybody 11 Feb 2019 17:43:39 1,744 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Now there's another up and coming marathon, but a 'mini' one for Dalek some 'classic series' stories, 17th Feb to 22nd:

https://www.doctorwho.tv/watch/twitch/

This will also show stories which weren't written by Terry Nation (and which Twitch haven't shown before).

Edited by RobAnybody at 17:44:28 11-02-2019
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.