Think I'm getting stiffed on eBay! Page 2

• faux-C 17 May 2006 15:55:38 11,204 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    "NUMBEROUS EMAILS" ?
  • Deleted user 17 May 2006 15:58:51
    I find the play and charge kit pretty useful tbh. I'm the kinda guy who can never find a free plug socket and always loses batteries anyway.

Just plug the controller in the odd night and never have to worry about swapping batteries.

Edited by boabg at 15:59:09 17-05-2006
  • Deleted user 17 May 2006 15:58:54
    Yeah it's all a bit weird. Gone quiet at her end now, too. I wonder what she's like as a dentist?
  • jozz 17 May 2006 16:07:36 4,871 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Owen-B wrote
    She just got her 'friend' to send me part of the money, and said she'll send the rest later when she works out how. Thing is, the remainder she said she would send is 20 shy...

Plus, I was getting stiffed by PayPal for the amount I got sent.

So I refunded it straight back and told the dentist to work out how to refund me from her own account, not her friends...

Definetly sounds like a scam to me. She knows that she has been exposed and is trying to sap as much money out of the transaction as possible. Making you pay the percentage and delaying the process by saying a 'friend' is fowarding part of the money sounds like she is just trying to draw it out long enough for you to give up and take what you can from it.
  • Deleted user 17 May 2006 16:16:34
    looks like she did this before but turning it a round ie you sent her a lot more money.
    good luck

ebay

Edited by 10x at 16:19:04 17-05-2006
  • caligari 17 May 2006 16:37:55 17,945 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I've said it once and I'll say it again...open a Pay Pal dispute (look under 'file a claim').

Pay Pal will fully reimburse you after a few days, even if she doesn't.
  • quedex 17 May 2006 16:43:53 3,135 posts
    Seen 13 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    Good work! Er... you bored today by any chance? ;)
    Nope, just had a spare couple of minutes over a coffee break ;)

/looks around nervously...
  • MrWorf 17 May 2006 16:54:02 63,835 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    _Shadow_ wrote:
    /considers becoming friends with whoever is giving her all these gifts.... she must be one popular lady!! lol

Hmmm... hooker?
  • DocX 17 May 2006 17:18:39 1,963 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Personally I don't bother with any seller that has less than 98% positive feedback. It's not worth the worry or bother, especially when you're dealing with a fair bit of cash.
  • Deleted user 17 May 2006 18:34:53
    caligari wrote:
    I've said it once and I'll say it again...open a Pay Pal dispute (look under 'file a claim').

Pay Pal will fully reimburse you after a few days, even if she doesn't.
    Filed... If there's really a problem on her account then only PayPal can sort it out. If there isn't, then I'll soon find out about it, I'm sure!

Edited by Owen-B at 22:16:28 17-05-2006
  • Deleted user 17 May 2006 22:16:35
    And LO!

All of a sudden she offers to have her friend pay me the refund, plus whatever extra it would take to cover the 3.4% I'll have deducted by PayPal.

I've suggested 323 to cover it (I paid 312.78 in total), and said only when the money has been transferred from my PayPal account into my bank account and shows up on my statement will I drop the Dispute and arrange the mutual withdrawal of negative feedback.

I've learnt a lesson here - don't rely on excellent feedback alone to make your purchases on eBay, especially such expensive, fault-prone items!
  • Hunam85 17 May 2006 22:19:17 4,114 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Owen, dont you think that this is the world telling you something? Im no fanboy either way (well, maybe a FEAR/Fallout one, but thats ok) but it seems that the world doesnt want you near a microsoft console for too long.

Ponder this.
  • Deleted user 17 May 2006 22:26:14
    Nah, it's the world telling me to give in to my baser instincts and buy the fucker brand new so I can experience the sheer joy of peeling back the plastic and smelling the newness...

Anyway, I had my Xbox for 4 solid years...

:D

She just sent me 323.50, more than covering my costs. I'll believe it when I see it on my bank balance!

Edited by Owen-B at 22:30:41 17-05-2006
  • Hunam85 17 May 2006 22:39:12 4,114 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ive had an xbox for 10 months i think, barely played on it, sept maybe timesplitters, but ill probs pick up the 360 in a few years, thing with xbox's is, the games i really wanna play on it are few and far between, and usually end up on the pc sooner or later, i actully got the console for Ninja Gaiden and Timesplitters 3 alone :) everything else turned up on the pc, sept i gave in and bought halo 2.

Infact, the only thing that is alluring about the 360 is the live arcade, Smash TV and eventually street fighter 2 might get the 360 in my house faster!

Anyway, good that its all turned out good, have fun with the console when you eventually get it!
  • ilmaestro 17 May 2006 22:41:48 32,932 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That was an epic, hope it's all resolved well in the end for you Owen-B and yet another story that backs up my resolve not to use ebay.
  • Deleted user 17 May 2006 22:51:40
    Hunam85 wrote:
    Ive had an xbox for 10 months i think, barely played on it, sept maybe timesplitters, but ill probs pick up the 360 in a few years, thing with xbox's is, the games i really wanna play on it are few and far between, and usually end up on the pc sooner or later, i actully got the console for Ninja Gaiden and Timesplitters 3 alone :) everything else turned up on the pc, sept i gave in and bought halo 2.

Infact, the only thing that is alluring about the 360 is the live arcade, Smash TV and eventually street fighter 2 might get the 360 in my house faster!

Anyway, good that its all turned out good, have fun with the console when you eventually get it!
    Cheers folks, turns out that actions speak louder than words. I don't think I'd have got the result if I hadn't been a bit drastic...

I caned my Xbox WAAAAY more than my other consoles. I loved it. Really loved the controller too - the big version fit my hands perfectly well. I don't have a PC though...

I'm extremely interested in Live Arcade, and the way the new Live system works in general, and the couple of games I've picked up already will be more than enough to keep me going while the releases pick up.
  • Deleted user 23 May 2006 15:34:35
    Well it looks like I spoke too soon, folks.

The very day before the money this 'friend' had sent me via PayPal was due to clear fully into my bank account, I recieved this email about it from PayPal.co.uk:

It has come to our attention that you may have recieved potentially unauthorised funds in your PayPal account. We have initiated an investigation into this event. In the meantime, we have placed a temporary hold on the funds in question until the investigation is complete. This temporary hold will show as a deduction in your available balance. In the meantime, you are free to continue transacting using your PayPal account.

Fuck's SAKE.

Just as well I've not closed the claim I made against the original seller. Am I right in thinking that if she doesn't make ANY response to the claim, or that if she does and PayPal aren't having it, I get all the money back from PayPal?

Also, I got an email from another eBayer who said that the advert she had posted (and claimed to be all her own) was actually ripped wholesale, photos and all, from his own genuine auction...

GRR!

Edited by Owen-B at 16:19:23 23-05-2006
  • Lukus 23 May 2006 15:38:03 23,545 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nasty little bitch!
    On a lighter note, the drive you sent me works perfectly. No more dvd troubles at all :)
  • morriss 23 May 2006 15:46:43 71,293 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You should only leave negative feedback after 2 weeks I think the rules are.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 23 May 2006 15:53:08 47,499 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Speaking from past experiences (yes, that's a plural) you'll never see your money ever again. PayPal don't like refunding, although they'll quite happily stop dodgy transactions.
  • Dougs 23 May 2006 15:53:20 95,318 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Crumbs, what a palaver. Glad I'm only bidding on a couple of cheapo items at the moment, wouldn't want to get involved with all this!
  • richardiox 23 May 2006 16:11:26 8,860 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If this seller is dodgy how did they end up with 200+ posi feedback? Always wondered about this, is there anyway to artifically inflate your positive feedbacks other than selling lots of small items legit to build an account ready for some rip-offs a year down the line?
  • Dougs 23 May 2006 16:12:32 95,318 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Can you not just create numerous accounts and give positive feedback via them?
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 23 May 2006 16:18:50 47,499 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've seen auctions where you pay 50p or 1 for a piece of MSPaint "art" and therefore the positive feedback.

See how that works?
  • Deleted user 23 May 2006 16:19:11
    DDevil wrote:
    Speaking from past experiences (yes, that's a plural) you'll never see your money ever again. PayPal don't like refunding, although they'll quite happily stop dodgy transactions.
    Jesus.

I fucking hope not.

:(

I'll fight hell and high water, tooth and nail to get that money back. Contacts in BBC Watchdog, and all that...

The seller is claiming the funds have been stopped because her account is on hold and the 'friends' account is linked to hers. I don't believe that for a second. Why would someone link their PayPal account to someone elses? Oh yeah, I know - because they're fraudsters?

The thing is, this person is wholly traceable. I know where she works and what she looks like (google is a wonderful thing) but that's not doing me ANY good right now. :(

Anyone had a positive result from filing a PayPal claim - ie have they ever got their money back if the claim isn't resolved? At the moment she's not even contesting the claim.
  • Stickman 23 May 2006 16:24:13 29,986 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I recently had a package that didn't turn up, waited two weeks, put in a dispute with Paypal, and a day later my money was refunded.

So the system works sometimes! It was only for 30 mind you.
  • Bru-Man 23 May 2006 16:25:49 200 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Anyone had a positive result from filing a PayPal claim

Yup - partly.
    Bought a laptop off eBay (same as you - good feedback and all) - won't explain the whole rigmarole that went on, but I sent money via PayPal and never got the item.
    Filed a claim and within two weeks got about 1/4 of the money back. Still waiting on the rest - PayPal said they would chase it up, but not heard any more.
  • [maven] 23 May 2006 16:42:40 5,692 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    I've seen auctions where you pay 50p or 1 for a piece of MSPaint "art" and therefore the positive feedback.

See how that works?

Or, like, toothbrushes for example.
  • Deleted user 23 May 2006 17:35:22
    Bru-Man wrote:
    Anyone had a positive result from filing a PayPal claim

Yup - partly.
    Bought a laptop off eBay (same as you - good feedback and all) - won't explain the whole rigmarole that went on, but I sent money via PayPal and never got the item.
    Filed a claim and within two weeks got about 1/4 of the money back. Still waiting on the rest - PayPal said they would chase it up, but not heard any more.

A quarter??!

How come? How much was it for in total?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.