Following The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 75

Next Last
  • The_Goon 30 Jul 2017 21:31:32 893 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sorry, can't comment.

But thread bump reminds me - started my long and, presumably, arduous journey through Secret Wars last night. I tried reading Secret Wars II before it and that was a real slog - I gave up halfway through and just read the main event issues in the end. Wish me luck...(It's about time I caught up though.)
  • spamdangled 30 Jul 2017 22:17:45 31,630 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CBR has become total shit since they were taken over abput a year ago. It's just endless clickbait lists, no actual insightful articles (aside from Brian Cronin - fuck knows how he tolerates it) and they rarely even review anything.

Is there a decent alternative out there?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Sep 2017 08:38:57 6,833 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    New (and final) Grandville book coming soon

• spamdangled 14 Sep 2017 09:53:35 31,630 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I see they've brought Superman's dad Jor-El back from the dead and made him a villain. Seems like the only character death that's still sacred is Uncle Ben and the Waynes.

Edited by spamdangled at 09:53:53 14-09-2017
  • The_Goon 15 Sep 2017 14:30:16 893 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Come on, DC! I'm dying for a DC Unlimited service. At this current time, I just don't even bother reading DC. I didn't read Marvel before they started Unlimited and now they have a customer who subscribes to the service and even buys the odd standalone comic/TPB.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 15 Sep 2017 14:49:45 6,833 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They're probably too busy planning another reboot of all their titles
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Oct 2017 23:34:35 6,833 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Marvel had a deal for an real life arms dealer so sponsor and feature in Avengers?!

https://boingboing.net/2017/10/08/no-pasaran-2.html
  • The_Goon 18 Apr 2018 14:23:11 893 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I finally bit the bullet and read Secret Wars so I could get back up to speed with the current Marvel titles. Really did not enjoy it. Felt like a damn mess and all the related titles were just a waste of time as far as I was concerned.

Still behind but enjoying the Spidey titles. Donít know much about Civil War II so looking forward to that when I get to it. Marvel Unlimited really is such a great service. I wish DC would pull their finger out.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 18 Apr 2018 15:02:04 31,998 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've only really started reading them properly recently with the DC Rebirth and Marvel Legacy soft re-launches, but I've quite enjoyed most of the titles I've read. I did also buy a few other books like Civil War II but that doesn't work as well as a self contained book without all the supporting material, so I reckon that'd be a far more enjoyable read on Marvel Unlimited where you can hoover up all the different stories feeding into and out of Civil War II :)

My favourite so far have been the current Punisher run, where they've started drawing Jon Bernthal as the character so it feel quite natural going from that TV show to the comic. I also really enjoyed the Batman and Flash crossover story The Button too. I'd say that as far as soft relaunches go, I've found the DC Rebirth stuff a lot easier to go into as a new reader as they go a bit further in telling you who these characters are. The Marvel Legacy titles generally haven't felt as welcoming, especially where the differences between the comics and the movie universe are larger, but the stories themselves have been pretty decent.
  • David_Richardson 18 Apr 2018 16:03:07 1,091 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    I finally bit the bullet and read Secret Wars so I could get back up to speed with the current Marvel titles. Really did not enjoy it. Felt like a damn mess and all the related titles were just a waste of time as far as I was concerned.

Still behind but enjoying the Spidey titles. Donít know much about Civil War II so looking forward to that when I get to it. Marvel Unlimited really is such a great service. I wish DC would pull their finger out.
    Civil War 2 was terrible, unfortunately. Characterisation went out the window completely.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 18 Apr 2018 16:13:35 31,998 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To be honest, I disliked Civil War II so much I almost didn't bother buying any other Marvel stuff at all. Some stuff just doesn't sit right with me, but I just assumed there was stuff from other comics I wasn't aware of that helped it make sense.
  • The_Goon 18 Apr 2018 17:31:43 893 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not a fan of the whole amalgamation of the 616 and Ultimate universes post-Secret Wars to be honest and I'm not really a fan of the current Marvel direction.

The whole Peter Parker is rich dynamic doesn't work. He's almost the epitome of the tragic hero. Uncle Ben, Gwen Stacy, Aunt May and MJ/One More Day all endear him to the everyman reader. We've already got Iron Man/Stark as the billionaire superhero - we don't need another.

I'd read about the whole Steve Rogers being Hydra plotline in the news so I'm glad to see it isn't a silly retcon but it still seems ridiculous. I've just started that plotline though so plenty of time for it to get absurd.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.