• simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Nov 2018 08:44:40 11,014 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's the 30th anniversary of Sandman #1

I bloody love Sandman.
  • bef 30 Nov 2018 09:39:15 1,739 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've recently bought the first Coda paperback by Boom Studios. That is one colourful apocalyptic redemption story! Lovely slash superb artwork and a nice tone to boot.

http://www.boom-studios.com/series/coda/

Also for your pulpy needs: the newly started (#8) Venom series comes highly recommended. A troubled Eddie Brock, XL Venomesque monsters and a very modern and detailed drawing style that reminds me of Greg Capullo... They changed artist with issue #8 but he's also no slouch.

https://www.marvel.com/comics/series/24310/venom_2018_-_present
  • AaronTurner 30 Nov 2018 11:52:20 11,271 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    It's Vigilant release day!

Hurrah for British superheroes and their totally small time powers!
    Whatever happened to this? There was never a 2nd edition?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Nov 2018 12:10:36 11,014 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just the one so far. I think it was a one shot to test the waters for a full series.

Reviews were a bit mixed and it probably was a bit confused trying to cram so much into a single issue and maybe assuming too much knowledge on behalf of the reader.

They seem committed to bringing more old titles back so I think we'll see them again.
  • AaronTurner 30 Nov 2018 13:58:44 11,271 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It was a bit confusing and I'm pretty sure the story wasn't finished.

In a couple of weeks time the baby is being moved into her own room. I have 6 months worth of 2000ad and all of the ultimate collection to catch up with for bedtime reading. Yes!
  • You-can-call-me-kal 23 Dec 2018 20:00:47 17,204 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Alien 3 fans might be interested to read the new comic series based on the original script, writtten by William Gibson.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Dec 2018 20:24:58 11,014 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ooh, yes I'd be very interested

and crossing my fingers that it's not another Frank Miller's Robocop 2
  • You-can-call-me-kal 19 Apr 2019 16:46:34 17,204 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iíve finally finished Fables! I think I literally started it about a decade ago. Maybe longer.

One of the reasons it took so long is because it becomes a major slog once the first proper arc (The Emperor arc) finishes. The first 80 comics or whatever it is are absolutely fantastic and right up there with anything else Vertigo did in its heyday.

But it should have ended there. And I suspect it was always intended to. After that they make up a lot of shit with flashbacks to effectively retcon another arc that was supposedly there all along, and itís pretty meh. Itís a shame.

Was still sad to see it end but it doesnít go out on a high, which is unusual for Vertigo as that was one of their strengths.
  • Singularity 10 Oct 2019 11:12:44 3,168 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've just fallen in love with Outer Darkness by John Layman. I hadn't even heard of it until I saw a random tweet, and I would've been all over it as I loved Chew.

It's Star Trek, with demons and stuff. The ship's engine is a captured god, and it feeds on human sacrifices! Layman is messed up. There's 11 issues so far, and it's just great.

The White Trees by Chip Z was pretty awesome, too.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 10 Oct 2019 12:56:39 17,204 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iím still working my way through Chew. I dip in and out. I like it but I donít love it. Itís a nice concept but it sometimes feels like itís trying a bit too hard to keep going.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.