• simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Nov 2018 08:44:40 13,992 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's the 30th anniversary of Sandman #1

I bloody love Sandman.
  • bef 30 Nov 2018 09:39:15 1,742 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've recently bought the first Coda paperback by Boom Studios. That is one colourful apocalyptic redemption story! Lovely slash superb artwork and a nice tone to boot.

http://www.boom-studios.com/series/coda/

Also for your pulpy needs: the newly started (#8) Venom series comes highly recommended. A troubled Eddie Brock, XL Venomesque monsters and a very modern and detailed drawing style that reminds me of Greg Capullo... They changed artist with issue #8 but he's also no slouch.

https://www.marvel.com/comics/series/24310/venom_2018_-_present
  • Deleted user 30 November 2018 11:52:20
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    It's Vigilant release day!

Hurrah for British superheroes and their totally small time powers!
    Whatever happened to this? There was never a 2nd edition?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Nov 2018 12:10:36 13,992 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just the one so far. I think it was a one shot to test the waters for a full series.

Reviews were a bit mixed and it probably was a bit confused trying to cram so much into a single issue and maybe assuming too much knowledge on behalf of the reader.

They seem committed to bringing more old titles back so I think we'll see them again.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2018 13:58:44
    It was a bit confusing and I'm pretty sure the story wasn't finished.

In a couple of weeks time the baby is being moved into her own room. I have 6 months worth of 2000ad and all of the ultimate collection to catch up with for bedtime reading. Yes!
  • You-can-call-me-kal 23 Dec 2018 20:00:47 20,080 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Alien 3 fans might be interested to read the new comic series based on the original script, writtten by William Gibson.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Dec 2018 20:24:58 13,992 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ooh, yes I'd be very interested

and crossing my fingers that it's not another Frank Miller's Robocop 2
  • You-can-call-me-kal 19 Apr 2019 16:46:34 20,080 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iíve finally finished Fables! I think I literally started it about a decade ago. Maybe longer.

One of the reasons it took so long is because it becomes a major slog once the first proper arc (The Emperor arc) finishes. The first 80 comics or whatever it is are absolutely fantastic and right up there with anything else Vertigo did in its heyday.

But it should have ended there. And I suspect it was always intended to. After that they make up a lot of shit with flashbacks to effectively retcon another arc that was supposedly there all along, and itís pretty meh. Itís a shame.

Was still sad to see it end but it doesnít go out on a high, which is unusual for Vertigo as that was one of their strengths.
  • Singularity 10 Oct 2019 11:12:44 3,250 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've just fallen in love with Outer Darkness by John Layman. I hadn't even heard of it until I saw a random tweet, and I would've been all over it as I loved Chew.

It's Star Trek, with demons and stuff. The ship's engine is a captured god, and it feeds on human sacrifices! Layman is messed up. There's 11 issues so far, and it's just great.

The White Trees by Chip Z was pretty awesome, too.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 10 Oct 2019 12:56:39 20,080 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iím still working my way through Chew. I dip in and out. I like it but I donít love it. Itís a nice concept but it sometimes feels like itís trying a bit too hard to keep going.
  • Phattso 29 Nov 2019 23:22:20 25,474 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I recently picked up one of the big iPad Pros, so I'm looking at getting some sort of Comic subscription to use with it.

I have a bunch of stuff bought on Comixology, but I know so little about what's worth reading I'd probably make shit Š la carte choices if I continue down that route.

Therefore: what's the bust subscription out there? Comixology Unlimited seems to be US only, and Kindle Unlimited feels like it's just a subset (tasters rather than full series) at first glance.

What would the glorious EG Hive Mind recommend?
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2019 15:07:53 25,474 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    *cough*
  • nickthegun 30 Nov 2019 15:15:09 82,326 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I tried the same thing when I got an iPad Pro with the same results, so just use a moody online reader site, since they really donít seem to want my money.
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2019 15:42:06 25,474 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh, well that sucks. Wonder what bullshit rights issues are stopping them running the subscriptions globally? Fucking idiots.

Cheers for the heads up. Iíll start investigating the ďalternativesĒ.
  • Derblington 30 Nov 2019 18:57:36 33,420 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    A couple of my mates rave about Marvel Unlimited.

Iím a comixology user personally. I donít buy much anymore but I follow enough of whatís going on and have artists and writers that I know to make informed decisions when I do.
    Gonna pick up the full 100Bullets run tonight.

Gratz on the iPad too. The 12.9 Pro is lovely.
  • The_Goon 1 Dec 2019 00:00:40 1,452 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Marvel Unlimited is pretty awesome. Lacks a few features and is six months behind in releases but well worth it for the cost.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Dec 2019 08:36:16 13,992 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If you like melancholy indie style comics about real life Rain by Mary & Bryan Talbot is properly excellent literary stuff

As all of the books they've collaborated are.

The previous three are all historic fictions but this one is set in contemporary West Yorkshire and deals with family, relationships and environmentalism.
  • Phattso 1 Dec 2019 14:09:50 25,474 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I noticed that Kindle Unlimited was running a three month free trial promotion so I signed up for that. Have to use the Kindle app rather than the Comixology app, which is very backwards and makes tracking series aggravating, but at least I have something to try out on the iPad now.

Working my way through the Attack on Titan manga and some random Judge Dredd storylines. :)

Derblington wrote:
    The 12.9 Pro is lovely.
    Yeah, I've been lusting after it since launch but couldn't justify the price for 256GB unit and the pencil here in the UK. Fortunately I found myself in the US just before Thanksgiving and took advantage of the lower tax level and an excellent Best Buy pre-Black Friday deal to get the whole shebang for about $850 all in. Still not cheap, but a far cry from the £1100+ I was looking at here in the UK last year!
  • The_Goon 1 Dec 2019 18:49:40 1,452 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The 12.9 inches has ruined me (thatís what she said!). Canít imagine reading comics on anything smaller frankly. High price to pay for just for comics use though.
  • Phattso 1 Dec 2019 18:58:25 25,474 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well yeah. Anyone buying it just for comics is either very well off or a bit of a fool with their money. That said, people would say the same about my gaming PC. Glass houses. :)
  • You-can-call-me-kal 1 Dec 2019 20:34:37 20,080 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I had the old 1st gen big iPad Pro and upgraded to the new 11inch one and its great for comics.
  • JoelStinty 1 Dec 2019 22:35:47 8,927 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I started to read a few more comics digitally of late, and whilst for some stuff i definitely prefer tradebacks and seeing entire page spreads, guided view on comiXology is actually really good. Fancied re-reading ultimate Spiderman again and itís definitely a comic that works well with it. I have definitely noticed the artwork more reading this way especially narrative cues that I do tend to gloss over reading paperbacks. Quite like some of the Ďdirectorí choices they make when they zoom in a little extra on some panels and pan back out on the next tap
  • Mola_Ram 25 Jan 2020 06:03:26 23,984 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am reading Gideon Falls. It's a mystery that is very unsettling in a Twin Peaks kind of way, and the art is great. I don't really know what to compare it to, as I've not read a lot of comics/graphic novels/whatever you want to call them... but yeah, it's great. Recommended.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Jan 2020 06:07:36 23,984 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And I should get back to Fables. I did stop a few years ago when the author started being more overt about putting his political views into the story. But on reflection it wasn't that bad, and I should probably give it another go. I did enjoy it after all!
  • bighairybear65 25 Jan 2020 08:06:54 333 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I keep jumping in and out of 2000AD, Iíve read it on and off for years, Iím old enough to remember when it first came out, was a huge fan as a kid.
    Now I struggle, some of the strips are fantastic, some pretty dire. Dredd as always is.. Dredd, great stuff. The rest seem quite forgettable except a new series, just started, Proteus Vex.. weird and wonderful, breath of fresh air, worth the £3 each week just for that.
    Anyone else reading it?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Jan 2020 09:52:00 13,992 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Brink has been a great recentish addition by Tharg. Thistlebone too. And Lawless in the Megazine.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 25 Jan 2020 10:13:52 3,957 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    bighairybear65 wrote:
    I keep jumping in and out of 2000AD, Iíve read it on and off for years, Iím old enough to remember when it first came out, was a huge fan as a kid.
    Now I struggle, some of the strips are fantastic, some pretty dire. Dredd as always is.. Dredd, great stuff. The rest seem quite forgettable except a new series, just started, Proteus Vex.. weird and wonderful, breath of fresh air, worth the £3 each week just for that.
    Anyone else reading it?
    Most of my comic/graphic novel purchases in recent years have been reprints of old 80's stuff I remember including some 2000AD but more Eagle stuff. Actually started off getting them from Hibernia press (a very small Irish operation) before Rebellion bought out the IPC catalogue (now get through them when they have the stuff I am interested in).

Only new 2000AD I have bought was the Villains special last year...
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Jan 2020 11:16:20 13,992 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I love what Rebellion are doing with the Treasury of British Comics imprint alongside 2000ad. The Scream/Misty specials were both fun and the reprints of their original 70s/80s content has had some excellent stuff Iíd never have known about otherwise.

I canít think what the last modern American title to grab my interest was, itís been a long time even for indies.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2020 15:09:48
    Wow Netflix are releasing an adaptation of Locke and Key next week! Great comic but it'll be interesting to see how they manage it as there's a lot of inner monologue if I remember correctly.

Cool though!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.