Following The **OFFICIAL** Comics thread. Page 77

Next Last
  • Deleted user 15 March 2020 09:30:40
    There is a full bundle of all 45 East of West comics for 18.99 Euros on ComiXology. I have the Year One hardback which I thought was brilliant so I've bought the lot for that cheap price, real bargain.

Edited by AaronTurner at 09:30:52 15-03-2020
  • Dr-Strangelove 15 May 2020 15:04:31 2,296 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Having read 6 volumes of Locke and Key before watching the series on Netflix I'm working my way around to the extras now.

Small World - while only 1 short story I really enjoyed the imagination of a replica key house and was one that I could share with my children.

Just received Heaven and Earth, which has 3 short stories and have just read the first one, Open the Moon - really hits you and was good to read after Small World as its set in the same era. Looking forward to reading the other 2.

I don't think there are any more that I can get unless anybody knows of any I've missed?

There is a rumour of a Locke and Key + Sandman cross over.

I've also heard that they are writing/drawing the next set of Locke and Key stories called World War Key, apparently it will examine the lineage and future of the Locke family.

Really can't get enough of this universe.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 15 May 2020 18:50:46 4,278 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The digital versions of the Joe Hill stuff is on Humble at the moment for £12 for the highest tier. Not read any of his stuff myself but thought I would mention as you just discussed his stuff if anyone was interested.
  • Mola_Ram 8 Sep 2020 08:45:28 25,694 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've enjoyed the Amazon show so much that I thought I'd pick up a few issues of The Boys.

...kinda wish I hadn't done that. I guess I should have known what to expect from Garth Ennis; I read and loved Preacher, after all. But this is just about the most Ennis-ey thing I can imagine, and it's really, really unpleasant.

So here's a superhero that everyone likes WELL GUESS WHAT THEY'RE A RAPIST

Oh and here's another popular one WELL GUESS WHAT HE'S A PEDO AND A RAPIST TOO

And that female character? Chances are she's a DRUG ADDICT

SHIT PISS FUCK FAGGOT etc etc. For pages and pages and pages.

I don't remember Preacher being like this, but maybe it was? Maybe I've changed? Either way I think I prefer the TV version of this one.
  • Vice.Destroyer 26 Jan 2021 00:00:50 7,365 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm sure everyone on this thread is aware of Marvel Unlimited, the subscription service that allows you to read 28,000 comics on their service for a monthly/yearly fee. DC has now also jumped into the pool by also offering the same service. Their service has released in US since 21/1/21. And will land in UK in the summer. Had anybody hear made use of VPNs and signed up already? And did they enjoy it?
  • Mola_Ram 11 Apr 2021 04:41:04 25,694 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did I recommend Gideon Falls on here? Can't remember if I did, but anyway it's finished now and is brilliant. It's like a cross between Twin Peaks and Dark (the Netflix series), with a lot of dimension hopping and absolutely bonkers artwork. Only 6 (short) volumes too, so you could burn through it in an afternoon if you wanted to.

I think it's being eyed up as a TV series too, though I've nfi how a lot of this stuff could ever be translated to the screen.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Apr 2021 10:35:42 17,406 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Mola_Ram one of my friends was singing its praises recently.

Off the back of my recent MCU kick Iím looking at superhero stuff again. I got rid of loads when we moved house but classic Claremont X-Men is my current sweet spot.

Got a 2000AD folk horror title called Thistlebone on pre-order too.

My big lockdown 3 Sandman reread never came about in the end
  • Wayne 11 Apr 2021 13:15:52 3,336 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Does anyone know any good sites or databases for helping collect comics? Iím trying to buy all the Marvel Star Wars tradepaperbacks but Iím really struggling to find a definitive list, or keep track of new releases.
  • Vortex808 11 Apr 2021 13:39:33 15,110 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I've enjoyed the Amazon show so much that I thought I'd pick up a few issues of The Boys.

I don't remember Preacher being like this, but maybe it was? Maybe I've changed? Either way I think I prefer the TV version of this one.
    I felt the other way round. I really loved The Boys, but couldn't get on with Preacher. I only read one or two, but that seemed to be overly edgelord and i gave up.

I must re-read the boys and see what i think now.

Edited by Vortex808 at 13:39:53 11-04-2021
  • Saul_Iscariot 12 Apr 2021 05:43:12 4,313 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Wayne I cannot remember if this site only deals with novels, but I have it bookmarked:

http://www.starwarstimeline.net/default.html

You could also try Wookieepedia. They have a list of all the canon comics and most likely the trade paperbacks.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Apr 2021 07:20:06 25,694 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

I felt the other way round. I really loved The Boys, but couldn't get on with Preacher. I only read one or two, but that seemed to be overly edgelord and i gave up.

I must re-read the boys and see what i think now.
    I think that if I had read The Boys first my opinion might possibly be different, but I genuinely do think that Preacher was a lot better. The characters were better, for one.

And Preacher had the advantage of being a 90s-ey comic that was actually written in the 90s, whereas The Boys hadn't changed or grown up at all. It makes it feel a bit all "old man yells at cloud", particularly when Ennis starts going on his little political or cultural rants.
  • Wayne 12 Apr 2021 08:16:15 3,336 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Saul_Iscariot Cheers dude!
  • NatanStewart 24 Apr 2021 12:09:10 1 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    I love books and comics.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.